Phuket Deputy Honorary Consul: Russian Tourists Cause Most Problems, Not Expats

webfact

Phuket Deputy Honorary Consul: Russian tourists cause most problems, not expats

Phuket Gazette

ru.jpg

Santi Udomkiratak, the Russian Federation Deputy Honorary Consul to Phuket, says that Russia should not be judged based on the actions of a few individuals. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Santi Udomkiratak, 48, has been the Deputy Honorary Consul of the Russian Federation for the provinces of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga since 2008. Born and raised in Phuket, Mr Santi received a degree in mechanical engineering from King Mongkut’s University of Technology in Bangkok. Here, he gives his views on Russians in Phuket.

newsjs

Most of the problems we have to deal with are from Russian tourists, who come to Phuket because it is very cheap and they don’t need a visa to come here.

Nearly 140,000 Russians visit our island every year. They only pay about 40,000 baht to a tour company in Russia who then takes care of almost everything for them: hotel, food and transportation. Because of this, their monetary injections into the local communities is limited. However, they are still spending some money when they are here.

The problems they cause are usually centered around road accidents and fights brought about through excessive drinking.

I accept that most Russians like to drink – in fact, they drink a lot. They probably forget that it’s closer to 30 degrees Celsius in Thailand, not the below-freezing temperatures of Russia they are used to drinking in.

The Russian investors who are putting money into Phuket are not a problem for the island. They seem to be causing very few issues. There is a substantial Russian community of about 5,000 expat residents on Phuket. There is a Russian community in Sai Yuan that doesn’t cause anybody trouble. They get along very well with the locals in the area.

I fully support the government cracking down on anyone who is working illegally in Phuket. Tourists cannot work, and those doing so must be dealt with properly.

However, the recent issue between local taxi drivers and Russian tour counters (story here) seems to be a little skewed, as these companies hire Thai staff and use raw materials from Thailand, so not all of the financial gains being made are going to Russians.

In reality, the tension between local taxi drivers and Russians in the Bang Tao area has been there for a long time, and has been brought up at Phuket consul meetings many times. Nonetheless, we’ve yet to find a permanent solution.

Cultural differences may be responsible for some of the tensions between Thais and Russians. For Russians it might not be as easy to smile or be friendly as it is for Thais.

In any case, the situation in Phuket is better than in Pattaya. We are free from Russian mafia here – they aren’t collecting protection money here as they do over there.

– This article first appeared in the February 9-15 print version of the Phuket Gazette.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...pats-20178.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-10

I know some great Russians and have had the experience of being ripped of substantially by others. As with any country and race there is good and bad. They have money and they are not afraid to travel or live away from their country. Adapting to Thailand is a challenge for anyone until they work out the nuances. Took me a few years to be sure. Good for this guy to stand up for the 'changes'.

• Like 1

Why don't Russians need a visa?when I have put millions of baht into this corrupt sh-thole and I am made to feel like a criminal when I go to renew my visa,and why has Russia got a Thai as it's hon con?

Just wondering like.

Russians still need a Visa on Arrival, ie the 30 days that most foreign nationals are granted when they fly into Thailand.

Why don't Russians need a visa?when I have put millions of baht into this corrupt sh-thole and I am made to feel like a criminal when I go to renew my visa,and why has Russia got a Thai as it's hon con?

Just wondering like.

Russians still need a Visa on Arrival, ie the 30 days that most foreign nationals are granted when they fly into Thailand.

I think the Russians get 90 days on arrival.

This guy seems to tell it like it is.

Not your typical Thai politician or head cop running at the mouth.

I'm surprised they get a visa break. I guess it's because half of Russia is in Asia???

On the other hand, I'm sort of glad because if they were under the same rules as the rest of us, it could make the immigration lines even longer.

This guy seems to tell it like it is.

Not your typical Thai politician or head cop running at the mouth.

I'm surprised they get a visa break. I guess it's because half of Russia is in Asia???

On the other hand, I'm sort of glad because if they were under the same rules as the rest of us, it could make the immigration lines even longer.

If "we" were under the same immigration rules as the Russians, then the immigration ques would be even shorter. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Just wondering like.

I think, only Brasil, Peru and South Korea are 'good' for 90 days!

Just wondering like.

Malaysia gives a 90 day stamp on arrival to many western countries, however, only 30 days for Russians.

Edited by NamKangMan

Malaysia gives a 90 day stamp on arrival to many western countries, however, only 30 days for Russians.

Instead of guessing, I used Google. Russians get only 15 days upon arrival, according to the Thai Singapore Embassy.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-on-arrival

This websites states a tourist visa is not required for Russians for a stay in Thailand up to 60 days.

http://thailand.visahq.ru/

Has anyone actually seen a Russian passport in Thailand to confirm how many days they get on arrival?

How about what the Thai Embassy Moscow says. It says 30 days. Scroll down and it lists all countries.

http://en.thaiembassymoscow.com

When does the topic change to 90 days on arrival in Malaysia, please?

I thought, it was about Russian in Thailand/Phuket?

And the post I answered was about '90 days on arrival in Thailand'

I feel lost, now!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

@ noob7

"I think, only Brasil, Peru and South Korea are 'good' for 90 days!"

I was simply posting that Malaysia also give 90 days to tourist from many western countries.

Anyway, where are most of these Russians doing there visa runs to. I've never noticed any when I have been in nearby Thai Embassies.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ noob7

"I think, only Brasil, Peru and South Korea are 'good' for 90 days!"

I was simply posting that Malaysia also give 90 days to tourist from many western countries.

Anyway, where are most of these Russians doing there visa runs to. I've never noticed any when I have been in nearby Thai Embassies.

But still only Brasil, Peru and South Korea has a 'deal' with Thailand, that their citizen will get 90 day at the border/immigration of Thailand stamped into their passports.

Malaysian, getting also only 30 IN THAILAND, not 90! But they get it at the Malay/Thai landborder, too.

Still Malaysia has nothing to do with Russians in Thailand, methinks

Edited by noob7