Fishing Canals Near Temples

Backwoods

I don't think there is any legislation per se but it depends more on the temple itself.

It would be cheeky for example, to tackle up near one of those tourist temples in Thonburi where you can actually hand feed the fish with expensive bread, yet at 2 canalside temples near me in Samut Prakan the area where two temples (of my knowledge) back on to the canals are very popular fishing spots especially for the lads after those horrid bony catfish.

I'd say just ask at the temple first to be sure and you'll soon be shown a decent spot....what bait to use...what tackle to use...where to cast...how to use your reel....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I don't think there is any legislation per se but it depends more on the temple itself.

It would be cheeky for example, to tackle up near one of those tourist temples in Thonburi where you can actually hand feed the fish with expensive bread, yet at 2 canalside temples near me in Samut Prakan the area where two temples (of my knowledge) back on to the canals are very popular fishing spots especially for the lads after those horrid bony catfish.

I'd say just ask at the temple first to be sure and you'll soon be shown a decent spot....what bait to use...what tackle to use...where to cast...how to use your reel....

Thanks for replying. I do nothing but catch and release, and don't need to fish sanctuary waters, but don't want to get in trouble as well. We have several temple areas near here, and everyone I have ask so far don't know!

• 2 weeks later...

If there are no signs prohibiting capture of water creatures you can fish there. Nobody is going to get in your way, unless it is right at the temple's front door, coz that will be perceived as unacceptable someone may run their mouth at you, possibly a monk. Don't worry about it too much.