Phuket Expats Face Tougher Work-Permit Criteria

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @RichardBarrow: 8,635 foreigners in Phuket have work permits: British 1,169 people, Filipinos 668, Russians 646 & French 554.

Sounded a lot at first but its only 3037 Farang and that leaves 5598 presumably all Thai------- not a bad share when you consider all the scams and corruption that comes from them------ Dougal the Kiwi

What are you talking about? Thais dont need work permits!!!

Interesting, can you tell me where you go to get my blood test done for the medical (which you need for the WP) ?

My "Medical Certificate" for all those dreaded diseases was handed over by the local "Doctor's" receptionist. Pre-signed form. No "Doctor" on the premises so I guess that is why it was so cheap at 30Baht.

8,635 foreigners in Phuket have work permits: British 1,169 people, Filipinos 668, Russians 646 & French 554.

It's "New" Math. It's the same math used by TAT to get ever-increasing tourist numbers even during floods, demonstrations, coupes, etc.

Edited by atsiii

Why would a tour group from Russia go with a Thai who can't speak any Russian vs a Russian tour guide who can speak both Russian and Thai to get his tour the best in a short holiday? Don't expect these Russian tourists to know any Thai and probably very little English, if the Thai tour guides want the business from the Russians they better learn their language so they can give these people an enjoyable holiday, most are probably only here for a short stay and want it to be as much fun as possible. When anyone goes to a foreign country on holiday they don't go there for a language course they want to enjoy the warm weather and the sea. Warning to the Thais, keep screwing over the tourists and they never come back here, there's other near by countries that are gearing up to take the business away from you.

• Like 1

Interesting, can you tell me where you go to get my blood test done for the medical (which you need for the WP) ?

My "Medical Certificate" for all those dreaded diseases was handed over by the local "Doctor's" receptionist. Pre-signed form. No "Doctor" on the premises so I guess that is why it was so cheap at 30Baht.

While this was common in the past, the syphilis test actually require bllod to be drawn and tested (if it's a legit test). In Bangkok hospitals, expect to pay between 300 & 800 baht.

• Like 1

the medical used to cost 30 baht (NOT NOW) and has ALWAYS been required for a WP (many times not asked for but it is required) ...I had to provide a medical cert over 20 years ago most prob the labor dept just could not see the point and have been told to be more strict and ask for all required paperwork due to the whu-ha in Phuket at the moment

Why on earth would any foreigner want to do business in Thailand? Seriously Thailand is good for one thing and one thing only and after you've kick that out in the morning you really should leave it at that.

As for investing money in business or property you need to have your head examined prior to this act of stupidity.

• Like 1

She said her officials had also publicised information that the foreigners were not permitted to work in certain professions, such as tour guide, masseur, or laundry person. Those caught violating these restrictions face a Bt5,000 fine.

What about hundreds of russian tour guides working in Russian owned (via Thai proxy) companies?

Why would a tour group from Russia go with a Thai who can't speak any Russian vs a Russian tour guide who can speak both Russian and Thai to get his tour the best in a short holiday? Don't expect these Russian tourists to know any Thai and probably very little English, if the Thai tour guides want the business from the Russians they better learn their language so they can give these people an enjoyable holiday, most are probably only here for a short stay and want it to be as much fun as possible. When anyone goes to a foreign country on holiday they don't go there for a language course they want to enjoy the warm weather and the sea. Warning to the Thais, keep screwing over the tourists and they never come back here, there's other near by countries that are gearing up to take the business away from you.

It works like this, for all over the world:

You bring your own tour guide from your country, who meets tourists in Airport of origin country, gives them information and travels with them. Then they meet a local tour guide, who assists the other tour guide in everything. No matter where you are going, it's been like this for a long time. They need to bring their russian tour guide (1 for every 50 or more people) with them from Russia and use a local Thai guide to assist.

• Like 1

Perhaps the article could stop using the word "locals" when they are really referring to the Taxi/tuktuk mafia, most of whom are not locals (not from Phuket), and none of whom work legally. (You need to file a tax return in order to work legally, even if you are Thai, and I bet none of them do).

i went a couple times to a tax office and at first i thought it was an abandoned building after 3 calls to the mobile numbers finaly somebody came to take my papers and balance sheet (she looked at it as if it was burning water) on later returns there i did see a couple foreigners and a local acountant/ lawyer but never any local business owners ( always wanted to ask a local tuk tuk to take me there just to know if he actually knows what and where it is)

RT @RichardBarrow: 8,635 foreigners in Phuket have work permits: British 1,169 people, Filipinos 668, Russians 646 & French 554.

Sounded a lot at first but its only 3037 Farang and that leaves 5598 presumably all Thai------- not a bad share when you consider all the scams and corruption that comes from them------ Dougal the Kiwi

So you count Thais as foreigners do you Doh!

