Two Australian Sisters Recount Their Horror Speedboat Trip To Phi Phi

webfact

I cannot agree with Soidog who feels there is not enough information to form a correct opinion. The only information that you need is that the driver accelerated into a large wave, and quite obviously did not reduce speed as he neared the crest. I am a trained coxswain with over 25 years experience driving Fast rescue craft and small work-boats. The only reason to accelerate into a large wave is to maintain seaway and ensure the vessel does not broach. However it is critical to reduce speed very quickly as you near the crest to prevent the vessel behaving exactly as it has done in these circumstances. I think Adrilou has already made this point.

I have to re-certify on a regular basis, I wonder how many times the Thai 'captain' has been re-certified, or indeed what training, and from which acknowledged body, he initially recieved it ??.

What a crock of crap from these idiots in wooden long nose boats. Having been on the receiving end of the same style of driving from Koh Lanta to Koh Har, also from Krabi to No, Hong and other islands (on many occasions), these fools have no brains and no idea of safety. Then to get the company to make 'statements' countering the charges, the truth lies in the injured, not the lame excuses from these nut cases. But with no coast guards and like Thai drivers in general, there is a complete disregard for anything like safety on land, or water. About time the maritime authorities got off their collective asses and started doing something about it. Another nail in the tourist coffin...

As a person who has spent signficant time in small power boats it is not an unusual practice to increase power when heading into a heavy sea ...in fact is it prundent to do so in most circumstances. Many times the changing seas and wind require the use of on the spot judgement to decide the best course of action. This is called seamanship. I have done so many times....headlong in to a very large wave may be the correct decision at the time. Not saying that what happened is acceptable but please realise that being at sea isn't the same as popping down to the 7-11 on the scooter...things can and do change rapidly and with little warning. The outcome could have been much worse.

Common faults with fibreglass boats here:

a) Overloaded by 20-50%

b ) Overpowered (3 engines on a chassis designed for 2)

c) An Idiot at the helm who does't realise that there are lower speeds between 'Full Throttle' & 'Stop' modes.

d) Reluctance to cancel a trip due to Sea state/Passenger safety..

Nothing will change until culpability is taken seriously here (not in my lifetime).

The problem in Thailand is, that "Lawyers" here are NOT like "Lawyers" in civilized countries; a typical Farang, when he walks into a Law-Office in Thailand, places the same amount of 'unconditional trust' in the Thai' lawyer and that's a BIG mistake, since 95% of Thai lawyers (if they even went to law-school ! !) are NOT trustworthy ! - Same goes for anything else, Police; Post-Office; City-Hall Officials et al) like these Boat-Rides; Farang automatically assumes that these operations are as professional as similar ones on the Gold-Coast, Florida or similar places; the problem is, these operations are NOT professional and these girls have just discovered this.

Thailand is a 'young' country and still has a helluva lot of "developing" to do . . . . . obviously !

wai.gif

thank God for that...the mindset of "entitlement" is slowly but surely destroying the West with the culture of lawyers and compensation. Somebody trips over...someone has to pay..the local council, the shop owner ..whoevever. It is becoming to position no matter what happens somebody has to pay somebody for their own stupidity...and eventually we all pay in one way or another. God I love Thailand!!!!

I've read all the posts and articles I could find on this topic. Yes, you need to increase power up the trough of a wave, but once you reach the crest of the wave, you decrease power and veer off on the backside of the wave. Especially when sailing. The trough compresses the wind, you can steer higher, then fall off at the crest as the wind changes direction. I really doubt they have 40 foot seas here, so I can't find an excuse for these people being injured other than ego and incompetence of the "captain". A tour "guide" telling them they should hold on. Really? I've been thrown off a boat in rough seas, I was wearing a flotation vest then and I always wear a life jacket now. And if rough seas, a harness. Although the "life jackets" they seem to use here are not the proper type for passengers. They are water skiing vests, which won't keep your head out of the water if unconscious. There have been lives lost in the past because of these boats breaking apart and sinking, yet little has changed. The Thai Navy Marine Division 5 seems to be on par with the local bibs when it comes to actually enforcing any laws.... Just take the ferry to Phi Phi, you'll arrive safely.

a) Overloaded by 20-50%

c) An Idiot at the helm who does't realise that there are lower speeds between 'Full Throttle' & 'Stop' modes.

Nothing will change until culpability is taken seriously here (not in my lifetime).

