' Horse Lasagne' Sparks New British Food Scare

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rolleyes.gif It is officially regarded as a "mislabeling" problem .... theoretically if it was labeled as "horsemeat for Lasagne" it wouldn't have been a mislabeling.

However, the reason that it is being removed is that horses may have been fed veterinary drugs .... approved for horses .... and NOT approved for human consumption.

That's what they are really worried about .... and why the meat is being removed from sale.

Of course, as another poster mentioned ... how would meat labeled as from Horses actually sell?

But horse meat (without vet drugs not approved for humans) is actually a good rare and lean meat of high quality.

But who would buy it in the U.K.?

Edited by Scott
format

May not be dangerous but it is false advertising. Perhaps relabel it 'horse lasagne" and see how many takers. biggrin.png

We don't knowingly eat horse in the UK,but they do in France where they where the Lasagne was made,and imported!

Maybe the new slogan should be "Findus we don't horse around with your Food" smile.png

My eldest brother told me mum served it up during WWII. She always told dad it was beef though.

Someone really should take the reins with this issue to find a stable solution so the odds are much improved for a win for the food punters. It's not worth the gamble waiting with this type of fixing just to make money. coffee1.gif ..................................smile.png

Fortunately the British aren't known for obsessing about hygiene, personal or in food prep, so their stomachs probably have an innate immunity to things like veterinary meds & equine diseases anyway.

My aim in life is to beat the flies to the butchers here in Ranong. sick.gif

• Like 2

Oh where do i start? whistling.gif

I'll have a double "Mr Ed" burger and fries

I just had a steak and my 1K run turned into several furlongs!

I dont want to beat a dead horse so i'll let others contribute biggrin.png

Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the Hole, Spotted Dick, Bangers and Mash and Hormonally Enhance Horse ... hard to choose which is most likely to cause an adverse reaction. Fortunately the British aren't known for obsessing about hygiene, personal or in food prep, so their stomachs probably have an innate immunity to things like veterinary meds & equine diseases anyway.

This is the same country that brought us the ever popular Bovine spongiform encephalopathy or at least kept it in the news.

----EDIT----

I shouldn't have bothered. Suradit69 can carry on eating the safe meats in Thailand without my advice.

Edited by draftvader

Some belters in here.... Please keep the horse jokes coming guys!

I read something when this initially kicked off about how some horses had been treated with some drug that can cause cancer in humans. Although they said at the time none of those horses would ever enter the food chain for humans it does make you wonder if they can make a mistake like this what else are they capable of.

Cottage Pie?

Being from 'the continent' I really don't 'get' what the big deal is here, can anyone explain what's the scare here?

Is horse meat good for you? It’s a little better than beef. A three-ounceserving of roast horse has 149 calories, 24 grams of protein, and five grams of fat. The same amount of beef tenderloin has 179 calories, 24 grams of protein, and nine grams of fat.

The deal is that companies were using horse meat but selling it as beef. This is against the law. Yes beilieve it or not some countries do have laws so that businesses can't tell lies sorry, misrespresent goods, to customers.

No problems if someone wants to buy and eat horse meat - but don't sell it as beef.

Interesting to see if there are prosecutions to come out of this.

That's If they tell the Unbridled truth,but probably an unstable whipping boy will take the reins,and gallop off to pastures new,and take a Sh**load of Prize money in his Saddle Bag, with him!

Edited by MAJIC

Well if they are going source meat from Romania, then this sort of things are likely to happen. Get what you pay for the big supermarkets drive down all suppliers on price so they get what they pay for.

Quality horse or eye holes and arse holes of beef I would go with horse meat every time.

Being from 'the continent' I really don't 'get' what the big deal is here, can anyone explain what's the scare here?

Is horse meat good for you? It’s a little better than beef. A three-ounceserving of roast horse has 149 calories, 24 grams of protein, and five grams of fat. The same amount of beef tenderloin has 179 calories, 24 grams of protein, and nine grams of fat.

The deal is that companies were using horse meat but selling it as beef. This is against the law. Yes beilieve it or not some countries do have laws so that businesses can't tell lies sorry, misrespresent goods, to customers.

No problems if someone wants to buy and eat horse meat - but don't sell it as beef.

Interesting to see if there are prosecutions to come out of this.

this is only the tip of the iceberg

http://realfoodblog....from-last-year/

Edited by Asiantravel

bbc world news 5am thai time,findus says they could be the victims of fraud,who would that be i wonder,a company as big as them must have quality control someone who is responsable for checking batches of certain delivery's.so you have the suppliers of meat in the first place then the producers and packers there is 2 inspections that should have taken place before they reach findus,you can guarantee a lot of the products will have been sub contracted.then you have the food standads agency uk.this looks like a lot of brown envelope's have been dished out and not on a plate either.the last time what i can remember this happened the co.changed their name.yesterday i did have a mince beef and onion pie dont know what was in it but mrs.meat said i was like a stallion this morn.cheesy.gif

This is perhaps the most disturbing thread on here for some reason. Even my Russian wife went ewe and I figured they probably ate horse in Russia. Russians eat pig feet, beef tounge and duck neck. We eat out often . . . Poor wifey is just not much of a cook.

Edited by F430murci