Would You Send You Child 50-50 Farang To Thai State School ?

scorpio

Simple answer

Regardless of where i lived, i would send my kids to the best school possible that i could afford.

The above pretty much sums it up.

However, if the choice is between Thai state school or UK state school, I would stick with the UK system (unless you live in inner city Manchester/Liverpool etc).

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stepdaughter came to England aged 8 with very little English, went to a state school in London, gained 10 good GCSE's, now at college hoping to study Veterinary Medicine at Uni. I would say she is better balanced than her Thai comtempories, more mature, much better informed, more worldly wise....however you want to put it. But she is now also English, she sees her future in an English speaking country not Thailand. She loves Thailand, speaks the language, but the "nous" that she gained to operate on a social and academic level here was gained at the cost of those social interactions that you need in Thailand.

In the years ahead that is something that her Mum & I have to address when/if we move back to LOS on a more permanent basis.

Never an easy answer but I would suggest that at 3 years old you still have time to make the decision. I think the residential status of your wife is the more pressing issue.

agreed jocko, beetlejuice has an annoying habit of bringing my past , my marriage , my visa status and money problems into a lot of my topics for some reason. been going on for some time now even though he has been told by mods to back off in the past.

yes, please keep it on topic regarding schools. thanks

Details regarding your private and domestic life are what you have published on Thai visa yourself. All I have done is follow your posts, which I believe are relevant to this thread.

I always have concerns when it involves the welfare of children and to stay on topic and answer your question: Would You Send Your Child 50-50 Farang To A Thai State School? My response to you is; that is your case, no, and here are my reasons why:

The Thai Government, certain charities and other sources of voluntary contributions are given to fund Thai State schools in order to provide at least some basic education for the children of Thai families of little wealth. Taking your child out of the education system in the UK and then placing the child into a Thai school usually reserved for the poor, would not only be degrading the child’s education, but would also be putting the child at a great disadvantage and into an environment and education system that the child will find completely alien and traumatic after having been attending schools within the UK, where they speak another language and have different cultural ways of teaching. In other words you would be throwing the child straight into the deep end. This is the reason I sent my kids to International schools here in Thailand.

If for any reasons the child had difficulties adapting to the 100% Thai school and you later decide to return to the UK if all does not work out for you here for financial, health or other reasons and if your wife does not have a permanent stay visa to remain in the UK, this may cause all kinds of difficulties and result in the child being separated from the mother completely.

My advice to you at this time is, to first wait until your wife obtains a permanent stay visa or British passport in the UK, try to set yourself and family up in Thailand first, before completely throwing in the towel in the UK and once you have established an income and a secure future plan, then send the child to an International school or at least a higher grade Thai school in Thailand where the child can received a reasonable education and settle down at ease.

This is the only way I can respond to you, by using common sense suggestions. Otherwise what else would you prefer to hear?

• Like 1

thanks ,

we are waiting on the outcome on my thai wifes PR status hence my questions now, im just asking questions now at this point in order to get a clear view of things, im not jumping in blind . our childs schooling is one of the more important factors needing considered in this whole thing. though i fail to see how my child could end up being seperated from her mother completely ? our daughter was born in uk ( child born in uk cannot be seperated from mother under eea rules )

anyway as ive said in past just doing homework at this stage and trying to get an idea of what we would be paying out for schooling etc.

thanks for all your answers guys , i think we have got all the info needed now thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Don't send your child to school in Thailand if you can avoid it.

Agree if your talking about your basic government schools, and especially up country, perhaps a few exceptions.

Don't agree, if you go the route of pvt / bi-lingual schools which provide a well acceptable level of education. International even better but your kids don't have to go to international schools to get an OK education.

It is of course necessary to sort out which pvt / bi-lingual / international schools are quality oriented, and sort out the fees involved. In my research I discovered that there are private / bi-lingual schools with reasonable fees which achieve better resuts than some of the internatuional schools which cost an arm and a leg.

My Thai granddaughter is in Primary at an excellent private school, full English program costs just under 100,000Baht per year and she's also learning to read, write and speak Mandarin. Kids are strongly encouraged to talk and to discuss, excellent facilities, up to date curriculum, materials and equipment, good sporting, PE, swimming facilities, excellent good quality farang and Thai teachers who are paid well but removed quickly by the Thai owner if there are any performance problems, rooms are air-conditioned.

