Would You Send You Child 50-50 Farang To Thai State School ?

scorpio

Wherever you decide to settle make sure you your wife gets registered in that region and not leaving her id registered where she comes from as it can be a problem when you want to join the local school .

You have a big decision to make.

Good luck

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the posts are really frightening. I didn't think it was that bad. Isn't it a bit exagerrated? The country seems to be working fairly well with decent doctors, nurses and pharmacists. Buildings and bridge don't collapse every two days, communication networks and electricity are running smoothly, electronic and automotive factories seems to be OK, the SET50 companies are healthy... Surely most of the thais working there come from public schools. Those schools must do something else than producing brainless morons incapable of doing anything else than futile memory exercises, right?

No I am sorry to say that what I wrote is completely true. However i accept there has to be good state schools somewhere.

Research will be the key. For the first school at 5 years of age this could be difficult to assess.

I understand for older children some schools require for the child to do test papers to see if their IQ level is good enough for entry.

We have 3 young children in my wife's family, aged 5 to 7. It is not uncommon for the childen to arrive back home about 9am as the teacher did not turn up for work. They are sent home with no phone calls to parents and have to walk about 650mtrs to the village. A lot of parents will have gone to work so the children are left to fend for themselves.

I find this unacceptable, but the villagers have said the same has been going on for years so think this is normal.

I am sure that rural village schooling is much worse than in the main towns but......

Seems that many posters are of the belief, west is best. Well I will tell you most Thai school are better than many inner city western schools. UK, learn Urdu as your first language, US get searched for guns as you enter, OZ learn the drug trade from an early age.

Of course one way or another there are better schools in the west, but you need to pay, either for the school or the up market neighborhood.

As to the if you don't know English your doomed to being a taxi driver, don't think so and anyways kids lean fast. My kids have I Pods and a computer DVDs most of it is in English. When we go to OZ they speck Thai to each other, but English to everyone else. They prefer to watch movies in English, as does the wife, rather than Thai.

Another thing to remember, you want to go to Uni in Australia or the USA you will need big bucks, not sure about the UK now, been a long time since I lived there.. Wife and brother both went to University, live in a little Issan village and those that want to sit around doing rice do. Those that want to go on further do, bring your kids up to want to do better and they will. The inter net and computers put the best schooling in the world at your finger tips. Jim

• Like 2

Some of the posts are really frightening. I didn't think it was that bad. Isn't it a bit exagerrated? The country seems to be working fairly well with decent doctors, nurses and pharmacists. Buildings and bridge don't collapse every two days, communication networks and electricity are running smoothly, electronic and automotive factories seems to be OK, the SET50 companies are healthy... Surely most of the thais working there come from public schools. Those schools must do something else than producing brainless morons incapable of doing anything else than futile memory exercises, right?

Schools aren't the only place to get smarts . . . even if you are forced to stay in classrooms for 10 hours a day in order to play the 'grades game'.

I refer you to my post in another forum.

I agree with the OP. I and my wife have the same opinion about these International Schools, especially the high end ones.

One problem with the kids' discipline is that teachers in private schools often shun correcting any misbehaviour of their pupils. The reason for that is because the students may complain to their parents, parents complain to the school, eventually parents taking their kid out of school possibly causing bad reputation for the school. The person who will be really in trouble is the teacher which caused all that "upheaval".

Of course I'm not talking for all schools, but I think a good state school or a medium priced private school will do...

Is this really the reason you choose not to send your kids to a top international school? Lack of discipline, not lack of money? I understand why some parents self justify their inability to send their kids to the best schools (im in the same boat), but i think its self defeating and utterly transparent to everyone what is going on.

I studied at international schools and have taught in Thai government schools. I don't know where people get this idea that government schools have more discipline from. The students are trained to do a lot of wai-ing and sawatdeekhrapping but even that isn't always free of ostentatious sarcasm.

Government schools have very little recourse with poorly behaved students and seem to care even less, judging by the meaningful actions of staff and management (or lack thereof).

This is not fiction : http://www.stickmanb.../reader7485.htm . I don't know if it is supposed to be apocryphal but it applies to at least 50% of the classes that I've taught (I have no doubt that it would be more if I couldn't speak Thai), from primary to lower secondary school. The children face nil or negligible consequences for behaving like that. Read it and have a think about why or how behaviour like that prevails in the vast majority of Thai state schools. Here are some key words in case you need some pointers : corporate culture, teacher morale, teacher training, management culture.

