Isaan Girls With Farang Partners Abroad

Jezz

I spent a year living in Isaan in my mid-20s. I used to love hearing these stories down in the local nightspots. Told by the GF's enjoying a bottle of Black Label with their Thai BF.

You missed ou the bit about, enjoying a bottle of BL that the farang BF paid for by sending money every month.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate most of your posts Semper but whats with everyone assuming Issan families are rife with blugers?

My wife has 2 brothers, 1 is a chef at Novotel in BKK and the other has a shop in CM.

As for our house in Issan, its for our daughter.

but whats with everyone assuming Issan families are rife with blugers?

How about personal observation?

How about a distant family member shoving a hand palm upwards in front of your face, not so much as a wai or any attempt to communicate, they wouldnt dare try that shit with another Thai.

How about family being offered work that they turn down?

Yes there are many honest hardworking families out there, who wouldnt ever consider asking for a handout, personal pride and loss of face etc etc.

Lets consider where many of these farang met their partners, lets consider many farang were throwing money around as if it were going out of fashion, lets look at some of these mia farang throwing money around trying to gain face and status, is it any wonder some distant family member wants a piece of the action?

I appreciate most of your posts Semper but whats with everyone assuming Issan families are rife with blugers?

My wife has 2 brothers, 1 is a chef at Novotel in BKK and the other has a shop in CM.

In my family everyone works hard. Some in-laws work abroad, labouring hard to support their families back home. Others work in offices and factories in Bangkok. The youngest nephew-in-law, still at school, is already preparing for a career in the army. M.I.L., F.I.L, S.I.L. and my wife take care of the farm. Me? I'm getting on a bit and just help out by driving the pick-up either around the farmland, on domestic trips and sometimes further afield.

BTW, I really started this topic out of curiosity regarding whether or not Isaan girls living abroad with their partners were actually, genuinely happy to do so, as I said at post #13 after realising the title I used for the thread could have been better. Nevertheless, some interesting responses.

How about a distant family member shoving a hand palm upwards in front of your face, not so much as a wai or any attempt to communicate, they wouldnt dare try that shit with another Thai.

Yes there are many honest hardworking families out there, who wouldnt ever consider asking for a handout, personal pride and loss of face etc etc.

Lets consider where many of these farang met their partners, lets consider many farang were throwing money around as if it were going out of fashion, lets look at some of these mia farang throwing money around trying to gain face and status, is it any wonder some distant family member wants a piece of the action?

Your personal observation not mine and many other happy observations.

Just cause your not happy doesnt mean we all are. Im loving it!

In my family everyone works hard. Some in-laws work abroad, labouring hard to support their families back home. Others work in offices and factories in Bangkok. The youngest nephew-in-law, still at school, is already preparing for a career in the army. M.I.L., F.I.L, S.I.L. and my wife take care of the farm. Me? I'm getting on a bit and just help out by driving the pick-up either around the farmland, on domestic trips and sometimes further afield.

BTW, I really started this topic out of curiosity regarding whether or not Isaan girls living abroad with their partners were actually, genuinely happy to do so, as I said at post #13 after realising the title I used for the thread could have been better. Nevertheless, some interesting responses.

Yeah well im 37 and so is my wife, not that it matters alot, just giving you a scope of things and she is happy here in Oz although we both miss the farm and our house alot.
  • Like 1

Yeah well im 37 and so is my wife, not that it matters alot, just giving you a scope of things and she is happy here in Oz although we both miss the farm and our house alot.

Glad you are both happy, and I understand why you can miss things back in Thailand. Good luck to both of you. I lived in Oz ,(Perth) years ago before you were born. Loved it.
  • Like 1

Your personal observation not mine and many other happy observations.

Just cause your not happy doesnt mean we all are. Im loving it!

Yes personal observations, and also that of others I know.

Didnt say I wasnt happy, au contraire, I am sabai sabai, probably due to the fact, I wasnt ripped off for sin sot, I dont pay a woman to stay with me, the mrs doesnt give handouts to anyone including family.

Its all about choice of partner, those who chose from the Hansum Man bar may have a different story to tell and usually do.

Actually it does matter quite a lot, at 37 you can still have an attractive and desirable 37 YO wife.

If you were 57, you would be less likely to have an attractive and desirable 57 YO wife.

For me, at 57, I am happy with my attractive and desirable 37 YO wife.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Actually it does matter quite a lot, at 37 you can still have an attractive and desirable 37 YO wife.

If you were 57, you would be less likely to have an attractive and desirable 57 YO wife.

For me, at 57, I am happy with my attractive and desirable 37 YO wife.

