Status On Applying For Thai Pr?

Hi,

Does anyone have a clear idea what the dates are now for applying for PR are? from what I have read it seems 1) December and 2) there is a backlog of applicants?

so is it worth applying now or is there a "Good time" to start the process?

Many thanks for your info~!!

Chris

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The application start date is in December and varies from year to year and runs unltil the 31st.

The backlog has almost been cleared so if you apply this year you might only need to wait for a year or less.

Any documents required for PR application that take time to get (IE: background check) should be gotten ahead of time.

See Criteria and conditions for foreign national residential permit consideration on immigration website.

One last question is better to hire a lawyer to do this process for me or can I do it myself? I have all the criteria covered (Tax returns past 5 years, Marriage cert. 10+ years, Kids x2 10 and 8 years old etc,.)

If better to use a third person can you recommend anyone?

Thanks again

If you are married to a Thai you could apply for citizenship instead of going for PR.

You just need to have an income over 40K baht and on extensions of stay for 3 years.

You should be able to do either one yourself without the help of a lawyer.

oh ok I wasn't sure if I could go straight for Citz. I take it I could apply for that anytime correct? what would be the next step? a trip to immigration to start the process?

Truth is I lived here for nearly 18 years and its time to get this sorted out; at the end of the day I prefer to go straight to Citizenship....

Many thanks Ubonjoe :)

You apply for citizenship at Special Branch Police in Bangkok. If you are not in Bangkok you would have to use the provincial office where you live.

Do a search for Thai citizensship on this forum. There are several topics about it.

Edited by ubonjoe

NP I have WP and tax returns for the past 5 years (1XXK income per month) all in order and visa married to Thai for the same period...

I have had the income for the past 4 years or more, but during that time I was contracting outside of Thailand but still paid my taxes here, and also had a valid extension.

To the others, could I possibly apply for citizenship or is the WP rule still included?

Ok thanks guys very helpful in fact made my day :)

I am based in Bangkok to will start to find the next steps to do as you suggested will update you as and when I make any advances in case it helps others in the same situation!

Ok I found the following check list "list of required docs. Obviously no need for items 1 & 2 if you don't have PR.... will keep you posted as will take a week to get them all together and then I will go to apply....

Documents Required for Applications for Thai Citizenship by Naturalization

1. Alien registration book (copy of every page with information recorded) – 5 copies.

1. Certificate of residence (copy of every page with information recorded) – 5 copies.

1. Work permit (copy of every page with information recorded) – 2 copies.

1. 12 photographs – 2 x 2 inches – and 3 photographs of spouse (men should wear a suit and tie or praratchatarn, women should dress respectably).

1. House registration certificates of whole family (husband or wife and children, if any) – 5 copies.

1. Marriage certificate (translation required if in a language other than Thai) – 2 copies.

1. Evidence of bank deposits or a certified bank statement (should not be less than Baht 80,000).

1. Evidence of charitable donations (not less than Baht 5,000 and should include donations made some time ago, not just in time for nationality application).

1. Evidence of payment of the applicant’s personal income tax going back 3 years, certified by a Revenue Department official.

1. Evidence of the applicant’s employer, including company registration certificate, nangsue raprong list of shareholders, VAT registration certificate (phor phor 20) & etc. (1 copy of each).

1. Evidence of one year’s corporate income tax payment (Phor Ngor Dor 50), if the applicant is a shareholder.

1. Letter certifying the applicant’s employment, specifying the position and monthly salary, signed by an authorized signatory and stamped with the company’s seal.

1. ID card, alien registration book or other personal document of spouse and all children. In the case of a name change, documentation of that is required. 2 copies.

1. Educational certificates of the applicant and of all children.

1. ID card and house registration certificate of witnesses to attest to the applicant’s good conduct – 2 copies. (Two witnesses are required to attest to the applicant’s good conduct).

1. Affidavit confirming age of majority according the law of the applicant’s current nationality (from embassy or consulate) translated into Thai.

1. Affidavit from applicant’s embassy or consulate in Thailand that demonstrates the applicant’s intention to renounce his current nationality when his application for Thai nationality is approved.