International schools on the other hand have highly paid staff who are trained to spot problems very early on and nip them in the bud. In the unlikely event that international school students found the bottle to behave like they did in that stickman submission there would be serious consequences, not least because it affects the reputation of the school and therefore the school's ability to attract more fee-payers. Quite simply, teachers and management in international schools are generally professional enough to ensure that behaviour like that couldn't even take root in the school environment. In a government school those students might not even be reported and expulsion is not practiced.

International schools also retain professionally licensed counselors for students who have real problems and need to talk confidentially.

An international school is only good if you send your kid overseas (from Thailand) afterward and they are really expensive.

My boy attend Maryvit where over 90% of the students ends up on university in Thailand. The only problem I have with that school is that they don't have a biannual program but believe me, it's a very demanding school and the students are very disciplined and polite.

If you plan to stay in Thailand forever that's the way to go.

A neighbor is a Thai doctor on Bkk/Pattaya hospital and he got all of his education in Thailand and his 2 kids also attend Maryvit.

All the Thais/expats I spoken to have almost all recommended that school.

Try Goggle Maryvit school

I counted the scions of CP group, DTAC, Tri-Petch Isuzu, two stalwart political clans, Imperial Foods, and the Sarasin family among my classmates at one time. I think they would disagree with your summary of what international schools are good for.

International schools are a good idea if you want your children to have an international perspective.

I personally believe that anyone who is worse off in Thailand for having been to an international school probably only has themselves to blame (and maybe the culpability of their parents).

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

ok, ive tried to google private schools in pattaya area. not much info. can anyone provide names of schools and prices per term ? please

I have my 3 yr old daughter at Hastins Kindergarten on SSCC Road and i am extremely impressed with it - 30k baht per term/2 terms

Useful discussion here:

• Like 1

Geekfreaklover has summed it up pretty well.

My daughter is currently in Prathom at a Thai Private School with an intensive English Programme. We are very happy with the school, and she enjoys going. It is a very middle class school, that also has a small Mattayom, but the majority og the smart kids leave at the end of Prathom and go to either The Demonstartion Schools, or a couple of the main State Schools in Bangkok. She has a few more years in Prathom, and the decision will be for us, to either a) Send her to the UK for the next step of Education or B) find a good Thai school that will give her the best opportunities. We certainly wont send her to an education mill, where they churn out sheep.

The main issue, is about finding the right school, if you can, and they are admitted than it's a goo option.

The one thing thats not been mentioned, contacts, the old school tie network, the patronage system, call it what you want, it exists.

Would you rather your child was rubbing shoulders with the children of successful people and forging bonds that last a lifetime, or going to school with Somchai the motorcyle taxi drivers kids.

I know children being offered positions in Bkk because they went to school/uni with someone who knows someone, opportunities closed to the masses.

I have Thai friends whose children are being educated overseas, America, England, Scotland and Australia spring to mind, these are not luuk kreung but Thai children.

Do you want your child to be earning 6 figures per month in Bkk or 12k per month at the Toyota factory?

ok, ive tried to google private schools in pattaya area. not much info. can anyone provide names of schools and prices per term ? please

From a Google search for govt schools

http://www.smilinginthailand.com/pattaya/education/thai-secondary-high-schools.htm

private schools search on Google

http://pattaya.angloinfo.com/af/250/pattaya-international-schools-and-schooling.html

• Like 1

I can speak from the experience of having raised three kids in Thailand and having taught at various schools in Thailand.

Location is VERY important. If you are in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chang Mai then the best way forward is to enroll your children into a good private school at elementary/primary level.

With High School, even the richest Thais understand that the best way forward is to have their kids obtain the best grades and then enter a public / government school in one of the top sets. This is where they will learn the tools to merge into Thai society.

International high schools with a pure English langauge program are for students who are looking at working overseas or have a job already in the family business. A Thai student who does not understand the Thai language and the nuances of social interaction, without the benefit of a rich family network, will usually be an outcast in the Thai job market.

I have seen this time and time again.

Millions of baht spent on a international education and the luk krung can do no better than getting a job as an English teacher.

Of course an English language university would be prefferable either here in Thailand or overseas.

So think about it. If you have the money then perhaps one of the international Asian schools may be a good idea. One that teaches English and Asian languages such as Mandarin, along with Thai lessons. Singapore international, or some such school.

But of course, much of the teaching has to be done at home. Same as anywhere in the world.

Do not even consider an Isaan government school.

