Trip Reports, Visiting Chiang Rai.

villagefarang

The Doi Chang coffee is great......it's a nice wee find when your up there. I'll not be up that way for a few weeks at least, I'm heading down to the Cameron Highlands in a couple of weeks then I've got a wedding to attend in Isaan mid May. I quite fancy the idea of rolling in to town when Kevjohn is there but don't tell him I said that, he may change his plans at the last minute. biggrin.png

Can't see any reason to change plans............yetsmile.png

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Doi Chang coffee is great......it's a nice wee find when your up there. I'll not be up that way for a few weeks at least, I'm heading down to the Cameron Highlands in a couple of weeks then I've got a wedding to attend in Isaan mid May. I quite fancy the idea of rolling in to town when Kevjohn is there but don't tell him I said that, he may change his plans at the last minute. biggrin.png

Don't mate...you will love the Rai. Don't worry about theblether....he's a wee pussycat really. laugh.png

I postponed my trip up there. but i am stil going..thumbsup.gif

June might be a good time. We should have some rain by then and things should start to green up a bit. Heading out of town along the river, where they have water, there is a second rice crop in the fields, adding a bit of green but you can’t see much else.

Our nearest hills roughly a kilometer away are completely gone this morning. Things have been getting progressively worse since the last storm we had at the end of last month.

The PM10 is listed as 236 today in Chiang Rai but I suspect it is worse where I am and elsewhere.sad.png

June might be a good time. We should have some rain by then and things should start to green up a bit. Heading out of town along the river, where they have water, there is a second rice crop in the fields, adding a bit of green but you can’t see much else.

Our nearest hills roughly a kilometer away are completely gone this morning. Things have been getting progressively worse since the last storm we had at the end of last month.

The PM10 is listed as 236 today in Chiang Rai but I suspect it is worse where I am and elsewhere.sad.png

VF, I have promised myself this trip from early 2011 so, rain, hail, snow , smoke or sunshine, I will definitely be there.

I am sure the good points about Chiang Rai will outway the not so good points and the more I read the more determined I am to make this visit.

Have to try those fried bananas that you mentioned in "Chiang Rai Sky"....thumbsup.gif

VF, I have promised myself this trip from early 2011 so, rain, hail, snow , smoke or sunshine, I will definitely be there.

I am sure the good points about Chiang Rai will outway the not so good points and the more I read the more determined I am to make this visit.

Have to try those fried bananas that you mentioned in "Chiang Rai Sky"....thumbsup.gif

You do not get ot of coffee that easily kevjohns. The smoke will be gone anyway by then. Just be prepared to lose all secrets when the wives start talking.

I like your persistence Kevin..

I wanted to go this week but i got stuck underway and had to return.

Rain, hail, snow, dust.. Didn't matter to me as well. But this hammock i found on the way. i just couldn't get out!

post-70928-0-63191900-1365395634_thumb.j

You do not get ot of coffee that easily kevjohns. The smoke will be gone anyway by then. Just be prepared to lose all secrets when the wives start talking.

Your coffee with VF's fried banana......If nothing else, that is a good reason to visit.....wink.png

Rain, hail, snow, dust.. Didn't matter to me as well. But this hammock i found on the way. i just couldn't get out!

attachicon.gifIMG_8736.jpg

Don't let the hammock stop you............roll it up and take it to your next stop.

Note to self......be careful of hammocks. Don't get side tracked.

attachicon.gifIMG_8736.jpg

Don't let the hammock stop you............roll it up and take it to your next stop.

Note to self......be careful of hammocks. Don't get side tracked.

Second note...do not place hammock under coconut tree with coconuts on it. If apples were coconuts Newton would not have suvived to revolutionise science.

My gf and I are heading to CR tomorrow, two nights in the town staying at Huanchandee Hotel, and one night in Mae Sai at Du Doi Suay Resort. Ive never been to CR before, but my gf used to live here a bit.

Its been great reading David and Smokies reviews, I feel like I have a better handle on what to expect. Ill try to post some reviews/pics when I get back as well.

