"manly Man" Needs Class A Pedicure

CecilEugene

I don't need my nails just trimmed I need harden skin ( callouses) attended to also. (Back in the States they use some kind of file.) they would soak and wash my feet. I got a pedicure here and it sucked I even had to request a moisturizer afterward. No brainer? I need to take care of my feet. I need a good pedicure once a month. Basically the lady soaked my feet and trimmed my nails. I am used to better care in the States. I know I can get a better job done in CM but where?

Basically I am looking for a pedicurist that will at least.......

File toenails straight across, rounding them slightly at the corners to conform to the shape of the toe. Use the toenail nippers to remove the underside of the corners so they will not 'dig' into my flesh.

Give a me a foot bath and allow my feet to soak for at least a few minutes.

Apply cuticle remover and massage it into the cuticle and if loose cuticle skin is apparent, remove it by nipping with the cuticle nippers, being careful not to cut any live tissue. They need to know to gently push back the cuticle a little and clean under the edge.

Scrub feet and toenails with a nail brush being sure to cleanse the nail and underneath its edge.

Deal with the build up of calloused skin with skilled use of a file. And know this needs to take multiple sessions with me over some time because my callouses are still pretty deep.

Massage and moisturize my feet.

Is there any reliable place to get a good job done?

Maybe a podiatrist will be the best bet? If so, where should I look for one of them?

Edited by CecilEugene

You need to go to a dedicated nail shop or a spa to get it done right. There, the technicians are generally trained at a government vocational school and understand infection and so forth. Their certificates with their photos are posted on the wall. More expensive than your local village 'beauty shop' hack. But more than 1/2 the people working in the village shops or even in shops in the city have no idea what they are doing and will injure your feet. For years we had a girl that came to the house and was a trained expert but unfortunately she has since moved to Rayong.

You can buy Dr. Scholl foot care products at good pharmacies.

Nice Nails on Chang Klan Rd. is a proper nail salon. It's located across from Butter is Better, so you can enjoy a manly-meal before your pedicure.

Also, B2Nails, near the Shell Station on Huey Kaew does a good job. That's close to home for us and Hubby goes once a month for his feet. I go once a week, but I'm not a manly man and manicures need more attention.

Inspect your feet after they do the filing and let them know if you want them to do more work -- they're "afraid" of taking off too much and causing bleeding.

You can buy foot files at Boots and also at Central Dept. Store, Kad Suan Kaew. You may find your feet callous more here if you wear sandles and do a lot of walking. I do a bit of callous removal to my feet after every swim session.

Oh, be careful about falling asleep during a session -- Hubby did and woke to find they'd painted a clear finish" on his nails -- I pointed out most women call that "nail polish".

Edited by NancyL

I, for one, appreciate answers like those helpful suggestions with specific shops given by Nancy L (as usual).

Just wonderful - answering a question from a relative newbie by helping! Bravo!

Oh, and any idea what the charge is, Nancy L? I've just sprained (or sprung or sprangled) my back somewhat and might ease it a bit by buttering on the inside and then going across the road to avoid bending way down past my toes, ouch.

I remember going to a massage joint in Shenzen years ago and they also cut all the dead skin of your feet. Afterward my mates shoes were too big for him

I would suggest that if they pull out one of those things with a razor blade on it and try to cut skin off your feet, you are at the wrong place. Those are very dangerous. People trained properly never use that. They use the file. The g/f told me that at the Chinese beauty shop inside Kad Luang that they soak your feet in acid to remove old skin. Another non-professional and dangerous approach.

I visited a 'Spa come massage' establishment in Loi Kroh a few months ago, I cannot recall the name but its a couple of hundred yards down on the right (coming from the moat), all I can tell you is that the woman they used only works on 'call out' I had to wait 10 mins for her to turn up but it was worth the wait she did an excellent job.

I have tried loads and she was by far the best.

No this isn't just a ladies topic. Smart men, especially those of a "certain age" know that a good professional pedicure is not only enjoyable, but a way to prevent future foot problems.

About cost -- expect to pay anywhere from 250 to 350 baht for a pedicure from one of the nail salons. You'll pay more if you have one at a spa that's part of a 5 star hotel and you can find them for less from those gals who set up chairs in the Thai markets or by the side of Loi Kroh Road. Personally, I wouldn't go to one of those places. Most of the salons have a "package price" for having a manicure and pedicure at the same time, so you might want to try it, guys. Don't worry -- it will just make your hands look nicely groomed, not girly.

Once I went to a place in Bangkok at Siam Paragon Mall that was suppose to be the best place in Thailand (according to some ladies' forums). I paid 1000 baht for a pedicure. It was fun and the chair was really fancy, but I couldn't see where the quality of the pedicure was any better than Nice Nails or B2Nails.

5555, love the fact you have to preface your pedicure request with the "manly man" statement. Not really necessary though. I never understood why guys let themselves go all in the name of "manliness". If taking care of myself (toes included) makes me seem like a girly man then so be it. I'd rather look nice and presentable.

I haven't been around in a while so I don't know if it's still there, but on the second floor of KSK, just across from the back door of the department store, there was a wonderful foot nail, massage, facial, hair salon, that used to give me great foot care. Soaked for 10 minutes before beginning, cut correctly, cuticles pushed and trimed, etc. I would't let them file the nails as I REALLY can't stand the feeling of having that done (like nails on a chalkboard to me...) and cost about 250 baht. Saved a lot of wear and tear on my back!

Let me add this side note: for those prone to ingrown toenails, I've discovered that thinning the nail where it curves over and in with some 400 grit sandpaper stops the problem before it happens... The pressure of the toe when standing pushes the the thinner nail back into the proper angle.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that place on the 2nd floor of KSK near the "back entrance" to Central Dept Store. That's the entrance near the stuff for car care, mosquito zappers, and small light fixtures -- plus the best toilet facilities in KSK -- so you guys probably know about that entrance.

Yes, they do a good job with pedicures. I'd left them off my short list because their selection of nail colors is miserable and the ladyboy who runs the place always try to upsell me on some other service, but the gals who do the pedicures are good. (Don't worry, the ladyboy doesn't actually touch you!) I think the place is called Monica or Monique -- something like that.

Edited by NancyL