What Is This Spider And Is It Dangerous?

"to Baygon my laptop" against??? They help you already to get rid of Cockroaches, so when I have the choice............. biggrin.png

By the way I never see centipedes in he garden / house, might be my garden-guests (and sometimes house-guests), the Common Indian Toad, Common Asiatic Toad, Common Asian Toad, Black-spined Toad (Duttaphrynus melanostictus) are delighted to help me to get rid of them!

To say there are no 'dangerous' spiders in Thailand is somewhat misleading, especially if you react to the bite.

There are several species of spider in Thailand capable of delivering a potentially fatal dose of venom if you were one of them wheezy kids who used to hide behind Matron on Sports Day and are susceptible to Anaphylaxis.

To say there are no 'dangerous' spiders in Thailand is somewhat misleading, especially if you react to the bite.

There are several species of spider in Thailand capable of delivering a potentially fatal dose of venom if you were one of them wheezy kids who used to hide behind Matron on Sports Day and are susceptible to Anaphylaxis.

No. Tarantulas never killed a human, Widows only in the US and Australia. Last case was 30 years ago. The Australian spiders like Redbacks don't exist here. Thailands Tarantulas make good pets, especially in nice colours like Cobalt Tarantulas.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 6/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, Skeptic7 said:

The legspan of The Huntsman here in Thailand can be up to 13-15 cm (5+ in). Quite large and very fast. 

The first time I came across a Huntsman (immediately above the loo, whilst on a holiday here), I was terrified and it kept me out of the bathroom all night ????!

Nowadays I see them as 'friends' that hopefully get rid of the even more unwanted insects.  Having said this, I'm still a bit frightened by spiders, and shoo them further away when I want to use the loo!

Incidentally, thanks Skeptic for bringing back some of these old threads that are still interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

The first time I came across a Huntsman (immediately above the loo, whilst on a holiday here), I was terrified and it kept me out of the bathroom all night ????!

Nowadays I see them as 'friends' that hopefully get rid of the even more unwanted insects.  Having said this, I'm still a bit frightened by spiders, and shoo them further away when I want to use the loo!

Incidentally, thanks Skeptic for bringing back some of these old threads that are still interesting.

I hear ya about those Huntsman! ????

Been in Thailand a long time, but was not privy to Thaivisa until just 5 years ago. Stumbling on some older threads, which are not only new to me but interesting as well. Birds Bugs Butterflies Bats and all critters are my fave topics...followed by the religion/god threads! ????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I also hear ye about the huntsman, when I first came to Thailand I was terrified of all spiders and the huntsman can be big mothers...then one day right after we had moved in we were sittin' on the floor at our house and one came skittering closeby and I fairly screamed and then a country type sister in law calmly picked it up barehanded and tossed it out the door, then she sat back down and grinned at me sorta like to say 'you are so cute!'...since then I've become gradually unafraid and even consider them to be friendly and useful for eating other pests...sometimes I'll find one in the loo and then we'll have a one sided conversation while I'm sittin' on the throne...they are often missing a leg 'what happened to the leg, pardner? the missus try to eat ye fer breakfast?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes...see Huntsman frequently with missing legs. They actually can self-amputate (drop legs) as a defense mechanism to escape predators. They can also lose them mating and hunting. Must be some wild sex!

Good news for them is they regenerate lost legs after each molt. Of course the older they are, the less molts they have left...so best if legs lost in early and mid stages of their 2 year average lifespan. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1