Songkran in Chiang Rai, that should be interesting.smile.png Without a dramatic change in the weather you won’t be seeing or photographing any pretty mountains from the, look at pretty mountains resort.wink.png

Be extra careful out there on the roads, as well. My guess is, you will come back with more people, lifestyle and holiday action shots than landscapes. Not the prettiest time of year to visit Chiang Rai but if you like a bit of fun and revelry you will have a great time.

If your girlfriend has family or friends in the area that will make it all the better. Have a great holiday and we are looking forward to your review and pics.smile.png

Weather report called for rain today but so far it is a no show. Today is slightly better than it was a few days ago but that is not saying much.

We avoid town during Songkran but I am sure some places will be more fun than others. You might try one of the river locations since you are going to get wet anyway. Don’t forget tomorrow (Saturday) evening is our famous walking street and something you shouldn’t miss.

Things have already started in our village with a couple of stations manned by 8 to 10 kids throwing bucket of water at anyone who passes on the main road. I suspect every village between here and town will be the same and it should continue for up to two weeks.

Best to have a fallback position I'd say

Weather report called for rain today but so far it is a no show. Today is slightly better than it was a few days ago but that is not saying much.

We avoid town during Songkran but I am sure some places will be more fun than others. You might try one of the river locations since you are going to get wet anyway. Don’t forget tomorrow (Saturday) evening is our famous walking street and something you shouldn’t miss.

Things have already started in our village with a couple of stations manned by 8 to 10 kids throwing bucket of water at anyone who passes on the main road. I suspect every village between here and town will be the same and it should continue for up to two weeks.

Two weeks!

Is this the longest duration water throwing event in Thailand?

Okay it may only be 10 or 11 days, looking at the calendar.wink.png It keeps the kids busy during the day while the adults recover, well, just enough to be able to start drinking again. Who knows, perhaps it is part of the government plan to reduce “dust” in the air by throwing water. It must work as you don’t see many dusty motorcycles on the road.whistling.gif

Okay it may only be 10 or 11 days, looking at the calendar.wink.png It keeps the kids busy during the day while the adults recover, well, just enough to be able to start drinking again. Who knows, perhaps it is part of the government plan to reduce “dust” in the air by throwing water. It must work as you don’t see many dusty motorcycles on the road.whistling.gif

Even 10 or 11 days is an impressively solid commitment to such fun and high jinks

Even 10 or 11 days is an impressively solid commitment to such fun and high jinks

Farmers come from hardy stock with good stamina. Besides what else is a kid to do all day?biggrin.png

Farmers come from hardy stock with good stamina. Besides what else is a kid to do all day?biggrin.png

And it is very hot

Sounds like we need to make plans for a mid June get-together here in the Rai.:)

I am in Europe until mid June. Will try to get to CR late June or early July. I hope to meet some of you then.

Meanwhile, a brief "update" from our small town on the Lake of Zurich. Spring has finally sprung. Fantastic to break out hiking shoes and grease the bikes....but will miss mulled wine in front of roaring fires. It's interesting how quickly nature reinvigorates. This morning the trees were brown and this evening their flowers had bloomed. Asparagus is on sale -- wonderful steamed with hollandaise sauce and variety of smoked meats. I await peas, such an under-appreciated vegetable. Great in soups, risotto or just buttered. I'd better stop or will be tempted to nick a midnight snack!

We had a great time in CR. Driving around town on a motorbike during the peak of the songkran fesitivities was a bit harrowing, but somehow we emerged unscathed. I couldn't get enough of the Northern food, the sausages, the naam prik, ngam neow, etc..

Unfortunately, we had to spend some time at Overbrook hospital as my gf fell in a hole on the sidewalk and scraped herself up pretty bad. So that kinda put a damper on the trip as we had to constantly clean the wound and change the dressing, but we made the most out of it and the hospital staff were kind and efficient. The police even let us off after stopping us for no helmets when we told them we were going to the hospital.

On the third day we ditched the motorcycle for a car and drove up to Mae Salong. Peaceful, quiet and beautiful. Amazed me how the people on the way up the mountain gather at seemingly very dangerous spots to throw water on passersby. It is all in good spirit of course, but I was often wondering how the heck they would get to these spots along the road as I wouldn't see a parked motorcycle or car. Bought some nuts and had a nice chinese meal at the top before heading back down. We stayed at a nice place on the way to Mae Sai which was mostly empty, but had beautiful views of the mountains (my gf said the locals say the mountain we were looking at is shaped like a woman laying down).

