Phuket Takes Precautionary Measures After Terrorist Threats To U S Consulate In Chiang Mai

webfact

Phuket takes precautionary measures after terrorist threats to US consulate in Chiang Mai

Phuket Gazette

pc.jpg

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Choti Chavalviwat has boosted security measures across the island. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Phuket’s top cop has increased security measures across the island in the wake of Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung’s warning of possible Al-Qaeda and Salafist terrorists attacks on the United States consulate in Chiang Mai this month (story here).

newsjs

“Although the information gathered pointed to terrorist plans to target the United States consulate in Chiang Mai, we will not ignore the possibility of Phuket being targeted, as many tourists from around the world visit Phuket and their safety is of utmost concern to us,” Phuket Provincial Police Commander Choti Chavalviwat said yesterday evening.

Orders have been sent out to all police stations on Phuket to keep a careful watch for any suspicious activity and report back to Gen Choti.

“We have increased the number of officers at the Tah Chat Chai police checkpoint, which is the main land gateway to Phuket. Customs at Phuket International Airport have also been asked to carefully search suspicious objects and passengers,” he said.

Officers have been spread out across tourist-dense areas in Phuket, including Patong, Kata and Karon, Gen Choti explained.

“We have also asked for the cooperation of locals and hotel staff, as well as beach and restaurant vendors,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...-Mai-20217.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-13

I sincerely hope I will never be proved right but I have thought for sometime that Phuket, being so close to the south,

will at some stage be a target for terrorists, It would not require much of an imagination to smuggle explosives across

the water or around the checkpoints on the island. Again I hope I will forever be wrong.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope I will never be proved right but I have thought for sometime that Phuket, being so close to the south,

will at some stage be a target for terrorists, It would not require much of an imagination to smuggle explosives across

the water or around the checkpoints on the island. Again I hope I will forever be wrong.

I've thought the same since the Bali incident. The south Thailand problem seems to remain local though, at least thus far. If the international 'players' were to pick up the cause and get involved, it could change things. That sort of mayhem would surely fit their MO.

I don't spend time worrying about it or anything, but it is a crazy world we live in these days.

Edited by iSabai

Won't happen, I think. To much money for the locals to flush away.

Bali 's mostly Hindi, the terrorism act was muslim made.

In Phuket, the communinty of muslim people, participating from the western cashflow, is much bigger.

Also the 'south' has really nothing to do, with Thailand. It's still about the Sultanate Patani, and the provinces ot this Sultanate in nothern Malaysia and in southern Thailand.

I do not think, that any of the local 'leaders' will try other local 'authorities', by bringing the conflict into the way of there businesses. It's only the police, who isn't knowing, whom they looking for! Eh, officially

Edited by noob7

Won't happen, I think. To much money for the locals to flush away.

Bali 's mostly Hindi, the terrorism act was muslim made.

In Phuket, the communinty of muslim people, participating from the western cashflow, is much bigger.

Also the 'south' has really nothing to do, with Thailand. It's still about the Sultanate Patani, and the provinces ot this Sultanate in nothern Malaysia and in southern Thailand.

I do not think, that any of the local 'leaders' will try other local 'authorities', by bringing the conflict into the way of there businesses. It's only the police, who isn't knowing, whom they looking for! Eh, officially

I hope you are right but my worry would be that there are outside influences stirring the pot and the young Muslims who want to take a early trip to the promised land are not very logical

I hope you are right but my worry would be that there are outside influences stirring the pot and the young Muslims who want to take a early trip to the promised land are not very logical

You know what? I think, this kind of Muslim is hard to find, in Thailand!

Can't recall a suicide bombing in the south.

If you find one, it's probably not a Thai! Eh, from Thailand

Seems like Thailand is alone in the perceived threat of an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Chiang Mai.

I agree with you on this Conclusion!

Not even staff seems to be aware of it...

When I asked, former Team Members who are still "VERY CLOSE" to being in the "KNOW" there was a... HUH?? we would have know before the end of work today... Then added this... "I believe there is some Knee Knockin... going on, go on as things are Ok! Then addressing me personally "*****" nothing to worry about, really! Ok??

Take it from there....

Apparently some High End Officials in the Thai Goverment Offices are either decidedly taken to either too much Fruity or Adult beverages.... Believe that the Tooth Fairy lives in Thailand and left a message under his pillow. But They should be careful of what they bring up.... For who might interragate in a Dark Room... with running Water... Heh?