The problem in Thailand is, that "Lawyers" here are NOT like "Lawyers" in civilized countries; a typical Farang, when he walks into a Law-Office in Thailand, places the same amount of 'unconditional trust' in the Thai' lawyer and that's a BIG mistake, since 95% of Thai lawyers (if they even went to law-school ! !) are NOT trustworthy ! - Same goes for anything else, Police; Post-Office; City-Hall Officials et al) like these Boat-Rides; Farang automatically assumes that these operations are as professional as similar ones on the Gold-Coast, Florida or similar places; the problem is, these operations are NOT professional and these girls have just discovered this.

Thailand is a 'young' country and still has a helluva lot of "developing" to do . . . . . obviously !

wai.gif

If Thailand is so young how come their calendar is 500 odd years ahead of the western worlds, just a query.

thank God for that...the mindset of "entitlement" is slowly but surely destroying the West with the culture of lawyers and compensation. Somebody trips over...someone has to pay..the local council, the shop owner ..whoevever. It is becoming to position no matter what happens somebody has to pay somebody for their own stupidity...and eventually we all pay in one way or another. God I love Thailand!!!!

I will agree that lawsuits have gotten out of hand in my home country. I take personal responsibility for my actions, but how many other shirk theirs? In Thailand it used to be, if you, the farang wasn't here, there would be no accident. Now with insurance companies, we can cover our asses a bit more. But still, as this OP article states, it was the farangs fault for not holding onto the railing, rather than reckless driving on the part of the idiot driving the boat. Some things seem to never really change here.

a) Overloaded by 20-50%

wai.gif

If Thailand is so young how come their calendar is 500 odd years ahead of the western worlds, just a query.

"Young" in relation to their tourism industry. Thailand is not like a European country that has had tourism for several decades.

Also, "young" meaning they are an "emerging economy."

Why are they complaining about not being given life jackets? If it was such an issue, they should have asked for them, and not boarded the boat if they weren't given any. Easy to complain after the fact, but why not do something about it when you have a chance. But also shows the shockingly lax standards here. But hey, that's all part of the excitement of living here.

Part of a Captains duties is to ensure the passengers are complying with safety i.e wearing lifejackets,it may be part of the excitement of living here,but that does'nt include injuries or risking ones life,with incompetent Captains!

• Like 1

These brainless morons who drive speedboats from Ao Chalong to Phi Phi and the Racha Islands have no idea how to control a boat even in calm waters.

They obtain a license by paying for it without having to take any form of test of competency or knowledge of the sea. There is no control over them whatsoever.

That is why they scream through the moorings at full speed with no regard for safety.

The harbourmaster offered me a "captain's license" for my girlfriend for ฿ 1,500 and she knows nothing about boats or how to drive one. I declined his offer.

Motor car, van, bus, tuk tuk, taxi drivers - all same-same.

Edited by Payboy

Carelessness? What about incompetence and macho recklessness?

I am a ritired boat captain. I"ve been "driving" everything from sailboats to speedboats to Megayachts in all weather conditions in all kinds of waters: rivers, sea, rapids, lakes...

I am amazed that people buy that this speedboat driver has avoided a worst situation by speeding up as the waves got bigger. This is not rocket science it goes like this:

A wave is composed of a crest and a through. If you are going fast enough for any part of the boat hull to break contact with the surface of the water, it will come back down resulting in an impact. If you race up the crest of the wave, then the whole boat or most of it will get airborne, especially a speedboat, and since these vessels are flat bottomed or nearly, the boat will hit the water again, and the force of the impact will depend on the weight of the vessel, its speed, which part hits the water first, etc...But one thing is for sure: there will be an impact.

Now, to avoid the impact, you slow down so that the hull of the boat does not leave the surface of the water and just glides up and down causing no impact. If slowing down causes the waves to crash in the boat or treathen the vessel in any way, you should not be out there with that boat buddy!

Good mariners know this instinctively, like you instinctively avoid potholes on the road, right? I have known a captain to sink a multimillion dollar yacht in the Adriatic Sea by speeding up against big waves, causing a heavy piece of equipment to get dislodged and crash through a big plate glass on the front deck.

Speeding up on rough sea is hard on the vessel and hard on the passengers and crew. Period. You see rescue vessels fly over the waves on TV. But these guys are pros, are equipped to do that, and I can assure you that they are sore all over after a run like that. These are not passenger vessels!

May I humbly advise that, if you are on one of these speedboats with one of these jerks and the see is rough and you start getting tossed around uncomfortably. Don't wait. Demand that the driver slows down.

Fair winds to you all

Absolutely correct. The moron Thai captain claimed he had to fight the wave by speeding up the vessel. Typical Thai monkey intelligence at the helm. These boats are planing hulls meaning that the more you jack the throttle, the higher the hull goes up out of the water and of course common sense does tell you that what goes up must come down. If the Thai Captain really had 20 years of experience he would have realized this and played easy on the throttle going in the crest and approaching it from different angles. These unfortunate, young ladies will never get the compensation they are seeking from these Thai scam artists.

