Phuket Expats Face Tougher Work-Permit Criteria

webfact

Tougher work permit criteria, as if it is not tough enough right nowrolleyes.gif

Its hard enough to get any staff to work, what they worried some work will get done?

Locals are not happy about jobs being taken from them? it should locals locals are not happy with NOT being able to scam people as they use it.

I wonder where they find a Russian Speaking Thai, in Pattaya they offered free Russian lessons to Thai's, i am sure it workedrolleyes.gif, Somchai the tuk tuk driver learned how to say thank you in Russian, so now he is qualified guide.

Travel agents who can not string 3 words in English serving English speaking customers-good onew00t.gif

Well sayd !! Also in this numbers, are probaly more than half that not really working here as in doing some job, mostly have the visa not to do this stupid visa hassle /runs and owners directors of companys that not really doing anything ...

Another ting for this Thais to think about, is all the money we bring in to this economy every month

Edited by Tboy928

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The of the Phuket DOE office that issues WPs said they are applying stricter criteria for WPs in line with government policy. The new policy came in 2 years ago and is stricter on qualifications, reasons for needing a foreigner, PRs who now need 4 thai employees, and the addition of syphilis tests.

Nothing has changed recently in Phuket. This is a non-story. Locals seemed to be making a fuss about foreigners without WPs doing jobs that foreigners are prohibited from like tour guide, taxi driver etc.

I went to renew my WP yesterday & all OK except they are now enforcing an existing rule that requires a medical certificate for extensions. I have previously extended many times without needing a medical certificate. The girls at the front counter were about to pass it but then a guy stepped forward & said they need to see a test for 6 diseases. He wrote them in Thai & when I got home tried to work them out & came up with leprosy. tuberculosis, elephantiasis but could not work out the other 3. I have since discovered & believe they also check for drug & alcohol addiction along with syphilis. So today am off to get these checked.

On another note, when doing visa renewal based upon marriage, my wife was informed her ID card had expired & so I do not have my visa yet. She obviously knew it had expired & tried explaining to the new head lady she had been to the Amphur twice for a new card but told they do not have any. Not only that they did not even have the yellow forms they used to issue for people waiting on ID cards. So today she has to get a document endorsed at the Amphur's so I can then retrieve my passport & visa. I live in hope.

is it worth all the bother and i think this is just the start of things to come make it harder and harder and more expensive to stay there

I went to renew my WP yesterday & all OK except they are now enforcing an existing rule that requires a medical certificate for extensions. I have previously extended many times without needing a medical certificate. The girls at the front counter were about to pass it but then a guy stepped forward & said they need to see a test for 6 diseases. He wrote them in Thai & when I got home tried to work them out & came up with leprosy. tuberculosis, elephantiasis but could not work out the other 3. I have since discovered & believe they also check for drug & alcohol addiction along with syphilis. So today am off to get these checked.

On another note, when doing visa renewal based upon marriage, my wife was informed her ID card had expired & so I do not have my visa yet. She obviously knew it had expired & tried explaining to the new head lady she had been to the Amphur twice for a new card but told they do not have any. Not only that they did not even have the yellow forms they used to issue for people waiting on ID cards. So today she has to get a document endorsed at the Amphur's so I can then retrieve my passport & visa. I live in hope.

This is a standard requirement and i have had a work permit for 9 years, always have to give a medical certificate cost 50 baht

I just went for the test and they charged me 150 baht, they send out the syphillis test. That will teach me to live in Pattaya. I hope they find some blood in my alcohol system or I'll fail the alcoholic part.

I have had a work permit for about 12 years & this is the first time I have been asked for a medical for renewal although I now realise the requirement has been in force for a long time but just not followed in Phuket. It seems the days of the quick 50 Baht medical are over & the place where I used to get it in Phuket is now gone. Today I got mine from Mission for total cost of 255 Baht & about 1 1/2 hours of my time. For the poster who said "is it worth all the bother", I don't think it is a big deal to spend a day or two gathering all the paperwork & then spending some time in immigration & department of labour. I imagine it would be a lot more expensive & time consuming to do this elsewhere. When I was working overseas the company always had staff to take care of it.

