Isaan Girls With Farang Partners Abroad

Jezz

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

As your wife is a US Citizen and working, consider fulfilling her SSA time requirements. That pension will go a long way in Si Saket.

Yes, I've considered that. She only has 6 qualifying quarters now, and I believe you need 40 to qualify. We'd have to stay here in the U.S. a few more years than I'd like. Definitely something to think about though.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

As your wife is a US Citizen and working, consider fulfilling her SSA time requirements. That pension will go a long way in Si Saket.

Yes, I've considered that. She only has 6 qualifying quarters now, and I believe you need 40 to qualify. We'd have to stay here in the U.S. a few more years than I'd like. Definitely something to think about though.

We never think we'll get old when we're young. But we do. I started collecting SS last year and have gotten about 8 payments. Until I checked into it in the year before I started, I had no idea it would be so much. I just hadn't checked. My parents were lower income and mom didn't work, so they got only about $US800 a month which was still a big help. But I get three times that much due to a higher income and therefor higher amounts paid in, and that's just one person. If I was married to someone who was a substantial earner we could double that.

Before someone jumps my bones about taking from the government, I paid about 14% of my gross income into that fund for almost 50 years. With the magic of compound interest, had I been allowed to just put it into the bank and let the interest build, I'd have even more.

So you either should build your SS funds or save at least 15% of your gross income with compounding interest because the day will in fact come when you'll want to retire.

Good luck!!

We never think we'll get old when we're young. But we do. I started collecting SS last year and have gotten about 8 payments. Until I checked into it in the year before I started, I had no idea it would be so much. I just hadn't checked. My parents were lower income and mom didn't work, so they got only about $US800 a month which was still a big help. But I get three times that much due to a higher income and therefor higher amounts paid in, and that's just one person. If I was married to someone who was a substantial earner we could double that.

Before someone jumps my bones about taking from the government, I paid about 14% of my gross income into that fund for almost 50 years. With the magic of compound interest, had I been allowed to just put it into the bank and let the interest build, I'd have even more.

So you either should build your SS funds or save at least 15% of your gross income with compounding interest because the day will in fact come when you'll want to retire.

Good luck!!

Good advice. I have already begun saving quite a bit more than the 15% of gross. My hatred of living here has been a big motivator.

"Good advice. I have already begun saving quite a bit more than the 15% of gross. My hatred of living here has been a big motivator."

Good for you. Have you read up on the magic of compound interest? As in, the first year you save, and then also the second. But while you're saving the second year, the first year is already drawing interest on the interest it earned the first year. The third year the first year has grown and is now drawing interest on the amount you saved, and has the interest it's earned, but it's also drawing interest on the compounding amounts of interest it has earned. The second and third year are now kicking in the same way and on it goes. In 40 years you would be wealthy.

"Good advice. I have already begun saving quite a bit more than the 15% of gross. My hatred of living here has been a big motivator."

Good for you. Have you read up on the magic of compound interest? As in, the first year you save, and then also the second. But while you're saving the second year, the first year is already drawing interest on the interest it earned the first year. The third year the first year has grown and is now drawing interest on the amount you saved, and has the interest it's earned, but it's also drawing interest on the compounding amounts of interest it has earned. The second and third year are now kicking in the same way and on it goes. In 40 years you would be wealthy.

The banks here in the U.S. don't really pay interest unless you get a C.D. or treasuries. And then they don't even keep up with inflation. I've been going the municipal bond route. You don't have to pay taxes on the returns in most cases, and the rate of return is much better than bank interest.

The returns aren't as a good as stocks for example, but with the way companies are being run these days, it seems like I might have a better chance putting everything on red in Vegas and spinning the wheel than buying stocks.

Good advice. I have already begun saving quite a bit more than the 15% of gross. My hatred of living here has been a big motivator.

Maybe you just hate Texas? The US really is a great place to live. Hate is such a strong word.

In Australia your employer has to pay 9% on top of your wage to your retirement fund. A lot of those retirement funds are useless and no capital gains are made and sometimes even go backwards. Thankfully we are allowed to run our own funds (SMSF Self Managed Super Funds) which is what I do and with the extra attention I give it, does much better then the run of the mill fund.

In the US can you run your own fund (ie take control of that 14% you mentioned) and invest it yourself?

I haven't gone through the whole thread. In our 300 soul village in Isaan, there are 9 houses (including mine) built by Farangs, I live here all the time. All the ladies involved (except mine) have 'Thai husbands' that move in as soon as the Farang has gone, some still have reations with the other guy while the Farang is here. About half return back to Pattaya when the guy has gone. The whole village knows it, my wife tried to tell a German guy about what was going on, he was very angry and since then never leaves his house due to shame.

I'm sorry guys, this seems to be normal around here. So many stories, so many STDs being handed around. Every time we go to market I get solicited, my wife gets asked if she can get them a Farang. She did this once, for money and the Thai guy came back from sugar cutting earlier than expected and threw the guy out.

As I say, so many stories.

My wife? Sticks to me night and day.

I met my isaan gf here in Ireland, and sometimes it's hard to tell that her and her friends aren't away from home. They eat Thai food all the time, watch Thai programs on laptops and speak Thai constantly. We go to every Thai event going (which I love) but although she is always homesick, every time we go back she is ready to come back here by the end. I had been to Thailand many times before and twice back since I met her four years ago, her view is that Thailand is HER home but Ireland IS home now.

