Keeping Things In Perspective.

villagefarang

No snow or blizzards, no tornados, no major earthquakes, no volcanos, no dust storms, no tsunamis, no mega-floods like Bangkok, no wars, no famine, no gang violence, and the list goes on. Yes, we have to deal with a little smoke most years but as far as I am concerned, it could be a whole lot worse. Then again maybe I am just a bit peculiar and don’t have enough outrage in my bones.

Life is good as far as I am concerned, here in the Rai.smile.png

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey VF ... one thing I hear being complained up your way (Chiang Mai specificially) is the increasing population of Falangs, white skinned non-thai ... call us what you wish.

What is it like in 'the Rai' in respect to that aspect?

All the other aspects sound great ... do you have a spare room for a few nights ... I promise a 'Trip Report' ... w00t.gif

Just so it stays a nice positive OP ... what do you consider the advantages of living in the Rai as opposed to the Mai.

• Like 1

A major advantage for me, living in the Rai, is that I am surrounded by a wonderful outdoor playground easily accessed from my front door. All that, and yet no shortage of modern conveniences to speak of. I even enjoy our 50 kilometer drive to town which we seem to do three or four times each week.

I love Chiang Rai, its great but enjoying driving here? Always feel I am inches from death on the highway, even in town at slower speeds it can feel the same, someone will change direction suddenly and not even think about looking behind. Not really a disadvantage of the Rai, more Thailand in general though.

A major advantage for me, living in the Rai, is that I am surrounded by a wonderful outdoor playground easily accessed from my front door. All that, and yet no shortage of modern conveniences to speak of. I even enjoy our 50 kilometer drive to town which we seem to do three or four times each week.

I love Chiang Rai, its great but enjoying driving here? Always feel I am inches from death on the highway, even in town at slower speeds it can feel the same, someone will change direction suddenly and not even think about looking behind. Not really a disadvantage of the Rai, more Thailand in general though.

Compared to driving in Bangkok this is a breeze. I find it easy but everything is relative, so it no doubt depends on what you are comparing it to.

Besides, we have a few different routes we can take to town which helps to break the monotony of commuting.

I think the moaning about the smoke has been fairly low key this year.

Some would still find it unpleasant, I just pick my nose a bit more which others find unpleasant, but it's a good time time of the year to head away for a few weeks, back to Farangistan to bring joy to the hearts of ones family or just a beach in a less smoky part of the globe.

• Like 1

I think the moaning about the smoke has been fairly low key this year.

Some would still find it unpleasant, I just pick my nose a bit more which others find unpleasant, but it's a good time time of the year to head away for a few weeks, back to Farangistan to bring joy to the hearts of ones family or just a beach in a less smoky part of the globe.

It works out ok for me as i am a big usa college basketball fan and i love the annual MARCH MADNESS tournament that lasts for about three weeks....a very good time for me to leave CR and go back to the usa and watch the games...plus it is springtime where i go then and very pleasant indeed.

There you go Pomchop, for some reason I thought you were English.... cool.pnglaugh.png

Without getting too deeply into the quaint rituals of our American cousins the obsession with educational institution sports in the US has always bemused me.

In my high school/college football days in Australia... real football... (AFL)... we rarely saw a spectator. smile.png

Edited by sceadugenga

There you go Pomchop, for some reason I thought you were English.... cool.pnglaugh.png

Without getting too deeply into the quaint rituals of our American cousins the obsession with educational institution sports in the US has always bemused me.

In my high school/college football days in Australia... real football... (AFL)... we rarely saw a spectator. smile.png

I still like american college football and basketball better than watching the multimillionaire pros play....only a very small percent of college players will ever make the pros/big bucks so they actually play for the FUN of the game....March Madness is a three week basketball tourney involving about 65 teams in single elimination....always tons of upsets and some of the "can't lose" big program names/teams get beat by little semi obscure colleges...no second chances...one loss and you are GONE...or win 7 games in a row and you are the national champs....to me much more exciting cause a no name school with no name players who have a good game can knock out a big name who has a bad game or gets cocky....

Pom Chop came from my early Thailand days and was supposed to be " I Like"....more accurate would have been Pom CHAWP....but i guess the Pom makes people think i am a BRIT.......

• Like 1

Chiang Rai was my last port of call as in vacation while I lived in Thailand, I spend at least one night in every province of Thailand, and I can say I ll like to go back to Thailand and live in Chiang rai when I get much older.

To the big old fella, (Dutch I think) That owns the restuarant opposite the liquor shop, I hope you still going very strong.

I love Chiang rai like I loved samui late nineties.

MegaRanter

Yes Chiang Rai is a beautiful province but many things change as the years go bye . Chiang Rai City is no longer the sleepy village it used to be , now it is growing a very fast pace with tons of construction , more and more people coming to live here , lots of traffic , yet still not as bad as some of the other major cities but it wont be long before congestion clogs up the place. I regard here as the jewel of Thailand that is no longer secret but I hope all that come here can live quietly and peacefully as most of us do and live out out days in our little bit of heaven - ( in the unreligious sence of staying somewhere tranquil and serene and has no regard to upsetting any religious believers of other faiths )tongue.png

If you wish to discuss why any of your posts may have been removed, please pm the moderator/admin directly, as per forum rule:

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.Members should not block contact with moderators or administrators. Doing so will result in suspension.

As the OP I would like to reiterate my intent to keep things in perspective. Chiang Rai is a wonderful place to live. smile.png

“No snow or blizzards, no tornados, no major earthquakes, no volcanos, no dust storms, no tsunamis, no mega-floods like Bangkok, no wars, no famine, no gang violence, and the list goes on. Yes, we have to deal with a little smoke most years but as far as I am concerned, it could be a whole lot worse.”

It just seems to me any problems we have pale into insignificance when compared to situations elsewhere.smile.png

yes its real football , not padding like girls...

• 2 weeks later...

We suffered some broken branches and a few leaks with the rain coming in horizontally but it could have been much worse. I managed to save four puppies when their little earthen den flooded. Things are pretty much cleaned up now so, no harm no foul.

To further keep things in perspective the plants will grow new branches, crops have received much needed water and the sky has been cleansed once again. The trails will no longer be so dusty. Things are looking up.smile.png

I was going to make an early start to MaeSai and end up at Chiang Khong for lunch but I think I will leave it for another day.

Good move staying home today. Besides we are of an age where it is okay to change our minds from time to time. Great day to stay in, stay dry and annoy people on the internet.thumbsup.gif

• 3 months later...