Patong Community Mourns Phuket Expat Niklas Kring

george

Patong community mourns much-loved Phuket expat

PHUKET: -- Tributes were being laid in Patong over the weekend following the death of Phuket businessman, Swedish man Niklas “Nicke” Kring, 42, who died in a motorbike crash.

Mr Kring lost control of his motorbike around 8am on Wednesday morning between Loch Palm golf course and the Kathu gas station intersection on his way home from Patong. He suffered serious newsjs internal injuries and his life support was turned off on Thursday evening at Phuket International Hospital.

Mr Kring was the owner of the popular “Mai Thai” bar on Soi Eric, off Bangla Road in Patong. He had ran the bar for around 10 years, said his friend Bill Harris, the owner of the Summer Breeze hotel in Patong.

The bar is temporarily closed and many people are laying flowers and wreaths outside it in memory of Mr Kring.

He was also well known as being the creator of the popular phuket-info.com website, a Phuket travel website with a very active forum. Mr Kring established the website about 10 years ago and it had since grown to have more than 50,000 members, Mr Harris said.

“He was an absolute gentleman to everyone. Everyone who met him loved him. He had an open heart and he never had a bad word to say about anyone. He really was a terrific guy.” said Mr Harris.

“He was very well-respected and loved by everyone. Like everyone else I’m devastated and really at a loss. There’s a hole that can’t be filled.”

Mr Kring’s parents are in Phuket on holiday at the moment, and he leaves behind his wife and two young children.

Mr Harris said a cremation ceremony will take place at the Kathu temple at 2pm on Monday.

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-02

Tragic news. Met him a few times in 2006, and shared a few rounds of black Sambucas with him and a few other members of his board in the Mai Thai Bar.

His board was the first Thai board I registered on. Gone way too young, my thoughts go out to Ead and the two little girls. Read on his board yesterday that he had sold the lease to the bar.

R.I.P. Nicke.

Sad to see the passing of my friend Nicke,

The owner of "Mai Thai Bar" in Patong,

From a motorbike crash this past week in Phuket.

Makes me think how this could happen to any of us who ride motorbikes in Phuket..

Kinda scary ...

RIP Nicke 402.gif

you will be missed for sure..

I first met Nicke in MTB 10 years ago.He was a kind and friendly guy who brought a lot of people together over the years and many lasting friendships where created in his bar.in Soi Eric.

RIP Nicke.My thoughts are with your family now.

Edited by Yahooka

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Was going to open a new thread but felt maybe it sits better here. Does anyone know what's happened to the phuket info forum? It's been down for a few days now and just wondering if it's a maintenance thing or maybe done and dusted.

Cheers