Korat Expats Club

Korat Correct

There are an increasing number of farangs in the Korat Province,whether or not the old stagers like it and it may be time to start an Expats Club. Could be an informal meet at a local watering hole or hotel. Most don't need reminding of the Pattayaexpats Club success and the obvious need for an information based and communication linked centre. Has anyone settled here thought of getting involved or is staying incognito part of the attraction? :o

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking for myself: One of the "joys" of retirement is to not have so many commitments. An "official" expats club sounds a bit like a commitment. Having said that, if there was such a thing in Korat, would I be interested....maybe, maybe not. Would I attend....maybe, maybe not. That's about as "committal" that I can be now-a-days. :D And on a somewhat "informal" side, many of the Korat "expats" and others meet up for a beer now and then at the Pasinee Restaurant. See you there. :o

More or less the same as Ken.

Although some more knowledge about the "background" of the expats would be welcome.( nationality-hobbies and so on, may some mutual interests).

If I notice expats (?) sitting outside Pasinee around 12.00am with a bottle of beer ?

Not my taste, but may be there are other points of interest at another time and another place :o

After reading some of the replies I guess I would have to say that I too am in , when im in .

Meaning that I am not alway at home ( Korat ) but would enjoy meeting anyone that would like to get together when the time is right . I have found the Korat expat community to be a bit less than friendly than I would like but we all have ......... very inportant things to do . The problem with this ( that I see ) is that there are alot of farang in Korat and one would be hard pressed to get even a smile or a nod in passing . Thats all fine , I always wish them the best . Life , fun life , with friends or maybe even new friends would be better but maybe it's just me that they do not want to associate with .....

Anyway , I wish you all the best on forming your expat club and life in Korat in general . Do keep us/ me informed as to how it's going .

There are an increasing number of farangs in the Korat Province,whether or not the old stagers like it and it may be time to start an Expats Club. Could be an informal meet at a local watering hole or hotel. Most don't need reminding of the Pattayaexpats Club success and the obvious need for an information based and communication linked centre. Has anyone settled here thought of getting involved or is staying incognito part of the attraction? :o

I think that this is a great idea if we started this as I for one would like to exchange experiences, help others with information and know that I have some friends in Korat. But like the other guys have mentioned we should not have commitments like a get together every other Friday, we should just arrange to meet once say every 3 months and let everyone agree on a meeting place and date.

Lets get this started and see who would like to jion up. :D

I'm retired and living in Bangkok but occasionally visit Korat and could possibly move there in the future. I had worked there in the late 60's and early 70's for about 4 years. I'd be interested in joining.

I would say such a roundtable would be definitely a good idea; however, i am currently staying on Phuket and do only come occasionally to Khorat.

So if something like that gets organized, it would be nice to post the meeting dates here.

I'll be back in the Khorat area in the next month. I've picked up a couple of mates the two times I've been there (Khonburi) and would deffo be up for a meet - If n00bs are allowed that is ;-)

Edited by al warner

I agree with Ken, one of the joys of in my case semi-retirement, is not having to commit to anything..... :o

An Expats Club sounds like it would involve commiting to regular meetings, agendas, speakers and far too much formality for me....... :D

How about an unofficial TV Piss Up in Korat?

I am sure we can find a nice venue, Pasinee's as suggested earlier is good.

If any of you are interested lets set a date....... :D

And Al Warner why did you describe yourself as a n00b? :D ?

An Expats Club sounds like it would involve commiting to regular meetings, agendas, speakers and far too much formality for me....... :o

I don't think it would be anything like that . If it was , im not interested .

No agendas , no speakers 5555 none of that .

Just some people getting together at the same time ( when we can ) and having a few laughs and sipping a few beers . Nothing official but like I said before I doubt 4 farang from Korat could get together at the same time if it was planned .

Ok Mumbo , see you in July . Keep in touch , and Ken you better show up . I know where you live :D

In the past sixteen years I have seen various attempts of that. Some lastet quite some time others were short-lived.

As Korat is becoming more and more hectic city most of us old (???) people move outside. That makes meeting in the city difficult since we all live far apart.

For certain occations - let's say, like celebrating the 4th of July (Americans) or 3rd of October (Germans) or whatever - meetings can be organized. For those memorable dates people can easier organize a lift and look forward to.