Our family very happy with the results.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Agree if your talking about your basic government schools, and especially up country, perhaps a few exceptions.

Don't agree, if you go the route of pvt / bi-lingual schools which provide a well acceptable level of education. International even better but your kids don't have to go to international schools to get an OK education.

It is of course necessary to sort out which pvt / bi-lingual / international schools are quality oriented, and sort out the fees involved. In my research I discovered that there are private / bi-lingual schools with reasonable fees which achieve better resuts than some of the internatuional schools which cost an arm and a leg.

My Thai granddaughter is in Primary at an excellent private school, full English program costs just under 100,000Baht per year and she's also learning to read, write and speak Mandarin. Kids are strongly encouraged to talk and to discuss, excellent facilities, up to date curriculum, materials and equipment, good sporting, PE, swimming facilities, excellent good quality farang and Thai teachers who are paid well but removed quickly by the Thai owner if there are any performance problems, rooms are air-conditioned.

Why not mention the school name and location?

• Like 1

Why not mention the school name and location?

Maybe he's keeping the location and school name secret!

Without reading the whole thread, and with best wishes to the op and family, whats up with the UK not allowing 2 visas to be issued to a mothers own kids? A govt not allowing the basic human rite of a family being kept together. Why give the mother the visa, which she would have stated she has 2 kids, and then not let them stay??...is the government run by space lizards?

That op and sorry to say is a complete f@cking joke. Way I see it is you worked hard, payed taxes, supported your country, and they spat in your face.

Id be moving my child out of the UK asap.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 2

Don't let ALL of us get carried away about how good schools are in the UK

No disrespect to anyone

I worked in a school in the UK, one of the 12 year old boys beat the head in of another 12 year old boy with a chair.

Many instances of bullying, assault every year in the school, and it wasn't considered a bad school either.

If you were in the wrong class, you got nowhere.

Without reading the whole thread, and with best wishes to the op and family, whats up with the UK not allowing 2 visas to be issued to a mothers own kids? A govt not allowing the basic human rite of a family being kept together. Why give the mother the visa, which she would have stated she has 2 kids, and then not let them stay??...is the government run by space lizards?

That op and sorry to say is a complete f@cking joke. Way I see it is you worked hard, payed taxes, supported your country, and they spat in your face.

well without going into my personal life too much , i was employed untill i fell ill..but i had worked and live continuously in uk for last say 15 years anyway...they gave my wife an eea visa ( 5 year resident stamp ) so she come to uk and had a daughter to me in uk, she left her two twin boys behind in thailand with her father to care for them , with the intention of bringing her boys over to uk at later stage, then her father died last year leaving no one to care for the 2 twins, 2 twins are now alone being past from pillar to post and no one gives a shit. ukba refused them visa,s because they say "i " a uk citizen and allways worked was not a qualified EU member rolleyes.gif hahaha , what kind of a goon would refuse 2 children a visa to be with their parents ?bah.gif i cant understand why so many other nationalities ( not saying which but you know the ones ) are allowed into uk without job but two 12 year old twins are left in thailand seperated from mother and father ( me ) to struggle with life. not relevant maybe but thats the only reason why we kind of have to go back and make a go of things in thailand, i hope it works, for the childrens sakes . wai.gif

well without going into my personal life too much , i was employed untill i fell ill..but i had worked and live continuously in uk for last say 15 years anyway...they gave my wife an eea visa ( 5 year resident stamp ) so she come to uk and had a daughter to me in uk, she left her two twin boys behind in thailand with her father to care for them , with the intention of bringing her boys over to uk at later stage, then her father died last year leaving no one to care for the 2 twins, 2 twins are now alone being past from pillar to post and no one gives a shit. ukba refused them visa,s because they say "i " a uk citizen and allways worked was not a qualified EU member rolleyes.gif hahaha , what kind of a goon would refuse 2 children a visa to be with their parents ?bah.gif i cant understand why so many other nationalities ( not saying which but you know the ones ) are allowed into uk without job but two 12 year old twins are left in thailand seperated from mother and father ( me ) to struggle with life. not relevant maybe but thats the only reason why we kind of have to go back and make a go of things in thailand, i hope it works, for the childrens sakes . wai.gif

Because you married their mother doesn't make you the kids father.

