Hooking The In-Laws Up With Water

Saan

I would like to put water into my in-laws house and bath house in Roi Et. There is town water onto the property but not connected up to the house. Can anyone please give me an indication as to the cost, including an instant hot water unit in the hong nam?

Hi Saan

The instant hot water device should cost 4,000.00 Bt. (+/- 500 Bt.) plus electrical.

Hooking up to the existing town water should not be costly--- there is likely a fixed price -- including the meter.

Edited by tig28

Doing the hookup will be fairly cheap probably about 1000Baht or similar. However check first to see if the water is on 24/7 or intermittent and that there is sufficient pressure to operate a heater. Where I go in Roi Et province the water is only on for a few hours each day, and to minimise leakage (usage?) the pressure is fairly low. The family has also installed a set of filters for the drinking water take off and the shower head regularly blocks up with sand type debris. So not the best water supply.

If there are problems with the supply then you can end up needing a storage tank and pressure pump to make the system work, which of course adds complications and expense. Also if you are running electrics into a wet area does the house have earth leakage protection on the electricity supply. The electrics in most of the village houses are diabolical, but does not cause to many problems as used for lighting and cooking only, when things get fancier problems can result. There is a lot of information on earth leakage in the housing thread, look for "Crossy" as he is the local guru on this subject.

Having been up in Roi Et this time last year I think I know why the shower heater.

Cheers

I for the 1st time have had to sink a well after 3 years of having my land, because of a drought we live just out side Phon Thong in Roi et region .. have you experienced any problems ,,the reason why i ask is because my friend near Surin has damaged to heating systems because he was getting his water from a well and he was extracting salt,,, and the local guys who fitted the system never used the correct filter system,,,

Just giving you a heads up ime not sure of the cure but i am looking into it know,, ile let you know how i get on.

sorry i forgot to get connected was about 1000b from the town water pipe,,it was not expensive but we are out in the sticks

Edited by jimbobs1

Doing the hookup will be fairly cheap probably about 1000Baht or similar. However check first to see if the water is on 24/7 or intermittent and that there is sufficient pressure to operate a heater. Where I go in Roi Et province the water is only on for a few hours each day, and to minimise leakage (usage?) the pressure is fairly low. The family has also installed a set of filters for the drinking water take off and the shower head regularly blocks up with sand type debris. So not the best water supply.

If there are problems with the supply then you can end up needing a storage tank and pressure pump to make the system work, which of course adds complications and expense. Also if you are running electrics into a wet area does the house have earth leakage protection on the electricity supply. The electrics in most of the village houses are diabolical, but does not cause to many problems as used for lighting and cooking only, when things get fancier problems can result. There is a lot of information on earth leakage in the housing thread, look for "Crossy" as he is the local guru on this subject.

Having been up in Roi Et this time last year I think I know why the shower heater.

Cheers

good advice,

Thanks for the very sensible advice. I wonder of a shower screen between unit and shower head would eliminate the problem. Oh, for an old chip heater they never electrocuted anyone. Some of the gas versions used to blow up but not the good old chip heater.

not from your district but from Ubon, however some dilemma about water connection here.

you probably have to buy PVC pipes (the distance from the water source) to your property, this may vary (cost) as

to what size circumference PVC pipes they are using. Here is the dilemma, you establish the connection from the

source, however, some sleezy weasel will steal or cut into your pVC line and draw off your system without seeking

permission from you to use for their house. I have witnessed this from one of our new neighbor who just built a

big house on 3 rai, the dip-sh_t next door did exactly what I projected - cut into his invested waterline.

I've put this issue to the village chief but just as usual here in Thailand (useless), therefore I decided to have a

well bored. In our case, the bore was 39 meters deep w/ 4" casing and multiple 1.1/4 pipes. (the cost of boring

was 5000 baht) the pipes and a well pump cost another 9000 baht. I'll still need to buy a water-tank to store the

well water as well as another pump pressure motor for better flow to the house.

You could be in for a significant expenditure, 20000 baht +. A lot depends on the local water supply, how reliable it is and the pressure. Where I live in Nakhon Sawan, the water is intermittant and when it is avaiable there is insuffucient pressure, it wouldn't turn on the pressure switch in the water heater, so I have a storage tank and a pressure pump. I also have 12 large cisterns in the back of my house to catch rain waterrun off from the roof which I pump into the tank when water is not available. We also drink the rain water.

The water meter costs about 400 baht and the price of the pvc pipe , fittings and valves are minimal, maybe 2500 baht, your biggest expenses would be :

1. Water heater = 4000 baht +

2. Pump = 6000 baht +

3. Tank 2500 = baht +

In addition you would have upgrade the electric distribution system in the house to provide a safe electric supply for the heater and pump. A distribution box, a main circuit breaker, an RCBO breaker for the water heater, a breaker for the pump and the correct size wiring. I could see this easily costing 3000 + baht.

Also

Not trying to scare you just pointing out what it could end up costing you. Good luck!

Saan

Go to Global House in Roi et. They are really experts and provide very good advice. They have sediment filters, water tanks, Mitsubishi water pumps (recommended) and instant water heaters for your bath room and circuit breakers etc. I really appreciated their advice when I built my house.