Vietnam's Banh Mi Sandwich

ezzra

It may be coincidence but there was a good article yesterday in the Sydney Morning Herald about where to get the best Banh Mi in Sydney. No help to you though . I never knew the correct name for them until yesterday - I have been eating them for years and just calling them Vietnamese salad rolls .

I have never seen them in Thailand anywhere. You need that crusty Vietnamese roll to start with (without the added sugar). My gf makes a similar type of salad roll for me as i too get the craving too.

Just for interest here is the article :http://www.goodfood....0201-2doq8.html

Edited by xen

Not sure if it's the same, but just this past month, the restaurant Le Dalat Indochine (57 Suk Soi 23) had a big display at Siam Paragon offering their "bah lay" sandwiches -- fresh baked baguette with Vietnamese meats and veggies.

They had choices of pork, curry chicken, fish stew, Vietnamese sausage, and BBQ pork-roast chicken. I wanted to try some there, but had other things ahead that day. Never been to the regular restaurant, but I'd assume they're also on the menu there.

I always made them myself, with some good fresh french bread, Tulip pate, bbq pork from a street vendor, shredded carrot from a salad bar, cilantro, green pepper sliver and maggie and vinegar for seasoning...plus a little mayo for moistnesss...

The food court in MBK has a Vietnamese food vendor that makes a passable bánh mì but not as good as the authentic Saigon street vendors of course. They often over-toast the roll and the veggies are not as tangy as they should be.

Out in the Sa Kaeo province close to the Cambodian border (near the Poi Pet checkpoint), there is a large outdoor market with roaming bánh mì vendors. I bought one and it was delicious - as good as the real thing. After I finished it, I chased her down and bought two more.

Edited by attrayant

• 2 months later...

i made these [banh-mi] lets just call them burgers or very much like shish-kebab,anyone who loves indian food will love these,i saw

adrian richardson on afc.last week making these,here is what ingredients i used.

400grms.minced pork,

6minced chkn.livers.

small bunch corriander,

6chilli's,

6small pcs.fresh ginger,

4cloves garlic,

tea sp.salt,

1/2 tsp.curry powder.

all mixed in a food processor,then chilled for 4hrs.i then shaped into burgers and fried them they didnt break up all held together well,

i made a dip,of yogut,mint,sliced cucumber and lime jus.i had them in burger buns with sweet chilli sauce,cu,tomato.

cant wait untill i make the next lot,wish i could get some minced lamb.

banh mi refers to bread in my experience in VN and is available freshly baked 2-3 times a day in HCMC and Hanoi...out in the provinces it is a lot harder to find and out in Ha Tinh we westerners were always on 'banh mi patrol'...

the sarnies are sold early in the a.m. in the big towns outta hand carts in the street and UG is accurate when he sez that the fillings aren't attractive; usually what is called 'head cheese' in the west, a gristly 'cold cut' and some other cheap fillings...I useta get two rolls just filled with salad (the nice fresh bread was enough) and have one for brekkie and later one for lunch with instant noodles at my desk...

I'm just talkin' about my experience in VN; yer mileage may vary...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

banh mi refers to bread in my experience in VN and is available freshly baked 2-3 times a day in HCMC and Hanoi...out in the provinces it is a lot harder to find and out in Ha Tinh we westerners were always on 'banh mi patrol'...

the sarnies are sold early in the a.m. in the big towns outta hand carts in the street and UG is accurate when he sez that the fillings aren't attractive; usually what is called 'head cheese' in the west, a gristly 'cold cut' and some other cheap fillings...I useta get two rolls just filled with salad (the nice fresh bread was enough) and have one for brekkie and later one for lunch with instant noodles at my desk...

I'm just talkin' about my experience in VN; yer mileage may vary...

Agree on the fillings. The bread is good...for Asia anyways but my mileage does vary...peeps here will discuss the best place for a bread roll for an hour easily while enjoying a pint.

• 3 weeks later...

i made these [banh-mi] lets just call them burgers or very much like shish-kebab,anyone who loves indian food will love these,i saw

adrian richardson on afc.last week making these,here is what ingredients i used.

400grms.minced pork,

6minced chkn.livers.

small bunch corriander,

6chilli's,

6small pcs.fresh ginger,

4cloves garlic,

tea sp.salt,

1/2 tsp.curry powder.

all mixed in a food processor,then chilled for 4hrs.i then shaped into burgers and fried them they didnt break up all held together well,

i made a dip,of yogut,mint,sliced cucumber and lime jus.i had them in burger buns with sweet chilli sauce,cu,tomato.

cant wait untill i make the next lot,wish i could get some minced lamb.

made them fri.useing beef.wow

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...