1. Passport (copy of every page with information recorded) – 2 copies.

Applicants must apply in person to the Office of Naturalization bringing with them the originals of the above documents and pay the application fee of 5,000 baht. Enquiries for further clarification of the above requirements may be made by telephone to 02 252 1714, or 02 252 2708.

bkkfoxi, you probably won't need the affidavit confirming you are of age according to your country's law. That is waived in most cases but depends on nationality. You can save a couple of trips to your embassy and some cash without but check with Special Branch that the waiver applies to your nationality first.

Beano, yes, you do need a WP for the full three years, even though that is not made explicit. All your working details need to match and that means that the minimum is three calendar years with tax receipts notarised by Rev Dept, a work permit for the whole 3 years and a letter of employment. It doesn't matter that you have changed jobs but there should be not significant gaps. The employment letter must show a monthly salary that is exactly 1/12 times the annual income declared in your last tax receipt. This is crazy if you had a pay rise during the year or included your wife's income on the tax return but you have to get that magic number on the letter by hook or by crook.

Citizenship is likely to take even longer than PR but the documentary and financial requirements are less onerous and the rewards are better once you are successful.

The employment letter must show a monthly salary that is exactly 1/12 times the annual income declared in your last tax receipt.

That is not listed as a requirement and does not sound correct . Annual tax returns include all reported income - including salary + bonuses, rent, dividends, royalties etc. - your salary would never be exactly 1/12th of your annual taxable income. If what you say is correct it seems that Thailand's fine immigration don't understand the difference between salary and taxable income?

Edited by Time Traveller

One point is that on applying for citizenship you apparently have to provide a letter confirming your intention to renounce your exisitng citizenship if/when granted Thai nationality. I've no idea if this is enforcable or not, of course.

This seems to be quite a new requirement, and for me certainly is a show stopper, so I'll be staying a pr thanks.

Seeing as Britain accepts Duel nationality I can surrender my passport and simply reapply outside of Thailand for a new one - as long as I do not use the UK passport in and out of Thailand....

There is no requirement to turn over your previous passport.

They just ask you to state your "intention" to renounce it. There is no time limit, no follow up. A mere formality.

One last question is better to hire a lawyer to do this process for me or can I do it myself? I have all the criteria covered (Tax returns past 5 years, Marriage cert. 10+ years, Kids x2 10 and 8 years old etc,.)

If better to use a third person can you recommend anyone?

Thanks again

The list of documents required is easily obtainable from immigration in both Thai and English. The lawyer can't get these docs for you, he can only remind you what is missing...

The employment letter must show a monthly salary that is exactly 1/12 times the annual income declared in your last tax receipt.

That is not listed as a requirement and does not sound correct . Annual tax returns include all reported income - including salary + bonuses, rent, dividends, royalties etc. - your salary would never be exactly 1/12th of your annual taxable income. If what you say is correct it seems that Thailand's fine immigration don't understand the difference between salary and taxable income?

No it is not listed as a requirement, nor is it logical and it is nothing to do with Immigration which is not involved with citizenship applications. You can declare bonus and limited other income on the PNG 91 form which is the standard tax return form for salaried employees but, if you are declaring rent, dividends royalties etc that are subject to different deductions than salary income, you will have to use a PNG 90 form which, unlike the standard PNG 91 form, will show a breakdown that will spare you the part of this problem relating to other income. However, even using the complicated PNG 90 form doesn't get you off the hook, if your salary has changed during the year, or if there was gap, even of a few days, between jobs.

I am not really bothered if people believe me or not but I speak from recent experience.

I personaly visited Thai Immigration HQ around christmas time to chase up a Thai PR application. It would seam like after a long break of many years, they really have started processing PR's again.

The paperwork requirements are extensive to say the least, and it is safe to say that it would be impossible to put together the extensive PR paperwork application pack if commenced during the short 'acceptance window' that normaly occurs during December each year.

