What Is This Spider And Is It Dangerous?

How big are these normally?

The ones here get up to around 15 cm. Mine was 10-11 cm. Then there's these. biggrin.png //edit - I'm referring to length across the legs not body size.

Heteropoda Maxima - The Largest Huntsman in the World

The Heteropoda Maxima in Laos, normally identified to be between 9 and 11.5 inches across, specimens have recently (December 2008) been found to exceed a foot in diameter!

Source

Scariest Spider in this Family: Giant Huntsman Spider (Heteropoda maxima)

Size: Over 4.6cm in body length and has a 25-30cm leg span

Scary Details: This spider has the widest leg span in the world which is enough to give anyone the creeps. While human encounters do occur, these spiders aren’t necessarily aggressive unless you disturb their nest or are considered a threat. They also give you a warning before biting.

Source

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We get them in the house every once in a while. They don't last long. After a day or two they have a leg or two missing. After another day or two,they disappear. I'm not sure if it is the Jing Joks or the well hidden Took Gaes that are eating them. When I say well hidden Took Gaes,I mean that my wife sees them, she catches them and throws them out of the house. (kee mak mak).

I'm here to learn you how to use the bumgun.
I found one at least that big on the wall over my toilet in Melbourne once. I usually ignored them, but my mother couldn't have used the toilet if it was there, so I knocked it in and flushed it.

Generally, the threat posed by spiders is minimal, even from big ones. Snakes are much more dangerous.

I found one at least that big on the wall over my toilet in Melbourne once. I usually ignored them, but my mother couldn't have used the toilet if it was there, so I knocked it in and flushed it.

Generally, the threat posed by spiders is minimal, even from big ones. Snakes are much more dangerous.

Well, snakes are less creepy than spiders.......................

And about this one in Australia, which I found in Thailand as well!

Well, snakes are less creepy than spiders.......................

And about this one in Australia, which I found in Thailand as well!

They are different as it says in Wikipedia: Note: "funnel weaver" is the official common name of the family and is not to be confused with the "funnel-web tarantulas" or "funnel-web spiders" of the families Hexathelidae or Dipluridae, both of which are members of the suborder Mygalomorphae.[1] The family Hexathelidae includes the infamous Sydney funnel-web spider.

Sydney Funnel-webs can kill you but haven't since 1981 when the anti venom was invented. I found one in my bed once when I was about 8. My mother killed it.

Yes, spiders are creepy. I can't touch them. But a lot more people are killed by snakes. About 5 a year in Australia and about 50,000 in India.

Huntsmen are pretty harmless and not aggressive but they can bite. Yhey have a flatter look than wolf spiders which are much more aggressive and can give a nast bite with the possibility of complications. They are sometimes confused for each other. Most huntsmen seem to be a drad greyish colour but we have a rather pretty red spotted huntsman that is associated with jarrah trees here in SW Australia. This one is pretty cute and I am very wary of spiders but quite like saying hello when I look in the post box where it has taken up residency.

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1393890653&k=xxJ5BWx

A typical grey type huntsman

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1383356074&k=JgsP7KX

This wolf spider is another matter

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1354691693&k=JSGpPwQ

The ones here get up to around 15 cm. Mine was 10-11 cm. Then there's these. biggrin.png //edit - I'm referring to length across the legs not body size.

Heteropoda Maxima - The Largest Huntsman in the World

The Heteropoda Maxima in Laos, normally identified to be between 9 and 11.5 inches across, specimens have recently (December 2008) been found to exceed a foot in diameter!

Source

Scariest Spider in this Family: Giant Huntsman Spider (Heteropoda maxima)

Size: Over 4.6cm in body length and has a 25-30cm leg span

Scary Details: This spider has the widest leg span in the world which is enough to give anyone the creeps. While human encounters do occur, these spiders aren’t necessarily aggressive unless you disturb their nest or are considered a threat. They also give you a warning before biting.

Source

A warning!! Like, "make my day punk"

There is one main difference between a snake and a spider.

A snake will nearly always try and get away from you as quickly as possible should one stray into your space - in itself a rare occurrence..

Spiders don't as a rule. I've had 5 horrific experiences here with spiders - the worst was waking up with a huge beastie right next to my face in Samui and my efforts to shoo it away only seemed to make it want to run all over me.

Gave the wife and the hotel staff a good laugh though.

In fact the problem is one has to check always cloths and hide-outs, but who is doing that? Once I found by coincidence a hide-out of a young flying tree snake in the scullery which could have been a Cobra................. blink.png

I remember that we used to fill old round cigarette-tins topped-up with petroleum in West New Guinea to put the legs of our tampats (field-bed) in to avoid to get surprised by uninvited "bed-guests". bah.gif

Edited by mistitikimikis
  • Like 1

At the end I prefer a huntsman-bite than your centipede! This is one of the creepy crawlers I'm really afraid for! This was my first meeting with him.

I met one recently as well. It was in the carpark outside Annie's Massage between Sukh sois 2 and 4. The security guard saw me taking a photo so came over and smashed it's head with a stick. I was happy to leave it alone.

Huntsmen are pretty harmless and not aggressive but they can bite. Yhey have a flatter look than wolf spiders which are much more aggressive and can give a nast bite with the possibility of complications. They are sometimes confused for each other. Most huntsmen seem to be a drad greyish colour but we have a rather pretty red spotted huntsman that is associated with jarrah trees here in SW Australia. This one is pretty cute and I am very wary of spiders but quite like saying hello when I look in the post box where it has taken up residency.

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1393890653&k=xxJ5BWx

A typical grey type huntsman

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1383356074&k=JgsP7KX

This wolf spider is another matter

http://stevekeeling.smugmug.com/Nature/Macro-moments/16705468_NjRpKS#!i=1354691693&k=JSGpPwQ

That has me wanting to Baygon my laptop.