By the way, I thought that in previous topics you said you were working offshore ?

Edited by jbrain

By the way, I thought that in previous topics you said you were working offshore ?

here we go again tut tut rolleyes.gif i am their father , not biological father but i have raised them when ive been with them for last 7-8 years and i class myself as their father , i care for them the same as any father would. can you understand that ? hmmmmm. also i was working offshore ( not now due to my illness ) i do hope to work again in future, i hope i can get better, can you also understand that ?

tell you what though <deleted> is your beef w00t.gif if you want really want to know anything else about my private life just PM me for a speedy reply coffee1.gif

here we go again tut tut rolleyes.gif i am their father , not biological father but i have raised them when ive been with them for last 7-8 years and i class myself as their father , i care for them the same as any father would. can you understand that ? hmmmmm. also i was working offshore ( not now due to my illness ) i do hope to work again in future, i hope i can get better, can you also understand that ?

tell you what though <deleted> is your beef w00t.gif if you want really want to know anything else about my private life just PM me for a speedy reply coffee1.gif

You have been working in the UK for the past 15 years, but you have been working offshore fore 4 years at the same time ? post #41

You have been with your wife's biological son's, who have never been to the UK, for the past 7-8 years while you have at the same time been continiously living in the UK for the past 15 years.

You care for them as a real father, but when you go live in Thailand you intend to go live in Pattaya but will leave the boys where they are, 5 - 600 kilomter away in Isaan, as they are ok there. post #41

No I can not understand that. What I understand is that you are talking a lot of BS on this forum.

And I don't need to PM you to know anything more about your private life, since you have posted it already repeatedly on this forum under your current and previous usernames.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

^^^^^^, this is even better than those lakorn shows that come on the telly.

Heres a novel idea, send the mrs back to Thailand where she can work and take care of her kids.

So much for the much talked about Thai family welfare system we keep hearing of.

Why should the UK taxpayer pick up the tab for this?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Don't let ALL of us get carried away about how good schools are in the UK

No disrespect to anyone

Not as good as they were but the vast majority are a huge improvement on anything Thailand's state school system can offer.

At the end of the day, if you're a decent parent, you provide the best education that your resources will allow. For the OP it sounds like the UK is the best option currently.

ํํYou might be able to appeal the UKBA's decision because it says in their own guidelines regarding immigration that if there is any doubt or lack of clarity regarding legitimacy (of a child) the UKBA will defer to the laws regarding legitimacy in the country of birth, which means they will refer to the laws of Thailand regarding legitimacy, which means that you are the father because you married the mother.

• Like 1

ํํYou might be able to appeal the UKBA's decision because it says in their own guidelines regarding immigration that if there is any doubt or lack of clarity regarding legitimacy (of a child) the UKBA will defer to the laws regarding legitimacy in the country of birth, which means they will refer to the laws of Thailand regarding legitimacy, which means that you are the father because you married the mother.

So according Thai law as you say , if you marry a Thai lady who has been married previously and had children with her previous husband, you become their father when you marry her after her divorce ?

Then why do foreigners have to jump through hoops to adopt the children their current Thai wife has from previous marriages?

jbrain less tongue.png lets be very clear about this since you have a major problem understanding, listen carefully ok first off i have stayed with our twin boys since they have been say 5 years of age, if not their biological father then i class myself as their father figure, i care for them kids the same as my own. can you understand that rolleyes.gif secondly , i have never said i will leave them in isaan to continue life without them in pattaya with my wife and daughter. i did say i would leave them to continue state schooling as they are too old now for a private school to benefit them and are well used to state school allready. thirdly just because i have worked offshore in say danish waters it doesnt take away the fact that i am still an eu member or a uk resident / citizen excercising my eu treaty rights tongue.png also i still continue to excercise my treaty rights even though say if i leave the uk to go on holidays 3-4 -5 times a year .biggrin.png

so ? stay on topic please, its you who is talking a load of balls on this forum from the comfort of your armchair as your reply has proven. you hover around my posts like a bad smell , complete slandering and flaming and your replies are of no importance to me or anyone else.coffee1.gif

Edited by scorpio

Might I remind you ALL of the forum rules please - specifically rule 4. If you're not willing to abide by it I'm quite happy to give you a few days off smile.png

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

So according Thai law as you say , if you marry a Thai lady who has been married previously and had children with her previous husband, you become their father when you marry her after her divorce ?

