Leaving Los For Phillipines?

I am there every 5-6 weeks for a week or 2 for current business, have a permanent place in Palawan, a crash pad in AC and have traveled around most of the county over the past 4 years.

The PI is a dirty, corrupt, dangerous, culinary and cultural wasteland that is a ex US colony whose 2 legacies left behind are fast food and a gun culture. It is cheaper to live in and English is more widely spoken than LOS and so attracts the real bottom of the barrel expats and retirees. As someone said earlier its infrastructure runs about 25 years behind LOS.

For me the most disturbing thing about the place is the subservience and "one day they will come back to save us" mentality that the citizens have towards the US. LOS stands on its own 2 feet as a nation whereas the PI is really just a beggar state. The citizens are always talking and planning and dreaming of getting out of the country to work and live overseas. That should tell you something.

I got about 3 more years of business left there and then I am done and for me good riddance to the joint.

And you must have a pad crash in AC for the cultural aspect, no doubt....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand much better by far.

Yawn. Same old Thai-centric drivel. This is your opinion. Expats living happily in the Philippines (not me, I hasten to add) have a different perspective. The OP will never know which one he prefers unless he tries both.

Yes my opinion whose was I suppose to give yours or just lie,

Yawn. Same old Thai-centric drivel. This is your opinion. Expats living happily in the Philippines (not me, I hasten to add) have a different perspective. The OP will never know which one he prefers unless he tries both.

I think you're losing it. You already replied to that post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615331-leaving-los-for-phillipines/?p=6096530

• Like 1

I think you're losing it. You already replied to that post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615331-leaving-los-for-phillipines/?p=6096530

The one losing it appears to be you following me around worried about my post

La Union is a nice place.

Good beaches,small restaurants,bars and on shore hotels.

Got a mate who has bought a chunk of land (Phil wife)but wish he would get a move on and build his planned house...need to visit ...any excuse.

Noticed lots of new flights from LOS including Air Asia and CEBU to Clark but don't appear to be anything up to that airport at San Fernando which is a pity.

Rabbit buses are OK ...but the roads aint so good

Loved Cebu when I visited 15 years ago. Wife and I rented a car and made an interesting drive across to Toledo. We still laugh about it. Everyone we met along the way waved and smiled. May go back for a visit.

• 3 weeks later...

And you must have a pad crash in AC for the cultural aspect, no doubt....

Actually no. there is no culture in AC apart from broke assed sexpats and girlie bars. But I am involved in the construction of a large scale industrial development in the Clark Development Region there and so need somewhere as a base while I am in town checking on progress. Do you have any suggestions on where I should stay if my choice of apartment is not up to your standards?

Edited by hagler

I remember being in a supermarket where everything stopped at 6 PM to say the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary.

And what's the difference to having to stop at 6 PM in Thailand to pay respects to....you know who. Just saying!

What is it with the food? Shockingly bad ingredients? Shockingly bad cooks?

From my post above ...

"Well, if you like a countries cuisine largely influenced by the USA, then you might find it palatable."

Cuisines influenced by the USA?

Think it's the other way around, bud.

au contraire mon frère ...

In the States, Americans have influences from around the world with their cuisine.

But in the Phillipines there is a strong and obvious influence from America.

Given the decades that the USA ran the admin of the country ... that is only natural.

These are but my experiences from visiting there ... what are yours?

I have to agree about the food, I have only spent 3 holidays in the Philippines so am no expert (Puerto Galera) I enjoyed each time but had limited food options. On the drive from Manilla to the ferry in Batangas all you pass are fast food places - seriously dozens of them, Mccdonalds, KFC, Jollibies etc.etc.etc. We were going diving there and it is fantastic but always glad to come back to Thailand for the food and infrastructure.

• Like 1

One advantage in the Philippines is the low salaries. You can get a Maid and other help in your household very cheap. Work and maintenance on your house is also very cheap.

There has been a lot of talk of the bad food, but Kinilaw and Sashimi is actually very nice. Both made from raw tuna.

I'm back in Cebu now.

Internet speed 0.10 Mbps.

Plenty of English speaking channels on TV, for 1/3 of the price in Thailand.

Weather on average 3 degrees cooler than LOS.

Pack of Marlboro cost $ 1.50 while in LOS it's $3.

4 San Miguel light for $2.50 in a mall restaurant.

Maid or nanny can be had for 50-80$ a month.

Girlfriend don't have money demands, happy with $100 month.

Rent apartment, twice the price of los, and usually old.

Exchange rate give 40% more in local currency, than in los.

Visa extensions for 1 year will cost me aprox $1000.

• Like 2

Been to both places. Extremely happily married to a Filipina and now have plans to move to the Philippines. I agree on most accounts of the Thai/Philippines comparison, Thai infrastructure, food, cleanliness better but the people make up for the those differences. The Philippine people are more genuine, open, speak great English, easy to understand. The different islands are a treat and an adventure in itself.

I am also happily married to a Filipina. moving to the Philippines was never an option because being a farang I am therefore rich and so the dozens of my wife's relatives will eat us alive. It goes like..'Jocelyn is sick.. she needs medicines..or Lito needs a denture and this goes on and on. If you move to an island away from them then you need to be near a halfway decent medical facility because rural Philippines is very backward. I never felt safe in the Philippines. You have the constant impression that everybody wants to rip you off. This could be the hotel management the money changer and the list is endless.

No, Thailand despite the huge language impediment remains a safe and enjoyable destination for retirement. Of course this is my opinion and it is not meant to dissuade anybody to make their choices. So my apologies to rbooks for my negative critique.

• Like 2

Nice place but Manila is like any other big rough city.

Got a mate who (his wife) bought some land on the beach in La Union but he is still to build the Bl+++y house and I wish he would get a move on.

Visited a couple of time ...last about 12 years ago and parts are beautiful.

Sitting in a beach bar/hotel with the waves lapping on the sand,cool breeze from the ocean,chef in the kitchen...whatever you want until 2-00am and help yourselves to the San Migs ...just score the beer mat and pay tomorrow.

Thai infrastructures is much better (and food) and Phils got a bigger corruption problem although heard things getting better.

Mate gets a 1 year Visa on arrival and no problems opening a bank account.

Things must have changed since I was last in the PI a couple of years ago I guess.
At that time there were only exceptions to foreigner ownership of land.
I made about 7 trips to the PI lasting from 3 months to 7 months each. Upon arrival a person was granted a 21 day visa with countdown starting the day of arrival. After that a non retired expat needed to buy a 59 day visa and finally that was amended as well.
I never tried to open a bank account in the PI.
I agree about the friendless of the ladies and the ease of English language usage.
Overall I thank my lucky stars I wasn't born there.

From August 1, 2013 one now get 30 days on arrival to Philippines.

BI Bureau of Immigration has now announced a 6 month long stay visa.

At present one have to apply at BI Manila Intramuros only, no other place for now.

The 6 month longstay visa cost Php 8450 / $198 at todays exchange rates.

Search on google or yahoo for more info.

Note that a return ticket has to be shown, when enter the country.

Asia2000

Cebu