Chalerm: Not A Bribe If Cops Ask For Money On Chinese New Year

webfact

Deputy PM: Not a bribe if cops ask for money on Chinese New Year

By Conor Salcetti

chalerm.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, responding to recent security cam footage of three police officers “requesting” money from an Indian tailor shop owner, claimed that said behavior was acceptable during the Chinese New Year as it constituted religious tradition and was not merely an act of bribery.

newsjs

While the Deputy PM admitted that it was not appropriate for police officers to make this type of request of an Indian (who presumably was not celebrating the holiday), he did not foresee a need to change existing regulations on the issue. [more..]

Source: http://www.coconutsb...inese-new-year/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2013-02-12

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the deputy prime minister says its ok ..so it will be also fine for Thai new year , Farang new year no ? This is the most ridiculous comment I ever seen in 20 years I am in Thailand . In fact he just says that its normal for police to ask for bribes.

Adjust that to .....normal and OK.....

Deputy PM defending birbery??? PMs brother is a wanted fugitive??? Is this really the administration the Thai people want ruling their country?

Apparently the answer to that question is "yes".

Edited by ovenman
  • Like 2

They called it ang pao because it's Cihinese NY. If it was Songkran they'd have called it a Songkran donation. They can call it what they like but they're fishing for the same thing every week when they walk through that door.

I'd love to ask Mr Chalerm whether he thought this was the first time these particular officers had ever been in that particular store. But what's the use - he'd only be kidding himself when he answered.

Haven't the officers been suspended, or some such thing pending an investigation?

Why is Chalem commenting at all, he should waited until the investigation was completed and the officers cleared, of course.

I guess the officers will now claim some more money for having been wrongfully suspended.

I also wonder if Chalem actually did something like asking the shop owner if it was the first time or if he had paid previously before commenting.

I do hope the shop owner has been given a few baht to keep quiet.

• Like 1

I'm wondering.....Does Chalerm say something like this assuming that the public is stupid enough to believe him because he has some authoritative ranking and he's pulling a power trip....or......is it something he really believes???

either way, there have been some real boneheaded politicians accross the globe that have said some ridiculous things in the past...but the consistancy that this schmuck exhibits in what pours out of his mouth is beyond belief

• Like 1

police asking for and or taking bribes is a tradition world wide , why should we expect the los to be any different .

Taking bribes are carried out in various ways --the way here seems to be -money taken is for the pocket -not for the inland revenue. (and this is or should be the only direct way anyone should have to pay)

just a warm up for the ptp and their hopeful bangkok governor, wonder how much he will ask for being a good policeman type. These idiots are a joke, do they really expect everyone to believe that they are legally able to ask for bribes, oh, thats right, this is Thailand, they can here because the average thai thinks bribery is good for them.

• Like 2

This is great !!!!!! I am going to put this one on the top of my list of all time moronic

Chalerm statements...... I know in the past I have called for his removal from office

due to him making Thailand look ridiculous on an ongoing basis. But now I have

changed my mind. If he can make statements like this one regarding corruption, I say keep him on for comedic value.clap2.gif

Side note: perhaps time to back off a bit on the ear medicine gauging from the photo in the op.

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1