Not bad Thommo, thing is men get better with age, women dont. My dad tops it hes 65 and she(Thai girl) 33. Their daughter my half sister is 5.
  • Like 1

Going back to the op. I have seen a survey that states that over 90% of Isaan ladies married to foreigners live overseas. For the most part they are happy. They can get jobs, whereas their foreign husbands in Thailand can not unless they are in an executive position or buy a business or farm. The survey did not ask how much money they remitted each month back to their families in Thailand. Some return to Thailand on a yearly basis, others every five years or so, some never.

• Like 1

Going back to the op. I have seen a survey that states that over 90% of Isaan ladies married to foreigners live overseas. For the most part they are happy. They can get jobs, whereas their foreign husbands in Thailand can not unless they are in an executive position or buy a business or farm. The survey did not ask how much money they remitted each month back to their families in Thailand. Some return to Thailand on a yearly basis, others every five years or so, some never.

Thanks, Michael. Very informative.

No harm in having a discussion I guess, but be honest guys, do you really care one jot how much money another guy can afford to part with if the mood takes him. I don't, I know a guy who is thinking about building in Thailand...."very nice " I said, gave him a rough idea of what he would spend "Go ahead enjoy" I said...I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience, building inThailand is fun. Same if some guy wants to send money, I say go ahead... why not.....if it makes the recipients happy and it makes you happy that is all that matters....right?

What makes me happy is watching a farang build a Thai woman, her parents, and her sister houses. The reason it makes me happy is because it isn't me who's doing it. biggrin.png

You forgot their sons and daughters.

And her 'brother'.

Guess you meant brothers.....w00t.gif

A few years back we helped the MIL to get a multiple entry VISA for the USA so she could visit Hawaii for a couple of months. After one month away from the village she wanted to go back (homesick for Buriram), but it was good that she got to see how we live in Hawaii. Also the MIL was driving my wife crazy because she was always telling her that she needs to be taking better care of me. I like my Thai MIL!

• Like 1

My wife is from Korat and we live where ever my work takes us (over the last 12 years = Singapore and Malaysia). She doesn't like to live in my native country, which is England, and neither do I. Luckily Thailand is never too far away although I don't get much chance to go myself due to my work. She can come and go as she pleases, we have 2 girls, the youngest stays with us and is at school, our eldest stays with "our" family in Thailand.

My wife has visited England twice but didn't like it (although my family over there are great, it was the place in general she didn't get on with). I left in 92, or should I say escaped, no plan to go back. The plan is to retire in Thailand in about 10 years from now. She can speak to her family on the phone or computer, shares bank accounts with me, shares my bed and life, I thought that marriage was about this kind of thing.

I have posted many times on the forum on how we are a "big" happy family. I think I must be lucky to have such a warm, loving, friendly, functioning and close Thai family. We help each other out, as families do, it is far from one way. No brothers, sisters ask for anything and support themselves. We help to support her parents who are looking after our eldest girl (severely mentally disabled) and help is given if help is required (rarely).

I hear of, or rather read on this forum, some quite strange views of people who are (or who claim to be) ingegrated with Thailand and Thai people. Very strange as to go to the point of giving them a really good slagging off.blink.png (if it's not what you wanted or expected, don't blame others, just move and treat it as another lesson in life).

This is not me, it was me that imposed myself onto Thailand and not the other way round. If I was having a bad time or not enjoying life I would change it for the better--------------and that would include my family.

Cheerssmile.png

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

Forgot to add. I have taken my MIL overseas a couple of times, but as rsokolowski experienced, she was home sick. (nerver felt that way about the UK, couldn't wait to get out of the place).

tongue.png

To add again.

There is another post running in the Isaan forum relating to my above posts.

http://www.thaivisa....till-amazes-me/

To those concerned, I offer apologies for my last post, but my op still stands. It seems that many members "like" the post far more than the negative replies.

Would I say my Isaan wife (well, Korat is not quite Isaan, but not far off) is happy living abroad with her foreign partner? If she wasn't she wouldn't be with me. Shame she doesn't like Sheffield United also, but you ca't have everything I guess.

Edited by soihok

rolleyes.gif Your name speaks for itself.

Don't every tar everyone with the same brush.......................not every circumstance is the same as the guys you know.

Perhaps you are moving in the wrong circles?

Edited by soihok
  • Like 1

My Wife is from Surin & proud of it & I believe She is happy living here in the Uk.

We know severale Thai Farang couples in the area & they all give the impression of being happy living in the UK.

In the 6 years we have been together we have managed to get back to thailand 3 times together.

I think if your other half has made the commitment to move half way round the world to be with you, you owe it to her to make regular trips to her home country (finances permitting).

This is the point really, its none of our business.

