Norwegian Stein Dokset Tried To Buy His Way Out Of A Trial

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dokset denies killing her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall.

I think that should read: "Dokset denies murdering her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall."

Either way, he caused her death, intentional or not.

A reporter from the Phuket Gazette was present, but was asked by the prosecutor not to reveal any testimony given, which could possibly sway the verdict.

Sway the verdict? I thought that there is no trial by jury in Thailand and it is the presiding judge that calls the shots? Does this infer that the judge may read read this forum (among other things) and have his otherwise good judgement swayed?

• Like 2

Surely it's not the family pressing charges, it's the state that is pressing charges.

I believe the Thai legal system is based on British common law. You (in theory) cannot get murder charges dropped.

But you can be convicted and then pay $6000 for a never ending bail .........

Surely it's not the family pressing charges, it's the state that is pressing charges.

I believe the Thai legal system is based on British common law. You (in theory) cannot get murder charges dropped.

Not really - it's based mainly on civil law.

Dokset denies killing her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall.

I think that should read: "Dokset denies murdering her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall."

Murder - you had intent to kill.

Manslaughter - you did not intend to kill.

There is quite a big difference between the criminality of the two, but yes, either way, he is culpable, unless, she actually did fall down the stairs.

Edited by NamKangMan

There is quite a big difference between the criminality of the two, but yes, either way, he is culpable, unless, she actually did fall down the stairs.

true, although 1 report has him hitting (slamming) her head against the wall, next report has her falling (pushed) down the stairs, me imho dont believe him, but i have only read what i can find, although, really no one knows what happens behind closed doors...........

Edited by briboy

I hope he gets death. No reason to kill her and if it was an accident he should have reported at the time. No excuse.

So by your reasoning, an accidental death (manslaughter) + a cover up deserves the death penalty. coffee1.gif Maybe you can point out which developed, or even developing countries would have such a law.

• Like 1

Now if his wife was just say a policeman and he was in fact not a farang but say perhaps the grandson of the Red Bull Billionaire founder then apparently 2 million keeps you out of jail. He went big, fair play to the lad.

Funny world.

It is not wrong what you write, looks not good for the Thai justice system,

but, also when the young RED BULL man drove to fast-presumably and was intoxicated,

it was an accident, between two people who did not know each other and had no argument with each other whatever.

At least for me it is not the same level, as a argument between two Ex Lovers, who had also an,

expensive important, business relation, (at least for Thailand), got in an argument, which went wrong and deadly.

The surviving partner says now it was an accident?

He, invited the woman to the meeting, so it was said.

With which intention?

To talk calmly all possibilities, or to act!?

He kept the body hidden, maybe, so he did not loose with the inheritance of the woman's children, her business assets

and his command regarding the business, So, a, well considered decision,not to go to the police.

Not so good idea, where to hide the body!whistling.gif

I hope he gets death. No reason to kill her and if it was an accident he should have reported at the time. No excuse.

So by your reasoning, an accidental death (manslaughter) + a cover up deserves the death penalty. coffee1.gif Maybe you can point out which developed, or even developing countries would have such a law.

An accidental death would have been reported by any decent human being, what he did instead was inhuman.

Accidental death my xxxx.

Theres always someone to defend these bottom feeders. Bottom feeders themselves perhaps?

Edited by angiud
profanity

An accidental death would have been reported by any decent human being, what he did instead was inhuman.

Accidental death my arse.

Theres always someone to defend these bottom feeders. Bottom feeders themselves perhaps?

If you had half a brain you would see I was not defending him, merely pointing out the gross error in that poster's legal reasoning. Personally, from what I know of him & this case, he does sound guilty of something more than manslaughter.

Edited by keemapoot

true, although 1 report has him hitting (slamming) her head against the wall, next report has her falling (pushed) down the stairs, me imho dont believe him, but i have only read what i can find, although, really no one knows what happens behind closed doors...........

If me and you had and argument, and you pushed me down the stairs, and I hit my head and died - did you mean to kill me, or just "smash" me up a little by pushing me down the stairs????

It's very difficult to prove "intent" to kill, unless the act is so violent that death was going to be an obvious outcome from one's actions. Eg. stabbing someone in the heart or, if it was a long flight of stairs, or just 4 steps.

How can I prove what was in YOUR mind at the exact time you pushed me down the stairs. A lot depends on what you say to the police. Eg. "I wanted to kill him for sleeping with my wife." Or, "I never meant to kill him when I pushed him. I only wanted to hurt him."

