Isaan Girls With Farang Partners Abroad

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

As your wife is a US Citizen and working, consider fulfilling her SSA time requirements. That pension will go a long way in Si Saket.

Yes, I've considered that. She only has 6 qualifying quarters now, and I believe you need 40 to qualify. We'd have to stay here in the U.S. a few more years than I'd like. Definitely something to think about though.

The social security rules are very complicated and I don't pretend to know them all. I do however know that because my wife is a US Citizen she will be able to qualify for her own social security check, even though she has never worked a job in the USA, by filing a claim under my fully paid up earning history. She will get approximately 50% of the amount that I am getting.

So your wife will get a check.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has been here in Texas for 4 years now. We lived together in Bangkok for a couple years as well prior to her moving here. Her mother and father are pretty poor farmers in Si Saket, yet they never really ask for money. I think I've sent them maybe 10k THB since she's been here. I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I do pay for her niece's private school in Chaing Mai which is like 10k THB a semester. We're saving to go back and live in Isaan somewhere, in about 5-6 years. Funny thing is she wants to stay here in the U.S. and I don't. I actually hate it here. It's a good place to make money, and that's about it.

She's adjusted pretty well. She is now a U.S. citizen, has her driver's license , and a regular job.

As your wife is a US Citizen and working, consider fulfilling her SSA time requirements. That pension will go a long way in Si Saket.

Yes, I've considered that. She only has 6 qualifying quarters now, and I believe you need 40 to qualify. We'd have to stay here in the U.S. a few more years than I'd like. Definitely something to think about though.

The social security rules are very complicated and I don't pretend to know them all. I do however know that because my wife is a US Citizen she will be able to qualify for her own social security check, even though she has never worked a job in the USA, by filing a claim under my fully paid up earning history. She will get approximately 50% of the amount that I am getting.

Will I have to be dead for her to collect?

No.

She will qualify for her own check at retirement age. You two will probably be collecting both checks for quite I while. When you die her check goes up substantially. If she wasn't a US citizen I think the rules would have been different. If I remember correctly in my wife's case if she only had a green card she would not get a check if she lived in Thailand but would if she moved back to the USA. that is why it was critical for my wife to become a citizen. We moved out of the USA 3 months later.

No.

She will qualify for her own check at retirement age. You two will probably be collecting both checks for quite I while. When you die her check goes up substantially. If she wasn't a US citizen I think the rules would have been different. If I remember correctly in my wife's case if she only had a green card she would not get a check if she lived in Thailand but would if she moved back to the USA. that is why it was critical for my wife to become a citizen. We moved out of the USA 3 months later.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Not saying it's the same every where but the stats in my little world are out of 6 Thai girls I know liveing in Nottingham with there farang husbands only one marriage failed of the 50 or more farang I've got to know over the last 35 years liveing in surin only 3 have lasted more than 4 years

Not saying it's the same every where but the stats in my little world are out of 6 Thai girls I know liveing in Nottingham with there farang husbands only one marriage failed of the 50 or more farang I've got to know over the last 35 years liveing in surin only 3 have lasted more than 4 years

lol sorry but you must have lived in Surin too long, I can't understand your English. Can you add some periods to your post? 6 Thai girls married 50 guys in Nottingham?

Mine lasted 5, steve (just) so add that to your Surin figures! cheesy.gif

BTW: Isaan USAsean's periods mean 'full stops' me thunkz!

Farang who keep Isaan girl in Thailand for special moments when he come visit; is like one who keep book in library for many people to borrow.

CLASSIC! wai.gif

Thanks for the laugh! I must get my library card stamped next week!whistling.gif