No Travel Insurance Proves Costly For British Tourist

webfact

No travel insurance proves costly for Phuket tourist

Claire Connell

PHUKET: -- A British man who travelled to Thailand without travel insurance is paying a hefty price after he suffered a heart attack in Phuket on Saturday. He is now in intensive care at Bangkok Hospital Phuket with mounting hospital bills.

Gareth Harnett, 30, a builder from Kent in England, was on a nine-day holiday to Phuket with five other friends when he had a heart attack on Saturday morning while at the Diamond Cliff Resort in Patong.

newsjs

Mr Harnett’s friends were swimming in the pool and went to see where their friend was, only to be told by reception staff he had had an asthma attack and was taken to Patong Hospital, then transferred to Vachira Hospital.

“When we got to Vachira we were told by the doctor he actually had a heart attack and was in intensive care,” said Gareth’s travelling companion and one of his best friends Patrick Dyett, also 30.

Mr Dyett decided to move his friend immediately to a private hospital, and two hours later Mr Harnett was moved to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

“He is still in intensive care, but now out of the coma. He’s in a critical condition on life support. He’s got fluid on his lungs and an infection, and when he had the heart attack he lost oxygen to his heart which caused it to weaken,” said Mr Dyett.

At the moment Mr Harnett is unable to talk but is communicating by nodding his head.

Mr Dyett said his friend suffering a heart attack was not entirely unexpected.

“He doesn’t lead a very good lifestyle in the UK. He smokes and drinks heavily and he’s carrying a considerable amount of weight.

“For a long time I’ve been saying to him he needs to change his ways. He’s got sleep apnoea and has airway and breathing problems which he has been seeing the doctors in the UK about. He was at a much higher risk of this happening than someone in good health would be.

“Doctors are saying they think he will make a full recovery, but he’s going to need to stay in this unit for at least another fortnight.”

Full story: http://www.thephuket...urist-36697.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-01-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor bugger, gotta feel sorry for him. Its such a cheap outlay to get travel insurance, perfect example of expect the unexpected I suppose. Hope we get to hear how much it ends up costing him but hes probably just happy to be alive!

Why did they tie him to the bed?...So he cant leave without paying the bill?

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Gareth Harnett, 30, a builder from Kent in England

From "KentOnline" - he's the one on the right:

post-35489-0-48620300-1359455184.jpg

A British man who travelled to Thailand without travel insurance is paying a hefty price

Actually, it's his friends who are paying. Final bill will be about 50,000 GBP.

Next time (if there is one), tick the little box that says "insurance".

post-35489-0-48620300-1359455184_thumb.j

I just got an online quote from a leading UK travel insurance company.

The cost of a worldwide policy (excluding the USA and Japan) for 2 weeks, starting tomorrow (same time as this guy's holiday - high season) for a 30 year old was 24.95GBP.

This was the budget policy, but still covered 5,000,000GBP medical expenses and 5,000,000GBP repatriation expenses.

It also covered 1,000,000GBP personal liabilty, 10,000GBP personal accident cover and 10,000GBP legal expenses.

Really, you can't say it's unaffordable.

I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope news of his experience gets out back in the UK so others will not make such an oversight.

• Like 1

A British man who travelled to Thailand without travel insurance is paying a hefty price

But who would expect a heart attack at only 30!

Edited by MAJIC

His mate said it wasn't unexpected, so he's one person that probably expected it. For someone who's smoking and drinking heavily, it should be unexpected at all. Even at 30. Most 18 year old men in the US have heart disease. Mostly not severe, but it starts at a very young age if you don't take care of yourself.

Anyway, this has made me think that it's about time I got some emergency health insurance in Thailand. I checked UK insurance companies a while back, and it seems they are only interested in UK residents, so no good to me. What health insurance do most expats here have?

I do wonder what cover other young Brits who live long term in Thailand without working here have and how much it costs?

I wonder that because I should probably get it too...

I got mine a few years back, i was 37, full medical insurance in Thailand, 24,000 baht/year, got it with Siam Commercial Bank.

I do wonder what cover other young Brits who live long term in Thailand without working here have and how much it costs?

Check BUPA. They allow payment per month and I pay like 5500 baht for 4 persons. No Claim, 10% off Every year.

And I went for one of the higher coverage packages..! The 5500 is our first year.

You can do everything by phone, fax, email if you want.

The coverage is worldwide except USA.

Checked out several, but within a day I had a lady from BUPA calling me after filling out the Internet info-request and she has been following through everything without a fuss. English communication was very good.

Stellar Customer Service...I mean considering Thailand....