The best schools are in the major cities. And the first step is to find one with an intensive Enlish program. Not difficult to find for 20k a term.

Good luck.

Edit: Just reread the first post. If you don't have a job here then don't consider it. Thai education is not as bad as Thai Visa posters like to make out. But I would never advise anyone at the age of 46 to move here without a job here or a regular income. Try to consider why the Mrs wants to move back. Maybe she finds it easier to live in Thailand, it won't be easier for you or the kids without a job.

IMHO the OP needs to do the research about bi-lingual schools. I think the OP is saying he has twin boys in govt., schools in Thailand. To move them, at 13, from a govt., school, especially it it's upcountry, to a full international school would be a lot to cope with for these kids, both academically and acceptance by the other kids.

Somehow I suspect that moving into a typical bi-lingual school might be the best compromise. In any event this type of move will need a lot of TLC and home coaching.

There's also a balancing act between what can be afforded and the benefits of these kids growing up with mum and dad around every day. At 13 kids need guidance.

To the OP, do you have skills and experiece which would be of interest to an international company operating in Thailand, especially oil and gas?

If you do, then start to explore this area, will probably take time but could be worth the hassle. I know that many international oil and gas companies have a few 'locally employed' farang staff.

Don't call the comany switchboard and ask about jobs, do thedetective work and get some names of senior staff in the relevant departments and try to talk to them direct and 'engineer' a conversation focusing on what you could specifically contribute . Even turn up and see if you can get a 5 minute face to face conversation going as a starter. Ask questions / more detective work, find the location / room no., of the senior person your focusing on and make an excuse. "I just came today to get an application form, but now I'm here I was just wondering if you have 5 minutes". Have something, a CV, work related photos you could hand over immediately.

Don't go through the HR department, often they are too detached, and just give an automatic answer 'no vacancies'.

how did you know i worked in oil and gas industry, 4 years offshore as a rig welder. i also have international certification for emergency escape and rescue firefighter, boiset, mist, s-cape training etc, though im off sick at present. and i thought that in se asia offshore its filipino/indian workers doing this type of work for lower wages.

ok back to the topic. im talking about schooling for my 3 year old daughter in pattaya area, not the 2 twin 13 yr old boys, they can continue to go to state school as they are now used to it and i cant see how it would benefit them to change now . i speak englis and my 3 yr old daughter speaks perfect englis and thai so bi langual classes isnt a problem for her i dont think as she will allways have me to teach her homework etc and she will never lose her english tongue.

still no names or prices for schools ? cheers anyway

Thai government schools are perfect for children who will spend their entire working lives within Thailand.

It teaches then unquestioning obedience and ensures they will fit into Thai society.

If you intend the kid to live and work in the Western world they're completely hopeless.

So the question you must ask yourself, where do you intend the kid to live and work?

My son is 6 and he goes to a local Thai school but he can speak fluent Thai & English.

Next term he will go to an international or bording school but just for his 123's & ABC's the local school is fine for kindergarden and year 1 or 2. He loves his local school and the teachers.

I agree with other posters here, I would not send my Son to local schools above 7 years old but under 7 they are fine.

Can your kids speak Thai as well as English?

• Like 2

how did you know i worked in oil and gas industry, 4 years offshore as a rig welder. i also have international certification for emergency escape and rescue firefighter, boiset, mist, s-cape training etc, though im off sick at present. and i thought that in se asia offshore its filipino/indian workers doing this type of work for lower wages.

Don't bother trying to get hired locally but maybe consider mid-east or Africa and commuting to Thailand on your 28/28... many others do, including some Pattaya area 'residents'. Alternatively, if the UK offshore is the best place to get work, then consider doing the Thai commute every second rotation. It may be hard being separated from family for 2 months at a time but it would mean less spent on airfares/year while you get the savings built up.

• Like 1

Thai government schools are perfect for children who will spend their entire working lives within Thailand.

It teaches then unquestioning obedience and ensures they will fit into Thai society.

If you intend the kid to live and work in the Western world they're completely hopeless.

So the question you must ask yourself, where do you intend the kid to live and work?

Pattaya by the sounds of it!