Then why do foreigners have to jump through hoops to adopt the children their current Thai wife has from previous marriages?

Sorry, I stand corrected; automatic paternity rights for the husband only apply if the child is born in a marriage regardless of who the biological father is.

Farangs can still file for paternity in a family court though. A Thai lawyer could do it all for a fee that shouldn't hurt as it is pretty much just paper-pushing.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=23683

Scorpio, I'd look into getting a family court to declare that you are the legal father of those twins. The UKBA won't be able to argue with that. That should solve a few problems shouldn't it? Good luck. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

just a question at this point. my wife wants to return to thailand ( she is missing her 2 sons who are still there, uk government refused them theyre visa,s ) anyway we both have a 3 year old daughter and obviously she will need to go to school in thailand. i have listened to some thai people and have got mixed views on thai state schools , some say they are ok and others say they are really bad. what are your views on them and do any of you send your 50-50 thai/farang children to thai state school , and if so what are your expiriences of this ?

i have looked into this before and it seems that even the standard kindergarden school fees are around 60,000 baht per term . thats a lot of money to us to pay out considering we will have rent /overheads to pay out each month, visa fees etc etc etc. we will also need to open some type of business "IF" we do make the move so that is going to cost us money each month if it doesnt do well.

as i say its only a question at this point, im not jumping in to anything again without doing my homework as ive lost too much money in the past being impulsive. we are not wealthy and i would hate to make the move only to end up coming home to uk broke after a few years.

what are your thoughts, one half of me is telling me to use our money in thailand for holidays and send some to support our twin boys in isaan ( they are 13 years old now ) and the other half of me is telling me to take a chance , gamble my money and try to make it work ( im 46 years old ) and at least if everything goes tits up i will come back to uk and start again , making sure my wife and child have enough money for themselves and will not be struggling.

Don't be daft, keep your kid in the uk.

• Like 1

just a question at this point. my wife wants to return to thailand ( she is missing her 2 sons who are still there, uk government refused them theyre visa,s ) anyway we both have a 3 year old daughter and obviously she will need to go to school in thailand. i have listened to some thai people and have got mixed views on thai state schools , some say they are ok and others say they are really bad. what are your views on them and do any of you send your 50-50 thai/farang children to thai state school , and if so what are your expiriences of this ?

i have looked into this before and it seems that even the standard kindergarden school fees are around 60,000 baht per term . thats a lot of money to us to pay out considering we will have rent /overheads to pay out each month, visa fees etc etc etc. we will also need to open some type of business "IF" we do make the move so that is going to cost us money each month if it doesnt do well.

as i say its only a question at this point, im not jumping in to anything again without doing my homework as ive lost too much money in the past being impulsive. we are not wealthy and i would hate to make the move only to end up coming home to uk broke after a few years.

what are your thoughts, one half of me is telling me to use our money in thailand for holidays and send some to support our twin boys in isaan ( they are 13 years old now ) and the other half of me is telling me to take a chance , gamble my money and try to make it work ( im 46 years old ) and at least if everything goes tits up i will come back to uk and start again , making sure my wife and child have enough money for themselves and will not be struggling.

Don't be daft, keep your kid in the uk.

maybe after reading a few replies here on tv i think that would be the safest bet. thanks wai.gif and thanks a lot to all those who gave me valuable info , much appreciated thumbsup.gif

From experience - in Thailand - private schooling is the way to go with maybe the final two "finishing years" completed overseas eg: at a private school in Singapore. .State schools were always intended for people with no means who needed just the basics in reading & writing. To suddenly expect these state schools to offer top quality education at budget prices seems unreasonable.