Edited by Schuimpge

I'm 50 & as far as I can see I can't get insurance for the big things at all, ie. over 200000 bhts of problems without having to get a policy that includes all the small things & then they hit you for 5500 bhts a month at least, which is outrageous, dunno what the solution to this is, but as a reasonably healthy 50 year old without a lot of financial backing I can't afford to get insured... If anyone knows of a sensible policy that would cover me only for the big risks I'd be delighted to see it....

I'm 50 & as far as I can see I can't get insurance for the big things at all, ie. over 200000 bhts of problems without having to get a policy that includes all the small things & then they hit you for 5500 bhts a month at least, which is outrageous, dunno what the solution to this is, but as a reasonably healthy 50 year old without a lot of financial backing I can't afford to get insured... If anyone knows of a sensible policy that would cover me only for the big risks I'd be delighted to see it....

Not sure what companies you checked. I'm 43, a ways off, but BUPA was the one for me. 5500 for me was with 4 persons. 1 7yr old, 1 18yr old, my wife, 33 and myself. They ask any preconditions (by email) and adjusted for that including how long those conditions would be considered non-payable.

Going close to year two and get the first 10% off...

• Like 1

Check BUPA. They allow payment per month and I pay like 5500 baht for 4 persons. No Claim, 10% off Every year.

And I went for one of the higher coverage packages..! The 5500 is our first year.

Checked out several, but within a day I had a lady from BUPA calling me after filling out the Internet info-request and she has been following through everything without a fuss. English communication was very good.

Check the fine print. BUPA policies here in LOS tend to exclude just about anything and everything.

Try BUPA Thailand.

http://www.bupathailand.com/

It's only the big risks I'm interested in insuring. I prefer to pay for everything else myself. In any case, companies like BUPA don't cover the costs of many things I prefer, so would be a waste of time. I prefer natural therapies, whereas many insurance companies want you straight on pharm drugs.

Better yet, don't smoke, drink excessively, and lose lots 40 kilos.

repatriation included?

His friend decided to move him to a private hospital.

Nice friend!

Having an heart attack and then shunted around hospitals

And then moaning about the high bills?

The state hospital might have been cheaper, a lot, for the same care.

What is it that so many farang think the private hospitals are better?

Do remember those institutes are there to charge you through the nose.

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 2

If it's true that he is a heavy drinker and smoker, and very overweight, it's not surprising that he had a heart attack, even at thirty. If anyone is bound to have health problems eventually, it's him. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, he may now be sensible enough to do what the doctors say and lead a normal healthy life. If he does then good luck to him.

Must be a slow newsday in Phuket. some fat,drunk Brit has a heart attack and it makes news

Ah, a newbie.

We try to be civil in Thaivisa.

And it is quite obvious you do not understand the transfer to a private moneygrabbing health factory is not a very wise move if you are not insured.

• Like 2

I just got an online quote from a leading UK travel insurance company.

The cost of a worldwide policy (excluding the USA and Japan) for 2 weeks, starting tomorrow (same time as this guy's holiday - high season) for a 30 year old was 24.95GBP.

This was the budget policy, but still covered 5,000,000GBP medical expenses and 5,000,000GBP repatriation expenses.

It also covered 1,000,000GBP personal liabilty, 10,000GBP personal accident cover and 10,000GBP legal expenses.

Really, you can't say it's unaffordable.

I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope news of his experience gets out back in the UK so others will not make such an oversight.

You may find it's more than that. If you have existing health issues it costs more and even then it doesn't always cover the pre existing conditions that are likely to be the ones that need the cover. Still better to pay for it though.

I would imagine that he might have some existing problems even if it's just high blood pressure and cholesterol. Of course the stupid thing is if you go and have a check up which shows these problems and then take medication you no longer have the high blood pressure but you have to pay more for insurance. If you have these blood and cholesterol issues but don't have a check up you're not diagnosed with the problem. Therefore you don't take anything for it so you're still suffering from it but don't have to pay extra.

Must be a slow newsday in Phuket. some fat,drunk Brit has a heart attack and it makes news

And has cost him 2.5 million thb because he didn't take travel insurance ! News items like this help the naive to remember to take it out !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

When I lived in Thailand for 6 years I used BUPA, Thai Blue Cross...for 12k a year ($300 USD at the time!) I got full emergency, surgery, hospitalization (well, minimal co-pay), and evacuation from Cambodia/Laos. Didn't cover regular doctor's visits, but those only cost 200 baht a pop so I paid out of pocket (and we all know how available and cheap medicine is in Thailand!). Never had to use the insurance, but it was nice peace of mind. Plus because I didn't use it, I got a 1,200 rebate every Jan., woo-hoo!

Ah, a newbie.

And it is quite obvious you do not understand the transfer to a private moneygrabbing health factory is not a very wise move if you are not insured.

We may try but many do not succeed.

• Like 2

Ah, a newbie.

We may try but many do not succeed.

Or use the opportunity for a Brit Bash!