Lopburi

sierra01

There are very very old Kymer temples in Lopburi.

It's a great place to visit, especially King Narai's museum.

They women in Lopburi are the nicest in Thailand I think.

I got married there!

Lopburi was an old capital city of Thailand.

The monkeys sometimes jump on the train and go to CM for a break.

I love exploring old ruins, monuments, buildings etc, the older the better. Lopburi is now firmly on my list to places to explore anyway.

Not to sound like I'm criticising LOS but seriously old ruins etc do seem to be a bit thin on the ground here, much to my disappointment. For all it's faults the UK is snowed under with visable history, I even lived in a 600 y/o house for a few months once.

They're scary when they go for your bags. I hate Lopburi monkeys.

:o

I hope your not talking about my wife.

:D:D:D

I was definitely being literal in meaning there! Sierra, take a look at this thread. Buadhai's pics are pretty interesting, especially those of Sema, Ubon Rachathani, and Prasat Hin Phanom Wan.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60455

I love exploring old ruins, monuments, buildings etc, the older the better. Lopburi is now firmly on my list to places to explore anyway.

Not to sound like I'm criticising LOS but seriously old ruins etc do seem to be a bit thin on the ground here, much to my disappointment. For all it's faults the UK is snowed under with visable history, I even lived in a 600 y/o house for a few months once.

Look at all the visible history you have in Bognor ,a 13th century Cannon Cinema and not to forget the ruins of a 7th century Butlins holiday camp :D thailand is steeped in history and historical ruins a few foreign ones to if you count, old croc, udon and me :o nignoy

take care, they can be nasty! When you enter a plot around an ancient temple you get a stick. Nevertherless the daughter of my wife has been scratched/bitten (very small injuries) and had to go for anti tetanus and rabies injections.

But worth a visit!

post-22212-1140944754_thumb.jpg

take care, they can be nasty! When you enter a plot around an ancient temple you get a stick. Nevertherless the daughter of my wife has been scratched/bitten (very small injuries) and had to go for anti tetanus and rabies injections.

But worth a visit!

I noted the shopowners near the ruins, all had catapults. The apes went everywhere, stealing what they could. And as you say, they can be vicious. I wouldn't like to tackle one. I had one walk straight up to me, while I was eating an ice cream. It just leaped up and took it. What can one do? buy another? :o

The monkeys population has gone down tremedously compared what I seen 10 years ago. From my understanding, the provincial authority is trying to uphold the monkeys population from deteriorating. Although these creature are very nasty they are able to make a name for Lopburi.

What the local say; Carried a fake crocodile to chase the monkey away.

Look at all the visible history you have in Bognor ,a 13th century Cannon Cinema and not to forget the ruins of a 7th century Butlins holiday camp :D thailand is steeped in history and historical ruins a few foreign ones to if you count, old croc, udon and me :o nignoy

You forgot the Bognor's iron age pier and that quaint medieval crazy golf course!

if you look carefully, you can see the monkeys as well

post-14019-1140955718_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1140955764_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1140955828_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1140955875_thumb.jpg

Now there's something you don't see every day, monkeys wears shirts and shorts :D

You didn't seem to have much trouble Lampard, when I do go I'll certainly take care and not get quite as close as you!

There's so many monkeys at Prang Sam Yod. They're scary when they go for your bags. I hate Lopburi monkeys.

Well they do warn you about this:- :D

medium.jpg:o

in Lop Buri :D

Kan Win :D

I am quite aware of this. I am also aware that the sign is not exactly translated - purse is not สิ่งของ. Are you insinuating that just because I hate the monkeys that I should not go? Or that I should leave upon seeing the sign? Although I hated the monkeys and their assertiveness, I did like Prang Sam Yod. There's also heaps of similar monkeys in Songkhla, near Samila Beach, but they are actually cute and playful.

I do believe that in Surin Province, there are over 30 such monuments listed. Ta Maung on the Cambodian border is a collection of 5 or 6 Khymer Temples, plus to the West of us you have the Twin sites of Phanom Rung (Ankhar Wat on a much smaller scale) and Prasat Muang Tam. The other side is the famous Koaw Pra Viharn, which is a site to behold. 12 or 13 flights of stair lead up to the main Temple which is actually in Cambodia, but cannot be accessed from there. Wonderful sight. For more pictures go to http://farangconnection.com/tourist.html

Edited by lampard10

There's also heaps of similar monkeys in Songkhla, near Samila Beach, but they are actually cute and playful.

True. Long time ago I stayed at the Samila Hotel and there was 1 monkey having a dive in the swimmingpool every single morning.

He came running...dived in...swam under water and climbed out on the other side of the pool :o

LaoPo