I haven't gone through the whole thread. In our 300 soul village in Isaan, there are 9 houses (including mine) built by Farangs, I live here all the time. All the ladies involved (except mine) have 'Thai husbands' that move in as soon as the Farang has gone, some still have reations with the other guy while the Farang is here. About half return back to Pattaya when the guy has gone. The whole village knows it, my wife tried to tell a German guy about what was going on, he was very angry and since then never leaves his house due to shame.

I'm sorry guys, this seems to be normal around here. So many stories, so many STDs being handed around. Every time we go to market I get solicited, my wife gets asked if she can get them a Farang. She did this once, for money and the Thai guy came back from sugar cutting earlier than expected and threw the guy out.

Not easy being a hansum man - ehh??

• Like 2

Maybe you just hate Texas? The US really is a great place to live. Hate is such a strong word.

To each his own I guess. I don't "hate" it per se. I just don't like living here. Texas is better than most places I've lived here in the U.S.

In Australia your employer has to pay 9% on top of your wage to your retirement fund. A lot of those retirement funds are useless and no capital gains are made and sometimes even go backwards. Thankfully we are allowed to run our own funds (SMSF Self Managed Super Funds) which is what I do and with the extra attention I give it, does much better then the run of the mill fund.

In the US can you run your own fund (ie take control of that 14% you mentioned) and invest it yourself?

Unfortunately, no. They talked about it back before the dotcom bust, but since then I haven't heard much else about it.

What's even worse is the social security fund is supposed to be separate from the general fund. So the U.S. govt. just turns around and borrows money from the social security fund and basically issues a bunch of IOUs. So who knows if there will be anything left when I retire.

I appreciate most of your posts Semper but whats with everyone assuming Issan families are rife with blugers?

My wife has 2 brothers, 1 is a chef at Novotel in BKK and the other has a shop in CM.

As for our house in Issan, its for our daughter.

but whats with everyone assuming Issan families are rife with blugers?

How about personal observation?

How about a distant family member shoving a hand palm upwards in front of your face, not so much as a wai or any attempt to communicate, they wouldnt dare try that shit with another Thai.

How about family being offered work that they turn down?

Yes there are many honest hardworking families out there, who wouldnt ever consider asking for a handout, personal pride and loss of face etc etc.

Lets consider where many of these farang met their partners, lets consider many farang were throwing money around as if it were going out of fashion, lets look at some of these mia farang throwing money around trying to gain face and status, is it any wonder some distant family member wants a piece of the action?

Your personal observation not mine and many other happy observations.

Just cause your not happy doesnt mean we all are. Im loving it!

Yes personal observations, and also that of others I know.

Didnt say I wasnt happy, au contraire, I am sabai sabai, probably due to the fact, I wasnt ripped off for sin sot, I dont pay a woman to stay with me, the mrs doesnt give handouts to anyone including family.

Its all about choice of partner, those who chose from the Hansum Man bar may have a different story to tell and usually do.

it is astonishing to me how something so completely obvious is so often overlooked

Heard that story all the time and it surely happens in our village too but the choice is surely for the guy to not find his GF/wife in a bar and surely not in Pattaya. I know of many Expat/Isaan relationships that work great and some have been together for half of their life.

• Like 2

The social security rules are very complicated and I don't pretend to know them all. I do however know that because my wife is a US Citizen she will be able to qualify for her own social security check, even though she has never worked a job in the USA, by filing a claim under my fully paid up earning history. She will get approximately 50% of the amount that I am getting.

So your wife will get a check.

The social security rules are very complicated and I don't pretend to know them all. I do however know that because my wife is a US Citizen she will be able to qualify for her own social security check, even though she has never worked a job in the USA, by filing a claim under my fully paid up earning history. She will get approximately 50% of the amount that I am getting.

Will I have to be dead for her to collect?

No.

She will qualify for her own check at retirement age. You two will probably be collecting both checks for quite I while. When you die her check goes up substantially. If she wasn't a US citizen I think the rules would have been different. If I remember correctly in my wife's case if she only had a green card she would not get a check if she lived in Thailand but would if she moved back to the USA. that is why it was critical for my wife to become a citizen. We moved out of the USA 3 months later.

No.

She will qualify for her own check at retirement age. You two will probably be collecting both checks for quite I while. When you die her check goes up substantially. If she wasn't a US citizen I think the rules would have been different. If I remember correctly in my wife's case if she only had a green card she would not get a check if she lived in Thailand but would if she moved back to the USA. that is why it was critical for my wife to become a citizen. We moved out of the USA 3 months later.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Not saying it's the same every where but the stats in my little world are out of 6 Thai girls I know liveing in Nottingham with there farang husbands only one marriage failed of the 50 or more farang I've got to know over the last 35 years liveing in surin only 3 have lasted more than 4 years

Not saying it's the same every where but the stats in my little world are out of 6 Thai girls I know liveing in Nottingham with there farang husbands only one marriage failed of the 50 or more farang I've got to know over the last 35 years liveing in surin only 3 have lasted more than 4 years

lol sorry but you must have lived in Surin too long, I can't understand your English. Can you add some periods to your post? 6 Thai girls married 50 guys in Nottingham?

Mine lasted 5, steve (just) so add that to your Surin figures! cheesy.gif

BTW: Isaan USAsean's periods mean 'full stops' me thunkz!

Farang who keep Isaan girl in Thailand for special moments when he come visit; is like one who keep book in library for many people to borrow.

CLASSIC! wai.gif

Thanks for the laugh! I must get my library card stamped next week!whistling.gif