Chiang Mai Farangs - In Perspective

CMHomeboy78

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know more about the farangs especially those involved in the Borneo Co. apparently one of my relatives a David Fleming Macfie ( McFie) arrived in Siam around 1860 or so, he married so I understand a hand maiden of the Princess in 1913 , they had 4 or more children I have found some in the Chiang Mai Foreign cemetery but this only fives me dates nothing about their life and time in Siam ...... which I would find more interesting ...

so If you are to continue your story I would be very interested in following your postings

thank you

Douglas Macfie, Calgary Alberta Canada

3 of the children's graves are next to their parents' headstones. I believe they were sent abroad at a young age and returned when they were old. There's a book that can be bought at the cemetery that lists the headstones and as much as can be remembered about their lives in Chiang Mai. Major Roy Hudson I believe is the author.

Thank you very much ,, I had found the names in the cemetery that is where I finally got some dates as my original family information only had David's name and his birth date, so the cemetery information was a real help

I will see if I can get a hold of this book you metion

• 1 year later...

Picking this thread up again ......

I am interested in the northern escape stories of those caught up in the Japanese invasion of December 1941.

I have found accounts of 3 American Presbyterian missionary groups and a few of the Teak Wallahs but am still trying to find out who was in my mother's escape party of 10 women and 10 children led out by Frank Burden of British American Tobacco. As the story goes my mother was the only child to survive. She had just turned 5 before the bombing of Pearl Harbour. Her father, Evelyn van Millingen was with the Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation.

Anyone got any stories of those who escaped front he north of Siam in December 1941? Would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Thanks cmsally. I have seen this thesis and met the author when I was in Chaing Mai last year. Out of interest who was your friends grandmother (do private e-mail me if better at *email removed*? I wonder if their name crops up in the searches I have done.

On another note, are you aware of a copy of the 1940/41 Siam Directory that is readily accessible? Looks as if there is one in the Bodleian library, Oxford.

Archived