Monkey House. What Is It?

tariq

You must have heard this term in 'a bar'

Just like the word 'butterfly' (Japanese in origin) to represent someone who 'plays around'.

The term 'monkey house' is a term which could be considered 'bar-girl' English. The rest of the Thai population wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about (Unless they were ex-bar-girls!)

Just like the word 'butterfly' (Japanese in origin) to represent someone who 'plays around'.

The term 'monkey house' is a term which could be considered 'bar-girl' English. The rest of the Thai population wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about (Unless they were ex-bar-girls!)

What a lot of rot!!!!!

:o:D:D

Hi

A thai person told me their friend " go to monkey house for five years"...

What's a monkey house? Is it an asylum or... what?

Cheers

Taz...

Subject: What is the Monkey House, you ask...

Thai jails are notoriously severe and known locally as the Monkey House, mainly because of the large communal cells, with up to 150 people to a cell. Sanitation is very basic - sometimes only an open squat loo. Food is meagre, but your friends can bring you food. Most people have heard of the "Bangkok Hilton", which is the nickname of Thailand toughest jail. Life here can really means life.

http://www.pattayagogoguide.com/info/info_jail.html

I just googled it and that was a good answer I thought!

I've never heard a Thai person use the term, but have definately heard it and used it before, so think your a bit off key there dude.

wikipedia mentions it here:

In English, the word "house" can be used in combination with other words to describe buildings other than residential dwellings, such as an opera house, a "monkey house" (a building for several cages) in a zoo, etc. A "madhouse" is a disparaging term for a mental hospital or insane asylum (also see House (disambiguation) for more.) The White House also has only a secondary use as a dwelling.

I suspect the use for prisons come from the fact that they have a lot of cages too. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

I've never heard a Thai person use the term, but have definately heard it and used it before, so think your a bit off key there dude.

wikipedia mentions it here:

In English, the word "house" can be used in combination with other words to describe buildings other than residential dwellings, such as an opera house, a "monkey house" (a building for several cages) in a zoo, etc. A "madhouse" is a disparaging term for a mental hospital or insane asylum (also see House (disambiguation) for more.) The White House also has only a secondary use as a dwelling.

I suspect the use for prisons come from the fact that they have a lot of cages too. :o

No, it is a Thai slang term, (Baan Ling).

As for it's derivation, my theory is that monkey is being used as derogative term for the prisoners.

This may seem obvious but it would make sense as Thais view anyone who is locked up as extremely low.

"Butterfly" in this context is widely used around the world, e.g. french papillon means the same thing. Although, curiously, in spanish it is quite different, mariposa means gay.

Interesting that you say japanese origin, would be interested in references. The analogy is fairly obvious from butterflies flitting from flower to flower.

The term "Monkey House" is not a Thai term.....it is English in origin, coined by the prisoners themselves.

And it has to do with the prisoners feeling like monkeys in cages when they are locked up and watched over by guards.

The term "Monkey House" is not a Thai term.....it is English in origin, coined by the prisoners themselves.

And it has to do with the prisoners feeling like monkeys in cages when they are locked up and watched over by guards.

By Thai term, I didn't necessarily mean that it originated in Thailand. I was replying to a quote from someone who said they had never heard it spoken by a Thai.

I have heard it spoken many, many times by Thais in Thai (i.e. baan ling).

As for your theory that it was coined by the prisoners, Yeah, that seems a pretty possible explanation.

"Butterfly" in this context is widely used around the world, e.g. french papillon means the same thing. Although, curiously, in spanish it is quite different, mariposa means gay.

Interesting that you say japanese origin, would be interested in references. The analogy is fairly obvious from butterflies flitting from flower to flower.

and sipping their nectar, while pollinating :o

"Is that a proboscis in your trousers - or are you just pleased to see me", with apologies to Mae West :D

Edited by Ricardo

What a lot of rot!!!!!

:o:D:D

IMO Absolute <deleted>. They might not understand "monkey house" as it is not their language, but they will surely understand "baan ling" ! !