Not Painful But Full Feeling Under Right Rib............ Any Tips

thequietman

hi guys,

This is the second time this has happened. Its a dull uncomfortable feeling under the right rib. Last time I had it (about 4 months ago) I googled it and got IBS. So started to swim, just ate chicken and rice. no beer or coffee and it went away. I haven't exercised for a month now and I,m eating some spicy food and its back.

Read on internet it may be a fatty liver. So a litle worried. I am over weight (no doubt) need to lose at least 2 stone.

I need to go see a doctor but My faith in them here is littl,e to say the least.

Anybody else had this issue with a dull uncomfortable pressure under the right side of rib cage ??

Any advice is greatly appreciated. wai.gif

This could be any number of things, it is not possible to determine just from the description. Nor will an internet search do you much good.

It could be gastritis. I had chronic gastritis a year back and before it became severe enough to be obvious and get me to have it worked up, it began as a dull ache right under the right rib.

It could also be muscle strain.

Or a mass.

Or a gallbladder issue (though that pain is more often cramping in nature).

Or almost anything.

Obese people almost always have some degree of fatty liver but that will not usually cause pain.

If it persists, see a doctor. That's all anyone can advise. And, of course, avoid whatever foods seem to set it off.

From the sounds of it a complete physical check up may be overdue. Many such packages include ultrasounds of the abdomen, which will visualize your liver and rule out any masses. You can also usually add on an endoscopy (upper = would identify gastritis and also rule out any mass in the stomach or duodenum; lower = would rule out a mass in the colon) ) at a reduced cost of doing a check up package.

Probably not worth doing an endoscopy if the pain is mild and goes away when you avoid specific foods. but if it persists or worsens, and no other obvious cause is found, would be a good idea.

Be sure the physical checks for occult blood in the stool, if there is any (or if you are anemic) then a lower endoscopy if indicated. Actually if you are 55 or over, it is recommended every 10 years or so anyhow.

If your liver was inflammated or its function impaired there would be other signs.

I had the same thing and thought that it was liver problems due to the amout of medicine, all with side affects of liver problems, that I was taking after a hip transplant. Went to the doc and he said that it was tendonitis and prescribed medicine and went away after a few days. It also made the extreme pain in my knee go away, complication of the hip surgery, and another whole story! Stopped taking the meds and the pain in my side never came back, but the knee problem is back.

This could be any number of things, it is not possible to determine just from the description. Nor will an internet search do you much good.

It could be gastritis. I had chronic gastritis a year back and before it became severe enough to be obvious and get me to have it worked up, it began as a dull ache right under the right rib.

It could also be muscle strain.

Or a mass.

Or a gallbladder issue (though that pain is more often cramping in nature).

Or almost anything.

Obese people almost always have some degree of fatty liver but that will not usually cause pain.

If it persists, see a doctor. That's all anyone can advise. And, of course, avoid whatever foods seem to set it off.

From the sounds of it a complete physical check up may be overdue. Many such packages include ultrasounds of the abdomen, which will visualize your liver and rule out any masses. You can also usually add on an endoscopy (upper = would identify gastritis and also rule out any mass in the stomach or duodenum; lower = would rule out a mass in the colon) ) at a reduced cost of doing a check up package.

Probably not worth doing an endoscopy if the pain is mild and goes away when you avoid specific foods. but if it persists or worsens, and no other obvious cause is found, would be a good idea.

Be sure the physical checks for occult blood in the stool, if there is any (or if you are anemic) then a lower endoscopy if indicated. Actually if you are 55 or over, it is recommended every 10 years or so anyhow.

If your liver was inflammated or its function impaired there would be other signs.

hi, thanks for that.

No pain just discomfort on the ribs. I did have a fall off my bike 2 years ago and hurt this area. I am 43 but don't drink a lot. I have had 2 bottles of beer and 1 glass of wine since boxing day, so not a lot. I do sleep on my right side. I am a bit of a worrier. I am over weight for sure by about 2 stone. When I had this before about 2 months back, I started to walk and swim and eat better and it went away but maybe then it was just tender ribs also. I have no other symtoms apart from this. appetite fine, regular bowel movements, no yellowing of eyes, just worrying.

It makes sense to just go get a full checkup to allay fears. I don't smoke.

Thanks for the advice.

Agree with the learned usual suspects, it could be anything....but pass on my experience of my very heavy drinking days when my liver swelled and felt somewhat like what you describe, an uncomfortable compressed feeling under the lower right ribs.

Before you worry too much in my case I got away with it (well liver did, brain never quite right). The swelling went away and many years later I have only a "mildly fatty liver" on the ultrasound with no call for any further action (I don't hardly drink now).

Obviously get a full check up.

(sorry just noticed your last post probably makes mine redundant).

Edited by cheeryble

Agree with the learned usual suspects, it could be anything....but pass on my experience of my very heavy drinking days when my liver swelled and felt somewhat like what you describe, an uncomfortable compressed feeling under the lower right ribs.

Before you worry too much in my case I got away with it (well liver did, brain never quite right). The swelling went away and many years later I have only a "mildly fatty liver" on the ultrasound with no call for any further action (I don't hardly drink now).

Obviously get a full check up.

(sorry just noticed your last post probably makes mine redundant).

Did the check up yesterday. Doc pushed and pulled and pressed. Did an xray. He said everything is fine. The feeling is still there. He says my liver is normal size. Can't help thinkin my body creates this because I worry. Have anti inflammatories and will use for a week. hopefully the little twinge will be gone.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. wai.gif

It does not sound at all like gallstones to me. that is usually a cramping pain and more severe.

I think the more likely differential, especially now that he has had a negative check up, is: gastritis, muscle strain, or (less likely) intestinal mass. The latter would not show on Xray but if an ultrasound was done and found nothing, it's unlikely.

Gastritis will not show up except on endoscopy. Another approach is to see if taking a PPI (Miracid etc) for a week or two relieves it. And if the anti-inflammatories make it worse, then gastritis is very likely. If on the contrary they bring relief, muscle strain could be it.

Did your physical include a stool test for occult blood ?