Building In The South

timber

Hi everyone,

The forum on land prices down south gave me a lot of useful ideas and information. While skimming about TV I found an excellent site on building and land in Pattaya. There are estimates on prices for building per square meter and expected rental rates for buildings that people have brought. This is pretty useful information and I thought it would be useful to have a forum in the South. Talk about experiences with costs and contractors as well some tips on things such as security. Hope to hear from you.

"Richard, For a condo or townhouse downtown, I'd suspect you will be looking at roughly 3-5% per annum, mainly due to high purchase prices and relative low rents. Big houses or condo's downtown will achieve a higher % return due to their rarity but still only 5-7%. Outside of Pattaya proper (i.e into Jomtien or East Pattaya suburbs) you could probably hit 10% with the right property and I used to achieve 16% on a place I owned at the resevoir but I bought when prices were about half of what they are today. Now at a similar project, you would be very lucky to hit 10%. "

• 3 weeks later...
3) Typically in Thailand...What are some unexpected costs during construction?

Main one is the constructor disapearing with your deposit and leaving an unfinished job...

More of a problem is not following the time schedual. Not always the constructor's fault, the labourers have an annoying habit to dissapear for a few weeks when the weather decides it's time to go harvest rice or whatever[/quote

Some comments from one of the other forums. Agree?

I think one left out is using shortcuts or sub-standard materials and having to do job over.

How not to do it: Find a contractor and let him start building while you show up once in awhile to check to see how things are going (or worse, live a long ways away and only rarely check on things.). If you do it this way, there is a 99% chance you will be cheated and a 99% chance the materials and workmanship will be well below standard. There is a 75% chance you will have something(s) done totally differently than you expected. This isn't pessimism or cyncism, it is a fact.

http://www.ajarnmichael.com/BuildingHouse.html

Interesting site on building a house in Thailand.

Edited by timber

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

The forum on land prices down south gave me a lot of useful ideas and information. While skimming about TV I found an excellent site on building and land in Pattaya. There are estimates on prices for building per square meter and expected rental rates for buildings that people have brought. This is pretty useful information and I thought it would be useful to have a forum in the South. Talk about experiences with costs and contractors as well some tips on things such as security. Hope to hear from you.

"Richard, For a condo or townhouse downtown, I'd suspect you will be looking at roughly 3-5% per annum, mainly due to high purchase prices and relative low rents. Big houses or condo's downtown will achieve a higher % return due to their rarity but still only 5-7%. Outside of Pattaya proper (i.e into Jomtien or East Pattaya suburbs) you could probably hit 10% with the right property and I used to achieve 16% on a place I owned at the resevoir but I bought when prices were about half of what they are today. Now at a similar project, you would be very lucky to hit 10%. "

there is a lot of information here including building cost on the islands, you can knock about 10-30% off for the mainland.

http://buildingthailand.com/