BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ozzy111

Don't Tell Mates The Thai Truth

I am only speaking for myself here; talking about 'the farang' is different than being addressed as 'farang'.

If someone addresses me as "farang" I simply ignore them. Though sometimes, depending on their tone, I include a stern glance.

• Like 1

I am only speaking for myself here; talking about 'the farang' is different than being addressed as 'farang'.

If someone addresses me as "farang" I simply ignore them. Though sometimes, depending on their tone, I include a stern glance.

How should a person who speaks no English address you?

I guess it's a bit late now to tell the other farang in my village. Ive never met him but heard lots over the years. Watched as his wifes family went from pig farmers to beauty salon owner to rice harvester owner. All this comes from the village gossip.

He comes and goes, but no sooner does he leave and his wife's love interests appear. His wife even convinced her parents he was dead and needed money to travel to Europe to collect her share of the estate. Parents put the farm into hock to give daughter travel money.

Now the farang has miraculously returned to life. Unfortunately he's now sharing his house with wife, daughter and wife's latest love interest. Even the daughter is confused, when asked how her dad is she asks which one.

These are people we are talking about, saying "the farang," "the farang" only leads to people being thought of as less than human; dont fall into the same type of thinking you are complaining about

Why? I am a farang! And my farang friends and I all tend to use the word farang to refer to other farangs!

It's considered quite rude to refer to people by their skin colour or race where I come from.

My parents taught me that, did your parents teach you that?

It's considered quite rude to refer to people as 'things' in Thailand.

My Thai wife taught me that, did your Thai wife teach you that?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Indeed a good question. I's tried to warn a friend of mine that his wife was messing around with other guys,etc. Then I sat there at his place, waiting for her to go, as she always freaked out and stabbed this poor guy. ( I know you'll read that, will pray for your lost soul!!)

They were separated for about two weeks, got back together and i was the bad guy. But I'd still do it again if it's really a friend of mine. That's what friends are for, I'd say.

I'd be more than happy if somebody would tell me if my wife would do something similar. Guess that's what it's all about. w00t.gif .

"Khun" or "Khun, khrap." That's how I address Thais who are strangers.

How do you address Thais that you don't know?

Edited by klikster

"Khun" or "Khun, khrap."

they can also use Ajarn, Nai, Nong, Pee, Lung ...........according to your occupation, apparent status or age.

I guess it's a bit late now to tell the other farang in my village. Ive never met him but heard lots over the years. Watched as his wifes family went from pig farmers to beauty salon owner to rice harvester owner. All this comes from the village gossip.

He comes and goes, but no sooner does he leave and his wife's love interests appear. His wife even convinced her parents he was dead and needed money to travel to Europe to collect her share of the estate. Parents put the farm into hock to give daughter travel money.

Now the farang has miraculously returned to life. Unfortunately he's now sharing his house with wife, daughter and wife's latest love interest. Even the daughter is confused, when asked how her dad is she asks which one.

These are people we are talking about, saying "the farang," "the farang" only leads to people being thought of as less than human; dont fall into the same type of thinking you are complaining about

Why? I am a farang! And my farang friends and I all tend to use the word farang to refer to other farangs!

It's considered quite rude to refer to people by their skin colour or race where I come from.

My parents taught me that, did your parents teach you that?

It's considered quite rude to refer to people as 'things' in Thailand.

My Thai wife taught me that, did your Thai wife teach you that?

I don't have a Thai wife. I live In Bangkok and there are thousands of farangs living and working here. I guess it must be different in the sticks, which might be why you're more touchy about it. Mai pen rai.

It's a tricky situation because the tendency to believe what you want to believe and shoot the messenger is very strong. In this case, I think the OP did the right thing because his friend was about to sink a large sun of money into what he imagined was a real relationship but obviously wasn't.

I have been in a couple of situations like that where I was asked for advice. One guy paraded his new girlfriend in front of me and said he wanted to take her home on a fiancee visa and what did I think? She was absolutely awful - hideous and grasping and even complained in Thai to me behind his back about his stinginess and his insistence on her attending English lessons which she abandoned as soon as he wasn't looking. I told him to keep looking as there are plenty of fish in the ocean. He was very upset at this and ignored my advice and didn't talk to me for over a year but eventually married the woman and got her a settlement visa in Farangland. I don't know if she had anything going on with other men but after a couple of years and a couple of attempts to kill her husband with household implements when in a rage about nothing, he had to give her a one way ticket back to Thailand to save his life.

Another guy who also lived overseas had a Thai girlfriend of less than a year's standing that he had fallen head over heels with asked my advice on sinking a large amount of cash into a house and land in the girl's village. Of course I advised categorically against such madness, even without knowing much about the girl at the time, since he hadn't known her long and the house was intended for her parents to live in not for him or the girl, although they already had another much smaller one in the village. Of course my advice was ignored and I was given the cold shoulder for a long time. Later we got together again a couple of times but never the same as before and it then appeared to me that the woman in question probably had a Thai lover due to her careless phone conversations in Thai which she had stupidly assumed I couldn't understand. This time I held my tongue as the damage was already done and the first child already on the way, so I hoped things would work out for them somehow and didn't think he would believe me anyway, if I said something. Eventually my suspicions were proved correct and my friend realised he had been conned out of millions of baht by a woman who had a Thai hubbie all along who didn't mind her even having a kid with someone else, if it meant more lovely money for him.

Basically this is a lose lose situation in most cases.

Edited by Arkady

One of my rules here is to keep a low profile and mind my own business. You never really know all the circumstances in someone's relationship/marriage. I think some of the guys with wandering wives know that they wander and don't care. I think keeping your mouth shut is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

My Thai mother-in-law moved back upcountry to Isaan to take care of her aged mother after spending most her life in Bangkok. She is amazed at the behaviour of some of the young women of the district who are playing around with various foreign men to extract money from them and loves to regale us with the stories when we visit or she visits us in Bkk. They seem to be competition to see who can build the biggest house with stupid foreign men's money and who can deceive the most foreign men simultaneously. Villagers have seen one woman bringing five different farang men to stay in the house that each one believes he paid for exclusively. They marvel at how these women can arrange their schedules so the farang men don't clash with each other and the Thai husband is out of the way when the farang men visit. Of course there are also some farang men who have built houses and settled there permanently with Thai wives and are probably doing OK for the most part, although I haven't met any of them personally. On the other hand, for those who work overseas and visit Thailand occasionally it is not uncommon for these "time share" guys to be sharing their Thai sweethearts with one or two other farangs and a Thai guy. Some of the women probably deserve the money they make for their Oscar winning performances and their willingness to "go the whole hog" to make the performance more convincing.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2

One of my rules here is to keep a low profile and mind my own business. You never really know all the circumstances in someone's relationship/marriage. I think some of the guys with wandering wives know that they wander and don't care. I think keeping your mouth shut is the right thing to do.

I agree with you there but the problem is when you get asked for advice and you have to either lie or tell the unwelcome truth.

• Like 2

Lost count of how many times I have seen the phrase "Thai wife" on here. Isn't that wrong too? Thai wife and farang husband. Is that OK?

Most Thais use the word without any malice at all.

Lost count of how many times I have seen the phrase "Thai wife" on here. Isn't that wrong too? Thai wife and farang husband. Is that OK?

Most Thais use the word without any malice at all.

Thai wife- farang husband doesnt work

Thai-British, American etc or

Farang-oriental:blink:

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app