Ranger Or Vigo Champ.

kelboy

Hi all

i have checked out all the new pickups and got down to the 2.2 ranger auto and the 3.0 champ auto

prerunner.The champ is 100.000 more but has more toys.Does anyone no if the champ is getting a face

lift and if so when.all comment will be welcome because i just can't make my mind up as i love them both.

Thanks.thumbsup.gif

That's actually a tough one because the Hilux 3.0L engine is a much better engine then the Ranger's 2.2L unit (the Hilux would stomp all over the Ranger in a drag race), and as you note, the top-spec Prerunner comes with a better audio-visual system than the Ranger too, plus you're buying near end of life for the model, so all the bugs have been sorted long ago...

On the Ranger's side you have a much newer design that's not going to date as fast, or be replaced anytime soon. Interior styling is much better then the Hilux, and there's more rear passenger space... *if* Ford made a RWD XLT with the 3.2L engine, it'd almost be a no brainer decision - the only downside then would be Ford's slightly suspect after-sales service - they can barely cobble together enough parts to build a truck, let alone fix one...

2014 specs will be the same as 2013 specs, the new Chump is not expected until 2015.

The next-gen Fortuner will be a 2015 launch for sure, but the next-gen Hilux is still expected to launch in H2 2014 - around the same time we'll see new models of the Triton and Navara...

2014 specs will be the same as 2013 specs, the new Chump is not expected until 2015.

It wo'nt be a "chump", they would have thought of a new ridiculous name for it by then.

Yes, it will be ''Thebest'' laugh.png

Nissan has them all beat with their names. Their new midsize, called the Syphilis for example. laugh.png

• Like 1

It wo'nt be a "chump", they would have thought of a new ridiculous name for it by then.

...or 'Thaibest'...tongue.png

...or 'Thaibest'...tongue.png

"Thaibeast"... cheesy.gif

Purely based on second hand values and availability of dealerships Vigo every time. Your never to far from a Toyota dealership if you have problems. Ford are few and far between. The locals consider anything other than Isuzu and Toyota as inferior in my experience.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk[/media] how a Hi Lux Toyota stood up to top gear hammering.

Edited by marstons

Purely based on second hand values and availability of dealerships Vigo every time. Your never to far from a Toyota dealership if you have problems. Ford are few and far between. The locals consider anything other than Isuzu and Toyota as inferior in my experience.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk[/media] how a Hi Lux Toyota stood up to top gear hammering.

"The locals consider anything other than Isuzu and Toyota as inferior in my experience." Do you really care what the locals think? We Westerners are far more knowledgeable when it comes to the automotive world. thumbsup.gif

What has Top Gear got to do with buying a new pickup? Top Gear is entertaining but not something to base a purchase on. Dropping a 20 year old old Hilux from a crane, nudging it with a wrecking ball and drowning it in a river has nothing to do with living with the current model Hilux Vigo Champ etc etc.

Ford and Toyota both make a good pickup, the OP should buy the truck he likes and forget the urban myths.

Edited by Jitar

What has Top Gear got to do with buying a new pickup? Top Gear is entertaining but not something to base a purchase on. Dropping a 20 year old old Hilux from a crane, nudging it with a wrecking ball and drowning it in a river has nothing to do with living with the current model Hilux Vigo Champ etc etc.

Ford and Toyota both make a good pickup, the OP should buy the truck he likes and forget the urban myths.

Furthemore, where's the evidence the new Ranger has poor resale value? Maybe that poster a few weeks back selling his used XLT Hi-Rider for 10K Baht over the retail price he would have originally paid? :)

Back to the OP - if it's all about the engine, buy the Toyota - the Ranger is a better machine in every other regard though, after sales service aside...

Furthemore, where's the evidence the new Ranger has poor resale value? Maybe that poster a few weeks back selling his used XLT Hi-Rider for 10K Baht over the retail price he would have originally paid? smile.png

Back to the OP - if it's all about the engine, buy the Toyota - the Ranger is a better machine in every other regard though, after sales service aside...

Ask any Thai, credible source as we are in Thailand, yet to see a Ranger Songtaow. Maybe another farang would buy one, but that's limiting the potential market. Has to be some reason why Toyota dealers out number Fords 3-4 to 1. Edited by marstons

The Ranger's 2.2 auto would beat the Vigo's 3.0 auto in a "drag Race" as you put it.

Although, the Vigo has more BHP it has an ancient gear box with only 4 gears, the torque converter would eat up all that extra power.

The newer 6 speed gear box on the Ranger allows the smaller lump to deliver it faster, IMHO.

Saying that, the manual against manual I could see the Ranger losing.

Edited by stefan2519

The Ranger's 2.2 auto would beat the Vigo's 3.0 auto in a "drag Race" as you put it.

Although, the Vigo has more BHP it has an ancient gear box with only 4 gears, the torque converter would eat up all that extra power.

The newer 6 speed gear box on the Ranger allows the smaller lump to deliver it faster, IMHO.

Saying that, the manual against manual I could see the Ranger losing.

The Hilux has had a 5 speed auto since the Champ minor change, anyways, no need to guess:

smile.png

I would say,if you want to compare,do 'apples to apples '......2.2 Ranger with 2.5 Vigo....or 3.2 Ranger against 3.0 Vigo.....who wins that? smile.png

Of course - I don't think anyone's ever had much love the the Toyota 2KD-FTV 2.5L wink.png

The OP is the one comparing the 3.0L Toyota to the 2.2L Ford.. and the Ford 3.2L is about as available is the Nissan V9X 3.0L in Thailand... which would make them all see dust ;)

Edited by IMHO

I would say,if you want to compare,do 'apples to apples '......2.2 Ranger with 2.5 Vigo....or 3.2 Ranger against 3.0 Vigo.....who wins that? smile.png

Of course - I don't think anyone's ever had much love the the Toyota 2KD-FTV 2.5L wink.png

The OP is the one comparing the 3.0L Toyota to the 2.2L Ford wink.png

yes,I've noticed that......if he want's to spend an extra 100K,for something what is on it way out....that's OK with me.

I've bought a Tiger in 2003,the last of the model,because there was nothing better at that time....but after a couple of years it became looking 'old' in comparison to Vigo....Ranger at that time 'Ohh No'...

When I saw the new Ranger I knew that I wanted one.

I now have an order of a 2.2 2wd WT since June 2012 and I rather wait another year than getting a bored/outdated Vigo.

You see more and more new Rangers on the road now so I think the Thais likes them too.

Safety is a big issue for me too.

I am by no means against the Toyota's, if the all new Vigo is a winner I might buy one in perhaps 3 years time, who knows.

it is calld entertainment my friend. i for one enjoyed the clip, and i am certain i was not alone.

im sorry you have trouble discerning from a serious discussion and tongue in cheek.