' Horse Lasagne' Sparks New British Food Scare

webfact

And now it spreads to Nestle products as well... From the BBC:

19 February 2013 Last updated at 00:00 GMT

Nestle removes beef pasta meals after finding horsemeat

Nestle, the world's biggest food company, has removed beef pasta meals from shelves in Italy and Spain after tests revealed traces of horse DNA.

The Swiss-based firm has halted deliveries of products containing meat from a German supplier.

Nestle is the latest in a string of major food producers to find traces of horsemeat in beef meals.

A spokesman for the company said levels of horse DNA were very low but above 1%.

Last week the firm said its products did not contain horsemeat.

Nestle withdrew two chilled pasta products, Buitoni Beef Ravioli and Beef Tortellini, in Italy and Spain.

MORE:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why all the fuss? not uncommon.... the French and Belgians have been eating horses for a long long time.....

Yeah, they've been eating horse for donkey's years....

So have the Brits, apperently. Unlikely that horse being mixed up with beef is a new thing seeing as how many working horses they had in the past.

It emerged that the Queen and members of the Royal Family may have eaten horse meat passed off as beef as it was revealed that catering company Sodexo had found horsemeat in minced beef products

We are not amused !! Off with their heads !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2283248/Bute-Drug-tainted-horse-meat-entered-food-chain-claims-France-revealed-contaminated-produce-served-Queen-Royal-Ascot.html

It emerged that the Queen and members of the Royal Family may have eaten horse meat passed off as beef as it was revealed that catering company Sodexo had found horsemeat in minced beef products

Does that mean that Camilla is a cannibal?

Edited by Credo
  • Like 1

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Romania recently passed a new law banning horse drawn carts on public roads. A lot of horses sudddenly became surplus to requirements. The BBC this morning reports that the meat was exported to France correctly labled as horse and that a french company then changed the labeling to beef before sending on to the food processing factories.

now we are getting to the real issue FRAUD.. the use of the word "contamination" gives the impression that horse meat is risky or worse. the real issue is that probably millions of people have consumed some degree of horse meat for decades without knowing or sold as beef..... Now who is going to take on the big companies for misrepresentation or fraud....I can see all beef products going sky high after all this media exposure

Not that it makes the situation any better, but I would take a guess that horse meat is generally safer to eat than beef. The horses are not fed a lot of the additives that are given to cattle to make them grow. Since many of the horses are dispensable, they were probably free from antibiotics and other medication that are given to cattle.

I doubt they spent any time in a feed lot being 'fed up' for slaughter. They were most likely only grass fed.

That doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it any less deceptive.

Facts i didnt need to know sick.gif

what-horse-meat-actually-tastes-like

"Horse meat varies in color. Meat from younger horses is lighter in color, and flavor, while meat from older horses has a deeper color and flavor. Horse meat is lean, typically, and relatively tender. Older horses are considered to have the most tender meat -- different than say veal from a cow.

Horse meat is a bit sweet in taste. Some think it is a blend between beef (a cow) and venison (deer). People use it similar to the way they use beef, putting it in sandwiches, or serving it in a slab. The cooking time is generally shorter than that of beef, in part because of its lean qualities."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Count me as you third

People were looking at me to see why i was laughing so hard!

Thanks dude, i needed that today :)

Perhaps the days of being so picky about, which animal based protein is acceptable, is coming to an end.

For me there is no mammal I would not eat, if it were cooked hygienically. Though I do have issues with which parts I would eat.

Edit: I forgot to say that I would not choose to eat animals which are rare and endangered.

Edited by canuckamuck