Organic Coconut Oil/ Flour - Where To Buy?

LozinLOS

Hi there,

does anyone know where I can purchase Organic Coconut Oil (the solid kind) or Coconut flour in Thailand.

I'm starting to eat Paleo and I find some good recipes online only to find I can't seem to find the ingredients here. I'd have thought coconut oil and flour would be easy to come by here but it seems not.

I recently purchased some coconut oil online from a health store in Thailand and it's fine but its the liquid kind and I really want the more solid type.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to send coconut oil/ flour by post from the UK? If so I may just ask someone to send it to me that way if I can't find any here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I buy mine from Big C (Paradise Organic virgin coconut oil) - not cheap at 475 baht for 1 litre but a very good quality one.

You're wanting to buy solid rather than liquid coconut oil is a bit meaningless as coconut oil is liquid when warm but solid when cold. If it is solid at slightly elevated temperatures then it is probably not as pure as an alternative oil that is a liquid, at the same temperature.

I'm not sure that I can help you out on the flour though as I only buy the oil.

I believe TOPS supermarket also sell this oil so you could try there for both the oil and flour.

One last thing on coconut oil is that it is extremely healthy for you and is probably one of two oils you should be using ie: coconut oil for cooking (stable to heat) and virgin olive oil for dressings and low temperature cooking only.

• Like 2

I buy my coconut oil from Tops. A little more expensive than Big C at about 550 baht for 1 litre. You will also find it at Foodland where in general it looks solid, but that's only because it's close to the vegetable coolers and their air con is cold. As Sichonsteve says, coconut oil is only solid at low temperatures, so here it very rarely is. If you need it solid to use for pastry, you could try putting it in the fridge and it will solidify, but it won't take long for it to liquify once you remove it. Much like butter...

I make my own French dressing and since starting to use coconut oil I use 1 part coconut oil with 1 part olive oil and 1 part vinegar, plus the extras of course. I make a jam jar full at a time and keep it in the fridge which means that it has to be 'thawed' out for use as both the coconut and olive oils solidify.

I too have been looking for coconut flour as an alternative to wheat in baking, or alternatively almond flour, but haven't found either. The closest I can find is ground almonds which isn't fine enough to be used as flour. If you have any luck tracing coconut flour, do let me know.

Have thought about paleo myself, but am too fond of my dairy products... Good luck.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I think what you're talking about is coconut butter. Which you can easily make at home with old coconuts. Just buy a food processor and go to a Thai/fresh market and buy ground (not yet pressed) shaved coconuts. Make sure they didn't take all the good milk out! I think that's about as organic as you can get. As for the Virgin/cold processed coconut oil. The best and most consistent I found to be at big C. It always seems to be more solid at room temperature. I am also looking to buy coconut flour so if you found a source please let me know. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I've been using coconut oil for a long time, even thought about rendering my own (seems like very hard work, easier to buy from the supermarket), but haven't seen coconut flour. I'm assuming powdered coconut is coconut flour??? A couple of recipes that I've recently come across and wouldn't mind trying have called for one or the other.

Has anyone had any luck sourcing it?

• 11 months later...