BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Osiris

Working With Philipinos...

I think you should get use to working with Filipinos if you want to keep teaching English in Thailand. They are part of ASEAN and soon they will be much easier to hire than you are. One of the benefits to the free movement of labor is for Philippine English teachers to move freely into Thailand and take your job. I think Thai people are starting to realize farang teachers are just too difficult to work with. With so many different English accents (American, UK, Australian, New Zealand), Thai schools don't really care if the Filipino has an accent as long as their grammar is decent. The money they save on hiring Filipino teachers can be spent on other things.

However, I'm not sure if these Filipino teachers have teaching and English degrees. I am curious, is this the case? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think you should get use to working with Filipinos if you want to keep teaching English in Thailand. They are part of ASEAN and soon they will be much easier to hire than you are. One of the benefits to the free movement of labor is for Philippine English teachers to move freely into Thailand and take your job. I think Thai people are starting to realize farang teachers are just too difficult to work with. With so many different English accents (American, UK, Australian, New Zealand), Thai schools don't really care if the Filipino has an accent as long as their grammar is decent. The money they save on hiring Filipino teachers can be spent on other things.

However, I'm not sure if these Filipino teachers have teaching and English degrees. I am curious, is this the case? Does anyone have any experience with this?

from my experience in some technical quals I rumbled several filipinos with bent certification.. they gamble and cry and plead when found out...I would hesitate to guess you will find the degrees are about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

from my experience in some technical quals I rumbled several filipinos with bent certification.. they gamble and cry and plead when found out...I would hesitate to guess you will find the degrees are about as much use as a chocolate teapot

I am not discriminating against any nationality but as Engineering Manager I sit each candidate down and ask them to sit a detailed examination on their discipline. that coupled with an interview and check all quals online while its ongoing. if I find discrepancies I highlight it and depending on circumstances offer them something more commensurate with what real knowledge they have to offer...

Agreed. There seems to be many with a waiver from the TCT, when quals aren't checked, and not so many with a licence, when quals are checked.

Agreed. There seems to be many with a waiver from the TCT, when quals aren't checked, and not so many with a licence, when quals are checked.

You're right. Only one out of five at our school have a TL. But all have a degree in primary or/and secondary education. Wondering why they don't go for it.

now if I was a director at the school I would be scrutinising the quals very closely and downgrade their salary status...see how long they smile after that....Its the getting found out that irks them most..... then explaining to the family at home that they got caught..... OMG...

I work with a large number of Filipinos and have worked with quite a few over the past nearly 20 years. It is hard to verify a degree from the Philippines, but it can be done. Many have a professional licensing which can be verified on an official gov't website. We do not employ them as English teachers, but as subject teachers who are teaching in English. Right now, about 60% of our teachers have a professional license.

yes I get your point.....I had 40 working for me in Oman.... nice enough lads but found 6 didnt have a clue about the job Advanced Ultrasonics on pressure vessels....not one had any cert of competency but broke down in tears when I sussed them..... sad but who said life was fair..... if they screwed up and a vessel exploded and fatalities who would get blamed.. yup me...... they had to be terminated

...... they had to be terminated

Why bother doing it yourself? Other posters have already given you the number...........just dial,

007 007 007

• Like 1

There are lot of hard working honest Filipino teachers , they receive half the salary of a westerner and do a better job with their students .

There are lot of hard working honest Filipino teachers , they receive half the salary of a westerner and do a better job with their students .

Define 'better job'?

• Like 2

If you see how they control classes in my school, you might disagree. And a qualified teacher from the Philippines is far from a qualified teacher from the West. Just look at their PISA results and you will see the quality of the education they provide to their own students. They might be cheaper to employ but it's a false economy in the long run.

• Like 1

Good schools in Thailand and Thai people, realize that when mommy and daddy show up at the gate and see Philipinos their child will go to a different school. The foreign teachers I know are easy to work with, hardworking professionals. At my school today, two of the men are wearing cheap polo shirt, leisure type pants that resemble jeans and tennis shoes. I have seen one of them lounging in a chair at the front of the room as he taught. This isn't professional behavior that mommy and daddy are going to pay for, not to mention the original reason for posting; they cause problems purposely.

• Like 2

yes I was only trying to get the Filipinos to behave....but in a way they will understand and trust me I know what I am talking about... and have a lot of filipinos that know me well enough

You may be suffering from ADHD.

yes I was only trying to get the Filipinos to behave....but in a way they will understand and trust me I know what I am talking about... and have a lot of filipinos that know me well enough

You may be suffering from ADHD.

Autocratic Dysfunctional Horizontally Disorder?

Won't call him hyper though, roughly said.