• Like 1

Can somebody tell me where these Thais looking for work are? We currently have several vacancies both skilled and unskilled and offer above average salaries. Despite advertising at the Phuket job center, on the internet etc., it is extremely difficult to fill positions or keep staff when they realise they actually have to work. We have a number of Burmese filling unskilled positions, (legally) and have no problem finding Western staff wishing to fill skilled positions but cannot legally.

Same in Bkk. I live above a restaurant. The owner has several in this area and recently had to close down one because she cannot get staff. She pays above minimum wage, there is free food, free accommodation and tips all added on. 90% of the staff are Burmese or Filipino. Thais will not work at this job for whatever reason.

Several times her 'foreign' staff have been taken away by 'police' to a private room in a private house somewhere and the owner summonsed to go and pay a release fee - which she refuses to do as they are all legally working.

In any other circumstances - that would be classed as abduction or extortion - but in Thailand those in 'power' are allowed to do such things.

Incidentally - i read in a magazine last month that 70% of unemployed Thai males are NOT actively looking for work.

I teach IELTS/TOEFL exam preparation to many Thais who are training to or already work in the Thai tourist industry. I've had students who can speak decent Russian, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin and Japanese. It's ridiculous to assume that all Thais are ignorant, workshy or cannot speak another language. Perhaps not surprising as many here seem to have a generally low opinion of Thais and Thailand.

Not to put you down or Thais down, but how do you know how good their Russian is. Only one real proficient in an other language would know. When i only spoke a few words of Thai people who did not thought i was great at that language.

And no I dont think that all Thais are stupid a friend of mine works as a Japanese translator she is Thai, i know many Thais with good English skills. But many Thais seem to think they don't have to improve because the lack of competition. If foreigners were allowed many of the Thais that don't develop their skills would be crying.

Why on earth would any foreigner want to do business in Thailand? Seriously Thailand is good for one thing and one thing only and after you've kick that out in the morning you really should leave it at that.

As for investing money in business or property you need to have your head examined prior to this act of stupidity.

LOL, Thanks for making me laugh today laugh.png

• Like 1

I went to renew my WP yesterday & all OK except they are now enforcing an existing rule that requires a medical certificate for extensions. I have previously extended many times without needing a medical certificate. The girls at the front counter were about to pass it but then a guy stepped forward & said they need to see a test for 6 diseases. He wrote them in Thai & when I got home tried to work them out & came up with leprosy. tuberculosis, elephantiasis but could not work out the other 3. I have since discovered & believe they also check for drug & alcohol addiction along with syphilis. So today am off to get these checked.

On another note, when doing visa renewal based upon marriage, my wife was informed her ID card had expired & so I do not have my visa yet. She obviously knew it had expired & tried explaining to the new head lady she had been to the Amphur twice for a new card but told they do not have any. Not only that they did not even have the yellow forms they used to issue for people waiting on ID cards. So today she has to get a document endorsed at the Amphur's so I can then retrieve my passport & visa. I live in hope.

This is a standard requirement and i have had a work permit for 9 years, always have to give a medical certificate cost 50 baht

I just went for the test and they charged me 150 baht, they send out the syphillis test. That will teach me to live in Pattaya. I hope they find some blood in my alcohol system or I'll fail the alcoholic part.

Thai's are industrious enough but only at copying. Open a salon and there will be two more beside you in a month. The Thai's follow and if the farang did it then it must be a good business. But work permits are easy. We do hundreds every year for foreigners who come here to work. As long as the paper trail is there to back the work, there is never an issue in Bangkok even if the WP's are only for 14 days and they get a phone book thick file...

So, Thailand's finally worked out that every time someone shows a visitor around a city out of a sense of pride in their city or hospitality to their visitors, no money changes hands and it affects their GDP figures.

So quick to try to turn themselves into a carbon copy of Singapore, they won't realise why Thailand has millions of tourist visitors and Singapore has to sell itself as a 'business destination' until it's too late.

So quick to try to turn themselves into a carbon copy of Singapore, they won't realise why Thailand has millions of tourist visitors and Singapore has to sell itself as a 'business destination' until it's too late.

You think Singapore has a problem with tourism?

http://news.xin.msn....umentid=5853834

Singapore has no problem with tourism. Although I must admit I miss the colour of China town and Bugis Street circa 1994.

• Like 1

I teach IELTS/TOEFL exam preparation to many Thais who are training to or already work in the Thai tourist industry. I've had students who can speak decent Russian, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin and Japanese. It's ridiculous to assume that all Thais are ignorant, workshy or cannot speak another language. Perhaps not surprising as many here seem to have a generally low opinion of Thais and Thailand.

Not to put you down or Thais down, but how do you know how good their Russian is. Only one real proficient in an other language would know. When i only spoke a few words of Thai people who did not thought i was great at that language.

And no I dont think that all Thais are stupid a friend of mine works as a Japanese translator she is Thai, i know many Thais with good English skills. But many Thais seem to think they don't have to improve because the lack of competition. If foreigners were allowed many of the Thais that don't develop their skills would be crying.

Should not the rest of the world be learning Thai, it is after all the worlds International language then there would be no problems.biggrin.png