Educational Jellyfish Signs Erected On Phuket's Popular Beaches

webfact

Educational jellyfish signs erected on Phuket's popular beaches

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A collaborative effort between the Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) and the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office has seen educational signs about jellyfish springing up on beaches across Phuket.

newsjs“The signs are set up on popular beaches, not because there are many jellyfish in those areas, but because they have so many visitors,” Phuket Marine Biological Center (PMBC) Director Ukkrit Satapoomin told the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

“The signs have been put up to educate people about how to avoid being stung by jellyfish, and what to do if they are stung.

“People shouldn’t panic just because we put signs up – dangerous jellyfish are not common in Phuket,” Mr Ukkrit said.

“We have attached a bottle of vinegar to the signs as well, which can be used to reduce the pain of a sting before going to see a doctor,” he added.

The signs are on the beaches of Sirinath National Park, Patong, Nai Yang, Nai Thon, Bang Tao, Surin, Kamala, Kata, Karon and Nai Harn.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ches-20216.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-13

Great idea, especially the bottle of vinegar if the powers that be keep them full (which I doubt will be maintained very long).

Several years back a buddy of mine was surfing at Kata and ended up with a rather large

jellyfish wrapped around his chest, neck and back which left a nasty welt. That bottle of vinegar

would have come in right handy.

Great idea, especially the bottle of vinegar if the powers that be keep them full (which I doubt will be maintained very long).

Several years back a buddy of mine was surfing at Kata and ended up with a rather large

jellyfish wrapped around his chest, neck and back which left a nasty welt. That bottle of vinegar

Vinegar doesn't work on Portuguese Man-of-War (Bluebottles), according to one commenter on the PG site.

Vinegar doesn't work on Portuguese Man-of-War (Bluebottles), according to one commenter on the PG site.

I would guess that is correct JB, as the Portugee Man-o-War is said to be quite the badass.

Either way, I'm lucky to have never been a victim.

I would guess that is correct JB, as the Portugee Man-o-War is said to be quite the badass.

Either way, I'm lucky to have never been a victim.

That would be correct! http://www.808jellyf...eatmentpage.htm I have seen them here. Scared the sh*t out of me...

The jellyfish population has been increasing around here partially due to the decline in it's predators, namely sea turtles. Very unfortunate for everyone that people haven't cared much for the environment here, instead of selfish greed at everyone's expense.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1