A bit harsh i know, but the OP needs to grow a backbone, grow up and clear his head for his family's sake judging from his posting history

He's getting a lot of good advice on here and previous threads.

tommo, thats a fair point and one i have thought long and hard about, would i be being selfish running away from uk to try and make a go of things in LOS , answer to that one is probably yes . but my wife as i say is really missing her 2 sons who were refused a visa to uk . so im caught between a rock and a hard place. if i was single i could make the move .

beetle juice , ( your never far away ) ok you have just dug up half of my life story regarding my relationship with my wife and my health etc. so here you go for all who need to know . yes my relationship with my wife has had its ups and downs ( who,s hasnt ? ) but now we are making a good go of things and everything seems to be working out now between us, and when she has had one of her temper tantrums ive learnt to just walk away. then there is my health problem ( liver disease ) i dont know why you have brought this to peoples notice but i dont think it would stop me from running or managing any kind of small business in thailand ( would it ? ) then you ask me about my visa status ( if you had done your homework correctly you will see that i have 400.000 in bank , married to thai wife ) then you go onto ask me what about my thai wifes PR status in uk and the answer to that is we are still waiting on it, should be through in near future.

so true semper, im also a dreamer and i dream of a life outside of uk. after years of thinking about it i am ready to make the move "if " the wife is ready. as i say im going to use my money and she can keep her money if it all goes belly up.

as you are both married surely it's 'our money' as you are in the situation together?

especially if moving back to Thailand where 'she' will get to be with 'her' twins and the rest of her family....surely she needs to take the gamble as well?

just my opinion

• Like 1

yes norrono that is true, though as i say i am quite willing to play with everything i have, provided my wife has money for back up for her and our children for their future, i am not a young man anymore and at least i can come back to uk and start again if things go belly up and only "IF " we do decide to make a move. it all depends on my wife if she wants to make this move, i have reached the point of giving it a go .

Don't get me wrong SCORPIO both I and my missus live and work in the UK, whilst my salary massively outweighs hers and we keep everything seperate as in I pay for everything and what she earns she buys her jungle food and her going out money....but if she wanted to move back to Thailand like your missus does as she missed the life or family then I would be asking her how much you got for us to move back there then?

Moving back and it not working out, to me it seems like theres only one person that will affect in your case.....

Really the topic has moved from what schools etc to you and your relationship with your wife and I think this has to be given serious thought before you can make a big decision when you get here she is at home and you are a foreign husband , to try and run or manage a business with your background( I was a offshore welder) won't be easy as the business is conducted in Thai and you can feel left out as they always know best(I tried) So think very carefully before you try.

You could try welding inspection as a job and try to get something not so far away as the UK as a welder you could try for a cswip course I think you can do that here as well as the UK and OZ.

I wish you the best of luck

• Like 1

After experiencing state school in Westminster, london, I would be scared for the life of me to send any kid there. Hopefully things have changed.

Lets see, back in state school in London our head teacher was stabbed to death. I saw a teacher give a good kicking to a student. We had a different supply science teacher every week, the funniest one was an Australian who told us to read the books we where given and to leave him alone.I think his words where I don't give a s%&t I still get paid, ha. And the gang culture.

I could go on.

Oh unhappy days, just glad to get out.

• Like 2

agreed jocko, beetlejuice has an annoying habit of bringing my past , my marriage , my visa status and money problems into a lot of my topics for some reason. been going on for some time now even though he has been told by mods to back off in the past.

yes, please keep it on topic regarding schools. thanks

• Like 1

I think you will have better luck staying in topic and getting informed opinions re schools in the Family and Children forum than in general so am moving it there.

My two cents: an important consideration is where your children will ultimately live, go to college etc. A Thai state school education will not optimally position them for being able to hold their own academically in the UK, for example.

• Like 2

My son is 6 and he goes to a local Thai school but he can speak fluent Thai & English.

Next term he will go to an international or bording school but just for his 123's & ABC's the local school is fine for kindergarden and year 1 or 2. He loves his local school and the teachers.

I agree with other posters here, I would not send my Son to local schools above 7 years old but under 7 they are fine.

Can your kids speak Thai as well as English?

What he said.

If I'm not mistaken there are some Montessori schools in Bandkok and Pattaya that teach in Thai as well.

yes norrono that is true, though as i say i am quite willing to play with everything i have, provided my wife has money for back up for her and our children for their future, i am not a young man anymore and at least i can come back to uk and start again if things go belly up and only "IF " we do decide to make a move. it all depends on my wife if she wants to make this move, i have reached the point of giving it a go .

Scorpio, you (and your wife) are the only people who know the full details, therefore you and your wife are the best judges of whether to 'give it a try'.

From your first posts who seem to be considering the whole situation very rationally, from all angles, and with great concern for all involved. Good!

And good luck which ever way you go.

• Like 2