BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Osiris

Working With Philipinos...

"Now you can sell your white skin again." That was one annoying sentence ( out of a few) I've heard from them short before signing a new contract.

. Being disrespectful and speaking Tagalog all day long another problem, that might cause other foreigners in the English department to freak out one day.

Many of them being racist isn't really a good deed.

I was asking one Filipino who came back from a visa trip:1. " Did you have to pay for a visa to come into Laos? No response.

2. " Do you have to have a visa for Laos? No response.

3. Do people from the Philippines have to purchase a visa for Laos? No response

4. You buy visa for Laos? Answer: No, I not.

Beginning of a school year, two days before the kids showed up. Everybody had to introduce him/herself.

One female with a thick accent said: " I from the Philippines. We have beautiful bitches there. ( Guess she still doesn't know why we're laughing.)

Then the spell test, made by a girl from the Philippines in an EP set up. There was a grade 4 girl who was just brought to that school for 4 weeks, she grew up in the States. So the "teacher" says something like heart.

The native English speaking student: " Teacher, do you mean the one in your chest, or the opposite of soft?" An American colleague sitting there to make some copies:understood that the teacher didn't understand the student's question and said: " I guess she meant the one in your chest. "

The "teacher": " That's unfair, now you gave them the answer. ( It was a s p e l l i n g test.....w00t.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Talking about accents, my daughter went to first grade and had a British teacher, she came home and said: "Moon-die, Tyoose-die, Weens-die..."

I corrected her right away.

Accent may not be the main issue here; I've seen it elsewhere that Filippinos started working in departments consisting of Koreans, Chinese and Vietnamese.

A year later it was half Filippino and not long after that a non-Filippino had no chance to get a job in that department.

That's what I don't like. And it may be threatening to some.

yes I get your point.....I had 40 working for me in Oman.... nice enough lads but found 6 didnt have a clue about the job Advanced Ultrasonics on pressure vessels....not one had any cert of competency but broke down in tears when I sussed them..... sad but who said life was fair..... if they screwed up and a vessel exploded and fatalities who would get blamed.. yup me...... they had to be terminated

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same for me in the 80s also in the Oman so nothing's changed

As you know all these guy's are sent by recruitment agencies who don't care.

A year later it was half Filippino and not long after that a non-Filippino had no chance to get a job in that department.

Now that I cannot argue with. A friend once asked me, "doesn't it bother you that we will hire them but they would never hire us?"

Maybe you could bake some cookies or fairy cakes and bring them in for the staff? At the very least it will make it lot harder for them to hate you.

I will close this topic because I think that everything has been said and there are unnecessary racist overtones that keep creeping into the thread.

//closed//