Of course, this is Phuket, so, the law is "'administered" in the same way public transport is here. smile.png

The offer of big money, by Thai standards, would probably be causing some in-fighting amongst the victim's family. Some wanting to take the money so the offender goes free, and others not putting a price on justice and refusing the offer, therefore sending the offender to a lengthy gaol sentence. The victim had children, and nothing can bring their mother back, and that money would set them up for life. It's a hard decision they are faced with.

One thing is for sure, Thai prisons are good for a weight loss program. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

In any case, if he doesn't get the death sentence, but just a lengthy prison term, that's as good as a death sentence for a guy his age.

Edited by LivinginKata
off topic remarks removed

Can we assume the late wife's family won't get the 9 million baht offered, if and when the accused is convicted and sentenced???

Why would he pay if he still goes to gaol?

I believe the land/houses were in the girlfriend's name, so the family now have them, and if he was half smart, he would have kept, or moved, the bulk of his money offshore, in case he ever was arrested.

He will have that money send to him to give to prison guards to buy more food, medication, visits etc.

Edited by NamKangMan

Can we assume the late wife's family won't get the 9 million baht offered, if and when the accused is convicted and sentenced???

I believe the land/houses were in the girlfriend's name, so the family now have them, and if he was half smart, he would have kept, or moved, the bulk of his money offshore, in case he ever was arrested.

Not so sure where his money is or how much is left. He sure seemed to spend like drunken sailor, at least here in the auto forum, he was running out to buy the latest model of just about every new vehicle it seemed.

He will have that money send to him to give to prison guards to buy more food, medication, visits etc.

One of the more sensible posts I have read here. For sure the family now own the property, maybe he has a legal 30 year lease or the property is in a company name. That's his only hope.

Not so sure where his money is or how much is left. He sure seemed to spend like drunken sailor, at least here in the auto forum, he was running out to buy the latest model of just about every new vehicle it seemed.

It's not about how much money he has, but about where the money is.

Let's just say he has the 9 million baht he has offered. He should have kept, or moved, this money offshore. You don't want the money where it can be frozen and confiscated, because then you go to gaol, and the family get compensated.

If the money is "out of reach" from the Thai's - you can "mediate" between your sentence and compensation. Eg. I pay more compensation - you give me less sentence, or no sentence at all.

Maybe the family know he has more money to offer, so, they are rejecting his first offer of 9 million baht.

One of the more sensible posts I have read here. For sure the family now own the property, maybe he has a legal 30 year lease or the property is in a company name. That's his only hope.

At Thai law, can you sub-lease out your 30 year lease, without the permission of the land owner?

In other words, if the land was in the girlfriends name and he had a 30 year lease to use the land, by way of living in a house on that land, can he legally sub-lease it to a third party?

Obviously, if he's in gaol, that's what he would be looking at doing, having an income from renting out the house, but can he legally do this?

I think he had more than one property as well.

Edited by NamKangMan

At Thai law, can you sub-lease out your 30 year lease?

In other words, if the land was in the girlfriends name and he had a 30 year lease to use the land, by way of living in a house on that land, can he legally sub-lease it to a third party?

Obviously, if he's in gaol, that's what he would be looking at doing, having a income from renting out the house, but can he legally do this?

Sure he could sub lease or rent if the lease terms allowed that. You really think he will be collecting any rent while he is in gaol this last year - dream on baby.

At Thai law, can you sub-lease out your 30 year lease?

Obviously, if he's in gaol, that's what he would be looking at doing, having a income from renting out the house, but can he legally do this?

Sure he could sub lease or rent if the lease terms allowed that. You really think he will be collecting any rent while he is in gaol this last year - dream on baby.

Why not? Maybe one of his friends, who is not superstitious, will rent it from him and put the rent money directly into his bank account every month.

Maybe he will instruct a property manager to rent it out to tourist, or as a long term rental, and deposit the money into his bank account every month.

Why aren't these options possible?

Why not? Maybe one of his friends, who is not superstitious, will rent it from him and put the rent money directly into his bank account every month.

Maybe he will instruct a property manager to rent it out to tourist, or as a long term rental, and deposit the money into his bank account every month.

Why aren't these options possible?

It's actually a 3 renting units complex, plus his own home. And I have zero idea of how it it managed.