We went to Tachilek our final morning just to experience the craziness of the border. So many different people crossing over, so many cultures and smells, sights around. Loved it. Didn't stay long and didn't buy much at the market as it was just copied stuff from China, nothing that seemed like a "must have" to me.

All in all a nice time besides having to help my gf hobble around and daily trips to overbrook. I definitely would like to spend more time in the area...so much to see..

post-63733-0-05109400-1366354893_thumb.j

Thanks for the report kblaze, and sorry we damaged your girlfriend, effecting your ability to enjoy your visit to its full potential. Please come back again when the views are at their best and people are a little less rowdy. There really is a lot more to see, so start making plans.

The boarder is worth seeing, but I agree it is hard to find anything worth buying, in my opinion. Hope your girlfriend is feeling better and again thanks for the trip report.smile.pngwai.gif

Yes, and thanks for the recommendation on the walking street/night market, I actually enjoyed those much more than the Tachilek market. Also found a place World Class Hamburgers that satisfied by farang food craving late one night. Regarding the gf; it was just ridiculous misfortune. I saw them setting up a parade and so we pulled over to the sidewalk to check it out. and then bam, down she goes. Im just thankful she didnt break her leg because of the way it was caught in the little hole. Locals did come over to make sure we were ok, and then some other people put a paper plate over the hole with a little stick on top. Ive lived in BKK for over 5 years now and the turnover rate of foreigners in the big city is quite high, thus there is a lot more of the vacationing/only here on business temporarily - types than what I saw in CR. The foreigners I ran into in CR seemed much more acclimated, spoke Thai incredibly well, and were just all around more seasoned. Much diff than the majority of the foreigner crowd in BKK.

... Ive lived in BKK for over 5 years now and the turnover rate of foreigners in the big city is quite high, thus there is a lot more of the vacationing/only here on business temporarily - types than what I saw in CR. The foreigners I ran into in CR seemed much more acclimated, spoke Thai incredibly well, and were just all around more seasoned. Much diff than the majority of the foreigner crowd in BKK.

Interesting observation and comparison between Bangkok and Chiang Rai. My experience was a little different but I am sure things have continued to change and evolve, since we moved up here from Bangkok over six years ago.

I found the people I knew over my 30+ years in Bangkok, Thai and Farang, were a bit more worldly and current than the people of Chiang Rai, both Thai and Farang. I have found residents of Chiang Rai to be much older for the most part, than friends in Bangkok, with a few notable exceptions.

Chiang Rai demographics are changing but it still leans toward that of a retirement community where people come to fade away and stretch their retirement funds. The people I find more interesting only seem to drop in from time to time, using Chiang Rai as an escape from the stress of modernity and the big city. Chiang Rai continues to evolve, so it will be interesting to see what things look like in another five or ten years.

Reading these reports is very enjoyable,but instead of reporting on a past trip I'd like some some comments and recommendations on an upcoming trip to your part of the world.Friends,husband and wife 60yrs old traveling to Holland are breaking the long haul from Oz with 5days in the Nth.They've done a lot of traveling but never been in Thai before.So I've got the job of packing 3 days and 2 nights with sights
worthy of the Nth and remembering.Forgot,mid June.

Proposed itinerary.

Day 1 Chiang Mai>>Chiang Rai. Wat Rong Khun,Ob Kham Museum,Wat Phra Kaew. Evening Night Bazaar,feed and a stroll(weekday VF) Accomm.Toon Baan Malai.

Day 2( I'm worried if i can squeeze all this in)Baan Si Daam>>Chiang Saen>>Mae Sai>>Mae Fa Luang Gardens>>Maesalong.Accomm.

Maesalong Mountain Home.

Day 3 Just an easy meander back to CM via Tha Ton, Hwy 107.Stopping anywhere that strikes their fancy.So what I'm asking is this doable in the time,anything more worthy around this timeframe,and certainly any "Don't go there,don't do it"

Have been to your fine city before and enjoyed very much please help me do it again.Regards and thanks in advance Kim.

Archived