Another problem is where. Meetings in private places were best, but the problem was that people got used to having the same host instead of offering to be the host next time. Also contributing was a problem: Some contributed freely - some just consumed freely!

So meetings moved to restaurants, there was more drinking, less communication, and less people by the time.

The hangouts proved to be better informal meeting places, but you hardly see many new faces there.

So I suggest a list of interested people for a certain event, then let's organize where and contributions in advance.

So put me up for July 4th ond Oct 3rd, if enough others can be found. A picnic would be fun. Though my garden is still under "construction" and about 20 km from Yamo, picnics are possible.

Klaus :o

I believe that's what the cool kids call us "newbies".........

:o

Any, way thanks for saying hello. I'm based in Amphur Khonburi, but would happily jump at the chance to get the <deleted> into Khorat for the day at very short notice.

:D

Back in Isaan on the 3rd of April.

I agree with Ken, one of the joys of in my case semi-retirement, is not having to commit to anything..... :o

An Expats Club sounds like it would involve commiting to regular meetings, agendas, speakers and far too much formality for me....... :D

At the typical hang-outs are always some farangs, I doubt much will come from meeting at one. If you arrive there, how can you tell the difference who's "just" hanging out as usual or has come for the"constitution of a group?

I suggest first taking up a list of people and then attempting to find out how and where to meet.

List me as J. Klaus Weil, living 20 km from Yamo, difficult to come to town and back for the usual evening meetings.

At the typical hang-outs are always some farangs, I doubt much will come from meeting at one. If you arrive there, how can you tell the difference who's "just" hanging out as usual or has come for the"constitution of a group?

I suggest first taking up a list of people and then attempting to find out how and where to meet.

List me as J. Klaus Weil, living 20 km from Yamo, difficult to come to town and back for the usual evening meetings.

So the "roundtable" is up against "family picnics with wives and kids. I favour the latter. Anybody interested, post seriously?

The enthusiasm is there.

Where there a will there's a way.

Does anyone have committee experience and leadership qualities? Rules of engagement are critical if the Group is not to be highjacked.

Issan is big and some form of communication would seem important to keep "members" informed.

All this can cost money. would say a 1000bht intial membership be acceptable? Certainly a place where childen and Thai wives/girlfriends are catered for seems important.

Suggest steering committee of interested members meet in a Korat Hotel Lounge initially. Does the Sima Thani or Sri Pattana ( next to Passinee Restaurant) appeal for a July date. If six put their hands up. Its on! The more the merrier in case of "apologies"

The enthusiasm is there.

Does anyone have committee experience and leadership qualities? Rules of engagement are critical if the Group is not to be highjacked.

Issan is big and some form of communication would seem important to keep "members" informed.

All this can cost money. would say a 1000bht intial membership be acceptable? Certainly a place where childen and Thai wives/girlfriends are catered for seems important.

Suggest steering committee of interested members meet in a Korat Hotel Lounge initially. Does the Sima Thani or Sri Pattana ( next to Passinee Restaurant) appeal for a July date. If six put their hands up. Its on! The more the merrier in case of "apologies"

I'll be in town July 6th so count me in anytime after that .

Picnics are good with the wife and kids too . I have a few of those .

The enthusiasm is there.

Sorry. This is already sounding way to "formal" for me. But hey, that's just me. :o

The enthusiasm is there.

Sorry. This is already sounding way to "formal" for me. But hey, that's just me. :D

And me! :o !

But an Ad Hoc picnic with wives and kids sounds good. :D

Early July is good for me too...... :D

The enthusiasm is there.

Sorry. This is already sounding way to "formal" for me. But hey, that's just me. :D

Yep, I like thr idea of an Ad Hoc picnics. Many a nice place out & about the the kids to run free, the woman to yak, and for us men to get pissed. Ill bring the ice and a case of cheers.

So Ken you better get breeding ( or at least practice :D:D ), but like you I dont really think we need to make it all formal, and select committee, paying members and all that jazz.

The enthusiasm is there.

Yep, I like thr idea of an Ad Hoc picnics. Many a nice place out & about the the kids to run free, the woman to yak, and for us men to get pissed. Ill bring the ice and a case of cheers.

So Ken you better get breeding ( or at least practice :D:D ), but like you I dont really think we need to make it all formal, and select committee, paying members and all that jazz.

