Bangkok Hospital In Ubon Ratchathani

ubonrthai

Bangkok Hospital is looking at building a hospital in Ubon. Here's an article in Thai from last year about it. I heard that they may have purchased some of the land (currently being filled) behind where the Central Mall is being built, but I can't find any official news about it. Anyone else heard anything? This would be a significant improvement in healthcare for this area. I know others have had good experiences but we have had nothing but disappointments at each hospital in Ubon. Everything from wrong diagnosis to giving my kid someone else's IV bag. We go to Bangkok for anything more than a cold now.

ever tried Ubonrak Thonburi Hospital ? I was fairly satisfied with their service. Naturally it does not come close to the likes of Bangkok Hospital with their extensive equipment. However for average, not so complicated treatments I rate it a proper hospital. I needed intensive care on one occasion, the receiving doctor had studied abroad and spoke perfect english and treated me with success

Many times. That's where they gave my infant son someone else's IV bag. I barely caught them in time. They also gave poor care for my pregnant wife and their open door lab seems odd. I know quality is doctor/nurse dependent but it will be nice to have more variety of equipment and doctors if they do build one here.

Edited by ubonrthai

I went to Ubon Rak to have an operation to widen my left inner ear canal. The doctor did a splendid job. I went to Dr Sima's clinic to have lazer treatments on both eyes for cataracts. Now after 50 years, I know longer wear glasses. my son went to Ubon Rak for dental treatment. My friend had heart surgery at Saphasit hospital. I think the the treatment in Ubon is pretty good.

• Like 1

I had back surgery at Ubon Ruk which went well.

However spare a thought for the late Paul (Radar) Jellis an Englishman in his mid fifties who had an operation on his Pancreas in Ubon. The operation was successful.

Unfortunately whilst in recovery the wrong drugs were given and not enough oxygen was administered, which resulted in Paul collapsing into a coma and after many awful months his ultimate death. It was and is an awful story. :(

I went to Ubon Rak hospital to get wax removed from my ear. The doctor gave me antibiotics.

I too have problems with ear wax removal. I tried in the states to have it removed at a big hospital. I ended up with a training Physician's assistant poking and digging in my ear. The pain was too much and I stopped the procedure without getting the wax out.

Went to Rajavej Hospital in Ubon. Just down the road from Big C. It was late at night and I was seen in the emergency room. The on call doctor was a surgeon and removed it without any pain. Very pleasant experience. I received antibiotics as well.

Edited by jcb2001

I went to Ubon Rak hospital to get wax removed from my ear. The doctor gave me antibiotics.

That's a normal treatment for an infected ear, which normally results in ear wax build-up. He must have seen some inflamation. (otherwise - yes you are right the doctor was a plonker!)

Just came out of Ubon Rak yesterday (pneumonia - 2 days of intravenous antibiotics and a whole panoply of drugs finally seems to have reversed a three month coughing and wheezing decline). Fairly simple stuff in medical terms but that plus my treatment for the Issan liver fluke parasite plus wife's caeserian plus ongoing baby/toddler clinic have left me with a generally positive impression. The doctors, male and female seem relaxed and friendly and mostly can get by in English.

It is worth checking your own drugs at any hospital though. I try not to take anything unfamiliar, except in emergency, that I have not checked out on the internet. Some Thai nurses get a bit frosty with that!

More high end hi-tech competition welcome nonetheless, if that's what Bangkok Hospital offers.

However spare a thought for the late Paul (Radar) Jellis an Englishman in his mid fifties who had an operation on his Pancreas in Ubon. The operation was successful.

Unfortunately whilst in recovery the wrong drugs were given and not enough oxygen was administered, which resulted in Paul collapsing into a coma and after many awful months his ultimate death. It was and is an awful story. sad.png

You're right. It was a real tragic event for all involved. But Radar's liver was pretty much done. I know that certain liver tests have to be done, when doing such an operation. Some medicine has to be given, if the liver functions are good, or not.

He'd once told me that he'd rather like to die, than quit drinking.

His HD a kind of disappeared after his death. Wife/gf had no access to his account while he's in a coma for many many moons.

Let's hope that there's enough beer where he went to....wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

The Faculty of Medicine at Ubon Ratchathani University will open its hospital later this year. One can see the building from the main road right next to the PTT petrol station. In time it is expected to equal Khon Kaen University hospital. Want some young students practising and honing their incissions on you?

The Faculty of Medicine at Ubon Ratchathani University will open its hospital later this year. One can see the building from the main road right next to the PTT petrol station. In time it is expected to equal Khon Kaen University hospital. Want some young students practising and honing their incissions on you?

post-103222-1360223005517_thumb.jpg

post-103222-1360223005517_thumb.jpg

The photo does not make sense. The hospital looks nothing like that. It is a lovely building right on the main Warin-Det Udorn road next to the PTT Petrol station.

Unfortunately whilst in recovery the wrong drugs were given and not enough oxygen was administered, which resulted in Paul collapsing into a coma and after many awful months his ultimate death. It was and is an awful story. sad.png

You're right. It was a real tragic event for all involved. But Radar's liver was pretty much done. I know that certain liver tests have to be done, when doing such an operation. Some medicine has to be given, if the liver functions are good, or not.

He'd once told me that he'd rather like to die, than quit drinking.

His HD a kind of disappeared after his death. Wife/gf had no access to his account while he's in a coma for many many moons.

Let's hope that there's enough beer where he went to....wai2.gif

I have no idea about his previous condition before going into hospital. The bottom line for me is that he was given the wrong medicine and when discovered did not respond quick enough. They then treated him like a dog while he was in a coma and this only slightly improved when a expat lawyer took an interest in what was going on. When UK embassy staff turned up to investigate they lied to them as well.

He may well have died from his own hand in due course but that is no reason for a hospital to hurry it along through sheer incompetence followed by lying, covering up and bullying.

Edited by MeMock