Gasohol Takes Over In Phuket

webfact

Gasohol takes over in Phuket

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1360668705_1.jpg

A motorcyclist fills up with the new fuel.

PHUKET: -- Stocks of 91-octane gasoline on Phuket are rapidly disappearing as filling stations around the island comply with government policy to phase out pure gasoline 91 and replace it with gasohol – a mixture of gasoline with ethylene produced from vegetable matter.

newsjs

An official with the Phuket Energy Office told The Phuket News, “Phuket has already stopped receiving supplies of gasoline 91.”

Some places may still be able to supply gasoline 91, she explained, but only until their existing stocks run out. Three types of gasohol are already available. These are E10 (a 90 per cent-10 per cent gasoline-ethanol mix), sold as gasohol 95 or gasohol 91; E20, an 80-20 gasoline-ethanol mix; and E85, which contains just 15 per cent gasoline and 85 per cent ethanol

The Phuket Energy Office has lined up students to adjust or convert vehicles that are not able to handle the gasohol fuel. Vehicle owners must pay for any conversion equipment installed, but tuning and fitting will be done free at Phuket College of Technology up until April 24.

Owners of such vehicles must bring along ID card/passport and driver’s licence and a copy of the vehicle registration document. The students will carry out four adjustments: tuning the engine to handle E10, cleaning the carburetor, changing the engine oil and changing the oil filter. Any parts such as new jets must be paid for by the owner.

In general, cars manufactured after 1995 should be able to handle gasohol 91 and 95; cars made after 2008, and eco-cars, should be able to run on E20 gasohol, while Flex Fuel Vehicles (FFVs) should be able to run on E85 gasohol.

Motorbikes with four-stroke engines manufactured in 2000 or after should run on gasohol 91 and 95; and four-stroke motorbikes made in 2009 or after should run well on E20 gasohol.

Farm vehicles with four-stroke engines should run fine on gasohol 91 or 95.

Source: http://www.thephuket...huket-36995.php

-- The Phuket News 2013-02-13

Well, it's supposed to have a higher octane rating and all turbo and highly tuned cars use e85 for more power, but for whatever reason the e85 in Thailand is only 95 octane according to http://www.eppo.go.th/retail_prices.html Otherwise I'd get the ecu tuned and get a flex fuel system installed for e85 as in mosts parts of the world e85 is around 105 octane from what I've read the past year.

Anyone have an idea how much (approximately) costs to upgrade benzine only old motorbike to gasohol 91 (e10)?

A solution -

Use the new one YELLOW Benzine instead of The RED 91 !

I see now on many places the RED 91 Gasoline (Benzine) colored signs gone and changed to NEW YELLOW signs which they call BENZINE.

I was told its 95 Octane and has no Ethanol parts. Cost,nearly 50 Baht!

But I think good, and better, for my old Honda CBR Fireblade from 1992 or 1993 ?

I not understand, why all the fuss to get rid of the RED 91, to have the YELLOW 95?

What is that about?

Edited by ALFREDO