I agree it's up to individuals and not really our business. My curiosity is not so much about the actual costs taken on board, or whether or not the farang undertakes to build, buy land or whatever in Thailand. Rather, it's about how many girls are actually happy to live abroad. Several friends I've met here in Isaan who are about to or have recently taken their new wives back to live in their own countries all express concern about whether their new partners will settle contentedly in a foreign environment. They worry that after a year or so, the lady will miss her home and family too much. Obviously being able to send money home helps in that area but it's the longer term and financial requirements that cause my friends to fret from the outset. I note from a couple of replies that not all Thai girls want to come back very often.

My Thai wife came here to New Zealand around 10 years ago.

She has never stopped working since her feet hit the ground and takes good care of her 94 year old father back in upcountry Thailand.

We can get everything that she needs as far as food goes right here.

Also there are other Thai people here to eat with.

We have a Thai lady friend that went to England but cant get the food that she would like.

What I am trying to say is that for the Thai people that we know, food and eating is really important.

It is a social thing and something that they have to do.

I would say for anyone taking one of these people out of Thailand give this some thought.

As far as travel to Thailand goes we/she try to go once a year but only really only because she has to and when her father passes away, I doubt it will be that often.

We have a better holiday when we visit another country where there are few or no Thais.

No face, no family, no presure ect..

The Thais that we have met seem to be very adaptable people and integrate well most of the time.

• Like 1

This is the point really, its none of our business.

I agree it's up to individuals and not really our business. My curiosity is not so much about the actual costs taken on board, or whether or not the farang undertakes to build, buy land or whatever in Thailand. Rather, it's about how many girls are actually happy to live abroad. Several friends I've met here in Isaan who are about to or have recently taken their new wives back to live in their own countries all express concern about whether their new partners will settle contentedly in a foreign environment. They worry that after a year or so, the lady will miss her home and family too much. Obviously being able to send money home helps in that area but it's the longer term and financial requirements that cause my friends to fret from the outset. I note from a couple of replies that not all Thai girls want to come back very often.

My Thai wife came here to New Zealand around 10 years ago.

She has never stopped working since her feet hit the ground and takes good care of her 94 year old father back in upcountry Thailand.

We can get everything that she needs as far as food goes right here.

Also there are other Thai people here to eat with.

We have a Thai lady friend that went to England but cant get the food that she would like.

What I am trying to say is that for the Thai people that we know, food and eating is really important.

It is a social thing and something that they have to do.

I would say for anyone taking one of these people out of Thailand give this some thought.

As far as travel to Thailand goes we/she try to go once a year but only really only because she has to and when her father passes away, I doubt it will be that often.

We have a better holiday when we visit another country where there are few or no Thais.

No face, no family, no presure ect..

The Thais that we have met seem to be very adaptable people and integrate well most of the time.

Couldn't agree more about the bit about food, were we live in the UK we are fortunate to have a very good chinese cash & carry that stocks a large selection of Thai ingredients, there is very little we can't get hold of.

To be honest I meet a girl in Issan dated and every thing was good until the parents wanted so much a month from me then I thought this is wrong to me. I aggred on the wedding gold money to family but the monthly income given to the parents I could not agree with , so u know the rest of that story

I'm sure it was a difficult decision to walk away but you did what you had to do, IMHO.

When it starts out wrong, it never gets any better :)

It sounds like you may have lost control of your situation and feel the need to vent about it.

• Like 2

It sounds like you may have lost control of your situation and feel the need to vent about it.

As I said personal observation, not venting only stating what I witnessed.

This took place at a friends house (in Surin, yeah I know) I shook my head in disbelief and asked why he didnt tell the relative to piss off, the answer, keeps the mrs happy.

One of my ex-gf's is from Isaan and married a British man. She lives in England with him. The first year seemed a bit rough, but I think it was due more to culture clash of the man and woman instead of living in England. Once they adjusted to each other, it seems they are doing great. He works full time, she works too. She sends money back from her earnings and had a house built in the village. They go to Thailand every year or two to visit. Eventually he will get older and retire and they plan to live in Thailand once he retires.

Great woman and good family. Her husband is a good guy too.

• Like 1

We have lived in Australia for about 3 years, My wife is happy, She has a group of good friends, has a job and earns Her own money, She sends a little home to the parents about $1000au 3 times a year, We try to go back for a holiday once a year. I think it comes down to climate we are in Queensland so its not crazy cold and that makes it a lot easier on the girls. We are both in our late 30's and we both understand we can have a much better future by staying in Australia....maybe one day we may retire to Thailand, but She has no interest in being anywhere near Her family....to much crap that goes on in the villages.

As others have said above, food is probably the most important thing, that and friends to eat the food with, we have some good shops near by and my wife loves to garden so has all the Thai herbs and plants in our garden as well.

Edited by rick75

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

• Like 2

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

As your wife is a US Citizen and working, consider fulfilling her SSA time requirements. That pension will go a long way in Si Saket.