What a crock of crap from these idiots in wooden long nose boats. Having been on the receiving end of the same style of driving from Koh Lanta to Koh Har, also from Krabi to No, Hong and other islands (on many occasions), these fools have no brains and no idea of safety. Then to get the company to make 'statements' countering the charges, the truth lies in the injured, not the lame excuses from these nut cases. But with no coast guards and like Thai drivers in general, there is a complete disregard for anything like safety on land, or water. About time the maritime authorities got off their collective asses and started doing something about it. Another nail in the tourist coffin...

As a person who has spent signficant time in small power boats it is not an unusual practice to increase power when heading into a heavy sea ...in fact is it prundent to do so in most circumstances. Many times the changing seas and wind require the use of on the spot judgement to decide the best course of action. This is called seamanship. I have done so many times....headlong in to a very large wave may be the correct decision at the time. Not saying that what happened is acceptable but please realise that being at sea isn't the same as popping down to the 7-11 on the scooter...things can and do change rapidly and with little warning. The outcome could have been much worse.

But it depends on the design of the hull. Small power boats (ie most modern 'fishing' and even cruising boats) hulls are designed to 'cut' into waves with a sharper angle of the hull, this is at the expensive of speed of course, but they can ultimately go faster through larger waves, because they cut through them.

Speed boats are designed for relatively calm weather with a much larger angle on the hull (ie more flat) so that they skim across the water at high speeds. However they are much more dangerous in choppy and worse conditions.

The boat design is different as they suit completely different purposes. Fishing boats and normal cruising boats are much more forgiving than speed boats in rougher conditions.

That's where these captains have no idea what they are doing. They (most of them) drive one way regardless of conditions, where as they should be dramatically changing their driving habits.

I am a ritired boat captain. I"ve been "driving" everything from sailboats to speedboats to Megayachts in all weather conditions in all kinds of waters: rivers, sea, rapids, lakes...

I am amazed that people buy that this speedboat driver has avoided a worst situation by speeding up as the waves got bigger. This is not rocket science it goes like this:

A wave is composed of a crest and a through. If you are going fast enough for any part of the boat hull to break contact with the surface of the water, it will come back down resulting in an impact. If you race up the crest of the wave, then the whole boat or most of it will get airborne, especially a speedboat, and since these vessels are flat bottomed or nearly, the boat will hit the water again, and the force of the impact will depend on the weight of the vessel, its speed, which part hits the water first, etc...But one thing is for sure: there will be an impact.

Now, to avoid the impact, you slow down so that the hull of the boat does not leave the surface of the water and just glides up and down causing no impact. If slowing down causes the waves to crash in the boat or treathen the vessel in any way, you should not be out there with that boat buddy!

Good mariners know this instinctively, like you instinctively avoid potholes on the road, right? I have known a captain to sink a multimillion dollar yacht in the Adriatic Sea by speeding up against big waves, causing a heavy piece of equipment to get dislodged and crash through a big plate glass on the front deck.

Speeding up on rough sea is hard on the vessel and hard on the passengers and crew. Period. You see rescue vessels fly over the waves on TV. But these guys are pros, are equipped to do that, and I can assure you that they are sore all over after a run like that. These are not passenger vessels!

May I humbly advise that, if you are on one of these speedboats with one of these jerks and the see is rough and you start getting tossed around uncomfortably. Don't wait. Demand that the driver slows down.

Fair winds to you all

On my last trip to Koh Har the vessels came ex Krabi and it blew up so hard we had to o'night in Lanta. One idiot in a 5 x 200 HP Honda wooden vessel decided to go Krabi with a cross sea, going flat stick came off a wave and buried the boat deep nose first an hour off shore. Two people drowned and the boat was lost. So much for the purported years of experience as claimed by local boat owners. Unless the boat is sporting around 21 degrees dead rise in the bow it will simply smash everyone and everything on board by leaping waves. Your assessment is spot on and the fact is, these dimwits are not and never will be, mariners. The last boat I built was a 28'8" Powercat and it handle big seas in extreme comfort. Surprised they don't use multi hulls here more and certainly way more economical to run.

I agree with you 100% I spent my adult career with Mercury Outboards, Hired by Carl K. in 1969 just out of military. I started with Stock Outboards, then Modified. Jumped to Sport J (Tunnel 99+ci, FJJ(Vbottom/twin engine 99cix2, Mod 100 Tunnels, Mod 120, ModVP, OZ and factory team, then made jump to Offshore Deep V and Power Cat, Favorite ride was with Betty Cook!! Have my own share of trophies in Dad's Garage!!