I fully agree with Cheeky. If we're making it too formal from the beginning it will not work out for sure. We need some committed people who start making lists of farangs in Korat, maybe just by opening a web page where they are entered. Then invite them. Not everybody plays on ThaiVisa.com.

And money is always the problem. The older people get the less they trust anybody with money for a cause. Communication in the age of the internet is not a cost factor anymore, so it does not require a common pot for expenses.

Meeting places should be chosen on the basis of engagement. I'm sure there are lots of us, who are happy to be host for one meeting or two if they are sure, that they don't have to pay for everything - that everybody brings a share to consume - and that they don't have to do all the cleaning afterwards - something that worked fairly well in the former attempts thanks to our ladies.

And especially nobody should be the (only) host every time - which was a problem before. Paul's place was too nice and central to move on to somebody else's - so nobody came forward with an invitation to his place. Sure not everybody has the facilities but most of us have.

Klaus

The enthusiasm is there.

Sorry. This is already sounding way to "formal" for me. But hey, that's just me. :burp:

And me! :D !

So Ken you better get breeding ( or at least practice :P:D ), but like you I dont really think we need to make it all formal, and select committee, paying members and all that jazz.

I fully agree with Cheeky. If we're making it too formal from the beginning it will not work out for sure. We need some committed people who start making lists of farangs in Korat, maybe just by opening a web page where they are entered. Then invite them. Not everybody plays on ThaiVisa.com.

And money is always the problem. The older people get the less they trust anybody with money for a cause. Communication in the age of the internet is not a cost factor anymore, so it does not require a common pot for expenses.

Meeting places should be chosen on the basis of engagement. I'm sure there are lots of us, who are happy to be host for one meeting or two if they are sure, that they don't have to pay for everything - that everybody brings a share to consume - and that they don't have to do all the cleaning afterwards - something that worked fairly well in the former attempts thanks to our ladies.

And especially nobody should be the (only) host every time - which was a problem before. Paul's place was too nice and central to move on to somebody else's - so nobody came forward with an invitation to his place. Sure not everybody has the facilities but most of us have.

Klaus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of interested people

Please enter your name, phone number and email as a start.

- J. Klaus Weil, phone: 072574808, email [email protected]

I pm'ed my info to Klaus (cc to jeff1)

We always can have some kind of pre(meeting) on the Chat !

As an example: Lately I see regular a small group of german language speaking (older :o ) men,who meet in the Mall ( Coffee world).They drink some and snack some.It only takes a few hours in the morning ( I have the feeling that they meet every Thursday).

As an example: Lately I see regular a small group of german language speaking (older :o ) men,who meet in the Mall ( Coffee world).They drink some and snack some.It only takes a few hours in the morning ( I have the feeling that they meet every Thursday).

And that's our issue: to bring these small groups together somehow. And collect the loners on the way. One steady big group is unlikely but for certain events . . .

So get people for a list, name or nickname, phone and/or email. A little info, profile of yourself is helpful.

And that's our issue: to bring these small groups together somehow. And collect the loners on the way. One steady big group is unlikely but for certain events . . .

So get people for a list, name or nickname, phone and/or email. A little info, profile of yourself is helpful.

Counting all who showed some interest by now we count already a dozen.

I held a "get-to-gether" at my house Sept last year. Met many a nice bod, such as Ken, Dereck,Peder,Mikex2,Martin etc and lets not forget our friends that put themselves out that came all the way from Nakon Sawan (our cow farm RC) and the famous Yorky and Martin all the way from Surin. All were invited to bring their other half and the kids along. We had a great time, from memory there was about a dozen farangs there, and in turn this has led to other gatherings amongst those of us that live fairly close to each other.

I think maybe the way to go is Name a Date, Time, and for a Picnic in the park in Korat town, that way we can meet many other Korat dwellers, and "IF NEED BE, WE CAN BE SELECTIVE" who we would WANT to invite to a get-together at our houses. I for one have bumped into a farang in Phi Mai who I wouln't piss on if he was on fire.

General Consensus so far seems to be JULY. All we need know if name the Date. Also I feel it should be a mid afternoon meet, as some of us have young brats and will need to get home at a "normal" hour of the evening. ( Hint -- My birthday is late July so SUNDAY 29th would be good ) and like I said before, I am happy to bring along the ice and plenty bottles of Cheers.

CF