After 10 Years Issan Still Amazes Me.

jamescollister

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visit North east Thailand a number of times through the year and i make it a condition of my visit that i do not get involved in all that crap to do with praying to gold leaf statues, Monks,Temples, and Merit making. My wife also sincerely believes its crap and she is convinced its a way to keep Thai people subservient and poor. She has lived in Europe for 10 years. The Duke of Wellington once said " If i was born in a stable does that make me a horse " ....in otherwords i am Falang and that i shall remain in my everyday living, i am here for the weather, and maybe cheap living, nothing else clap2.gif

This is a great thread. I don't live in Issan but know it well enough. My wife's parents both hail from the region.

Last September we were married there. Lots of old people with scant money tied 100b notes to our wrists and were both happy and proud to do it. I felt like such a loser taking this money. No more such than an from an old guy with one arm. Now how difficult is it being a one armed farmer in Sisaket?! He really brought a tear to my eye. When the drama was over and we were relieved of our banknotes, I tried to find the guy and give him as well as all the very old people their money back. He made his contribution and best wishes to our marriage and was gone. He met the village committment - to a farang and his wife from Bangkok. That to me shows real character. When we return I will find him and give him a gift. But old ladies too...walking in the heat to our wedding, walking back home. Giving us money however small.

*My MIL is very supportive of the moo bahn and especially the wat (actually two). She has forever gone to wedfings herself and supported the couples despite having only one potentially marriagable child out of three. She saw the day as payback ☺ We gave her all the money plus 30k (15 from each of us).

Edited by bangkokburning