Speed in deep water is not to be played with! But for some reason here, the "Kids" want to impress the Ladies.... Don't think any of them ever got or will get Laid... using this demeanor! Also the faster you complete trips isn't going to get you increase in income... It will after boats start falling apart! Cause you to lose your job, once your Boss learns what is happening and who is causing it!

I have my share of Records, Made an excellant Income, but also knew when to back-off and retire! Of 18 on Original Factory Team in 1969, 1 of 5 still alive today! Wife, Kids and Grandkids Love it!

Again! Before there are Major Issues in this Market, Thailand needs to Stop! Take a good look at who, when and where. There are a good lot of retirees who came from this Industry in one form or another. Asking for some input, guidence, or advise would more then likely come freely.... it it helped raise these issues to a commendable Level. I think ever a Tax break for the Company that sports the best Performace in Safety and feedback from customers.

David

• Like 1

Do a search of travel insurance claims and you will find a large amount of stories centered around claims resulting from identical indents. One travels insurance companies website alone lists close to a dozen speedboat related medical claims in the feedback area, with several of these reporting broken backs as the method of injury.

And back in Canada people still don't believe me when I say DON'T GO TO PHUKET.

Do a search of travel insurance claims and you will find a large amount of stories centered around claims resulting from identical indents. One travels insurance companies website alone lists close to a dozen speedboat related medical claims in the feedback area, with several of these reporting broken backs as the method of injury.

Yet another "don't got to Phuket" post? Please don't! There are too many idiots here already! People who can't ride a motor bike, yet rent one. People who have never driven a car in Thailand, yet rent one. People who decide to go to Phi Phi on a nasty day and get injured. Yet, it must be Phuket's fault... Although I still fault the boat driver in this incident. But again, just because there is a boat going, it doesn't mean you should get on it...

• Like 2

The possibility of coming to grief at the hands of some barely sentient moron with zero training to operate the boat/car/bus/truck/motorbike he is supposed to be in control of is the most depressing thought about living here for me.

I decide on safety matters and try to weigh up the (any) situation before I commit to it. But I feel for young and naive tourists who expect common sense to apply here, I wish they would research first and not take things at face value.

Looking forward to links, can't find them.

I also went on a large flat boat a the pier lleaving for Phi Phi Island. The boat was overloaded with tourists and baggage, as we traveled to the rough waters the boat windows were moving in an in and out from the rough waters, there was also seams in the wooden boat that seemed to be pulling apart. This was a very old wooden boat the must have been painted several times. One elder man on board had heart problems and was lucky to have some a tourist aboard have some medical experance. This is Thailand, where they only care about your tourist money. I sure if I traveled to Phi Phi again this boat is still in service. I don't have to tell you about insurance in this country because it is bad. Don't get hurt here, save it for home...

a) Overloaded by 20-50%

You forgot the idiot at the helm who does not know how to trim the engines even after supposedly 20 years at sea.

Fair winds to you all

On my last trip to Koh Har the vessels came ex Krabi and it blew up so hard we had to o'night in Lanta. One idiot in a 5 x 200 HP Honda wooden vessel decided to go Krabi with a cross sea, going flat stick came off a wave and buried the boat deep nose first an hour off shore. Two people drowned and the boat was lost. So much for the purported years of experience as claimed by local boat owners. Unless the boat is sporting around 21 degrees dead rise in the bow it will simply smash everyone and everything on board by leaping waves. Your assessment is spot on and the fact is, these dimwits are not and never will be, mariners. The last boat I built was a 28'8" Powercat and it handle big seas in extreme comfort. Surprised they don't use multi hulls here more and certainly way more economical to run.

28'8" power cat that is a serious boat . they should have them here ...but they couldn't drive one .

I too have seen many bad boat drivers.

But, I have also seen many many good ones.

Some time ago I took a boat from Phuket to Phi Phi and the seas were indeed rough. But being a longtime boater myself I was impressed by the professionalism and skill of our pilot. He played the waves as well as could be done and still kept us at a good speed. Piloting in rough seas is an art form and I don't think we have enough information in this case to know if the pilot of the Australians' boat was doing the best that was possible in rough conditions or was being irresponsible. I have an open mind on this.

I completely agree.

I just took a speed boat from Ranong to Koh Prayam and back.

Same driver both times.

GREAT ride in both directions.

Would do it again ANYTIME.

45 minutes vs. 2 1/2 hours.

270 bht. vs. 120 bht.