From the many listed paperwork requests given on the 'PR application documents needed' form, it is likley that several visits will be necessary to provide this and other 'clause #23' requests, in that 'The immigration officer can ask for any other supporting information he deams necessary' - I know from experience that these additional requests can be unpredictable and demanding.

To this end, I have hired a Bangkok lawyer this year to help apply for my own PR. She successfuly applied for a freinds PR recently. I do not have the time to spend chasing up all this paperwork and do not live in Bangkok. My on own application is proceeding as follows.

Jan 2013 - Presentation of all passports & work permit origonals over the last 17 years together with all company tax docs from the last 3 years to the lawyer for preliminary meeting with Immigration official 'friend' to determine if the PR application is worth persuing. Result - OK. Small changes made to my company salaries tax structure to bring it in line with what is deemed acceptable.

Feb - Mar 2013 translation of foriegn lanague education certs into Thai language plus foriegn ministry approval stamps etc.

April 2013 - addition of my name to wife's family tabien Baan house book

June 2013 - face to face Interview with immigration official and lawyer in Bangkok to determine if other supporting paperwork necessary.

October 2013 - overseas crminal background checks + other Thai official paperwork that is date limited

December 2013 - presentation of full documentaton pack to Bangkok Imiigration HQ

Well - thats the plan anyway. TIT.

I would do this as soon as possible, and is an important thing if you plan to apply for Thai nationality without PR.

Understood - Although not mentioned in the PR application, I was advised that your name in the Tabien Baan needs to be there for at least 6 months prior to the PR application.

Interestingly, Bangkok Immigration HQ stated that the normal route to Citizenship was to hold the PR for a few years (3 years, I think) prior to applying for citizenship. I read in this message string that naturalization is possible by a direct route; I just haven't met anyone locally who's pulled it off yet. (A direct citizenship application would be much better for myself - I read/write/sing Thai wai.gif )

Edited by SteveB2

If married to a Thai, you can now apply directly for Thai nationality after 3 years of marriage. I believe even 1 year if you have a child together.

But for Thai nationality without PR you do get a few less points and you must be on the household book.

I would look into it, as the requirements are not that much different, it is a cheaper process and gives more benefits.

You can apply for Thai Nationality without PR, must to be married to a Thai, have a child, must beed registered in the tabian baan for five years, and have an income of no less than 40,000/ month. I am considering to use this way this year, but still not sure, maybe i'll go for the pr first.

I would do this as soon as possible, and is an important thing if you plan to apply for Thai nationality without PR.

Needed for citizenship but not for PR. Most district offices will not put you in your wife's family tabien baan, assuming she and her family are Thai, because you are not entitled to be in a Thor Ror 14 (blue) tabien baan until you are a PR - Catch 22. You will probably need to apply for a Thor Ror 13 under the Civil Registration Act 2008. However, some district offices seem not to know this and might put you in the blue book.

Understood - Although not mentioned in the PR application, I was advised that your name in the Tabien Baan needs to be there for at least 6 months prior to the PR application.

Interestingly, Bangkok Immigration HQ stated that the normal route to Citizenship was to hold the PR for a few years (3 years, I think) prior to applying for citizenship. I read in this message string that naturalization is possible by a direct route; I just haven't met anyone locally who's pulled it off yet. (A direct citizenship application would be much better for myself - I read/write/sing Thai wai.gif )

The normal route to citizenship for males is to hold PR for 5 years first, not 3. The 2008 Nationality Act provided an exemption from the 5 years' residency requirement and the requirement to have knowledge of the Thai language for those who are married to a Thai national in Section 11.4. Unfortunately your singing ability will not be required, if you choose this route, as in practice they will only exempt you from having to sing the two anthems - listening to average applicants' singing attempts is rather painful for officials and they are only too glad to avoid this chore. However, reading and writing Thai will otherwise put you in good stead. First task should be to read the Nationality Act with 2008 amendments in Thai and memorise the vocabulary. Yes, a few people have already been successful through this route although the backlog and snail's pace of processing means that most post 2008 applicants without special connections are still at some indeterminate place in the black hole of the Interior Ministry and probably haven't even been interviewed yet.

• Like 1