Edited by Valentine

A veritable Tsunami of crackdowns in Phuket! If only the government officials ever did their jobs properly, instead of peacocking around trying to look important, there would be nothing to crackdown on.

But if they did that - What would we have to whine about?coffee1.gif

Good luck with your medical I bet you are really worried if you happen to have elephantiasis send me a photo

Cheers

I'd be more worried about the test for stage 3 Syphillus, which is included as one of the tests.

Small minded nationalistic as ever, mean while 100,000 of Thai's are legally allowed to "snatch" jobs around the real world with no problems.

You keep dreaming. Do you have any idea what kind of jobs Thais working? Jobs that local citizens doesn't want to work in, mostly as construction workers.

You really don't think a Thai can steal a farang's job do you?

Dear Kingstonkid,

If a friend is visiting me I'm a good host to and I hope that we all do. But that is not what I wrote about.

I go around with friends, they pay the net costs of the tour there is no profit making for me, because they are friends.

And I can not and will not believe that if you have 4 walk in customers in a shop that they all good friends where you take care for.

I see daily GM's going out on guided tours with full paying customers and that is as far as I know not the job of a general manager.

Why could he not do it, its his job. Its just jealousy they pay tax they do it all. If your prices were more competitive they would go with you. Problem is Thais dont like competition. Give good service at a fair price and you will always have business.

Or be Thai and run a business in Thailand, where you can regularly rip people off and still always have business....

Perhaps the article could stop using the word "locals" when they are really referring to the Taxi/tuktuk mafia, most of whom are not locals (not from Phuket), and none of whom work legally. (You need to file a tax return in order to work legally, even if you are Thai, and I bet none of them do).

So why does'nt some lever Thai official have a crackdown om Thais making out tax returns ?

And to think a while back some TV dolt said it was easy for a Foreigner to work in Thailand in a position other than teaching. Seems this is not the case.

On the other side of crazy. The locals make some noise about foreigners working and the government jumps into action, anyone complains about corruption and the wheels of actions seem to be frozen stuck.

Following complaints from foreigners that Thai jet ski operators, tuk tuk and taxi drivers and door staff, are ripping off and assaulting tourists, the government is going to do sweet FA. These issues are far too trivial for these people to deal with, like slaying the goose that is laying the golden egg. They will miss the tourism, it will be too late by then!

How about all of the expats pick up and move away? What would happen then? If I take a guest of mine to see local attractions or shopping that doesn't make me a tour guide, plus the fact that I am still spending money.

Now I am scared to bring family and friends over, I do not have a work permit to meet them at the airport, take them for a meal, or sightseeing. Mynamar and Cambodia are looking good!

Following complaints from foreigners that Thai jet ski operators, tuk tuk and taxi drivers and door staff, are ripping off and assaulting tourists, the government is going to do sweet FA. These issues are far too trivial for these people to deal with, like slaying the goose that is laying the golden egg. They will miss the tourism, it will be too late by then!

Many people here and everywhere else think only of short term gains. Nothing will change here, other than the country of origin most of the tourists will be coming from, as we've seen over the past few years.

The other three - could be rickets, polio or a disease of the skin which manifests itself as a white colour?wink.png

The other three - could be rickets, polio or a disease of the skin which manifests itself as a white colour?wink.png

It's the same medical certificate they use for drivers license or visa or most anything here in Thailand. See the link Medical Certificate:

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/pdf/medical_certificate.pdf

It's the same medical certificate they use for drivers license or visa or most anything here in Thailand. See the link Medical Certificate:

http://www.thaiconsu...certificate.pdf

It is actually 6 things as it includes alcoholism.

And it makes you a tour guide in the toughest interpretation of the law, as a Thai person could do that job

Im not allowed to wash my car becuase a Thai person could do that job

Bullshit.

had my car washed a few times was complete rubbish , they forgotten the backwindow , the ashtray the insides of the doors all the rubber from the doors and windows and so on , and not sure from on of them but got suddenly some awfull scratches in the fron window that you can only see when riding in the evening when the sun goes down

indeed it's bulshit one is not allowed to wash the car , or do some gardening around the house or make his own bacon

by that reasoning im not allowed to pay taxes also cos a thai person can do that also tongue.png