Norwegian Stein Dokset Tried To Buy His Way Out Of A Trial

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? Maybe one of his friends, who is not superstitious, will rent it from him and put the rent money directly into his bank account every month.

Maybe he will instruct a property manager to rent it out to tourist, or as a long term rental, and deposit the money into his bank account every month.

Why aren't these options possible?

It's actually a 3 renting units complex, plus his own home. And I have zero idea of how it it managed.

I didn't actually mean this specific guy, I meant, in general. I can't see why it couldn't be done.

Why not? Maybe one of his friends, who is not superstitious, will rent it from him and put the rent money directly into his bank account every month.

Maybe he will instruct a property manager to rent it out to tourist, or as a long term rental, and deposit the money into his bank account every month.

It's actually a 3 renting units complex, plus his own home. And I have zero idea of how it it managed.

I didn't actually mean this specific guy, I meant, in general. I can't see why it couldn't be done.

Get real NKM .. you were being very specific (read your post), and I still have no idea.

Dokset denies killing her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall.

I think that should read: "Dokset denies murdering her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall."

Either way, he caused her death, intentional or not.

Murder - you had intent to kill.

Manslaughter - you did not intend to kill.

There is quite a big difference between the criminality of the two, but yes, either way, he is culpable, unless, she actually did fall down the stairs.

"Second degree murder is a murder that is not premeditated or planned in advance"

Get real NKM .. you were being very specific (read your post), and I still have no idea.

Ok, I'll clarify.

If a foreigner, or Thai, goes to gaol for a lengthy period of time, for any crime, and they own a property, or in the case of a foreigner, have a 30 year lease that can be sub-leased, I can't see any reason why, despite being in gaol, a property manager can not manage the property, on behalf of the the inmate, and the inmate receives rental income, whilst in gaol.

Or, a friend of the inmate lives in the property, maintains the property, and deposits rent into the inmates bank account (either foreign bank or Thai bank) every month.

Now, specifically in relation to this case, it's quite macabre that the offender took short cuts to "owning" property here by putting the land in the girlfriend's name, then she decides to leave him and possibly have him thrown out of his own property, so he kills her, goes to gaol, and get to rent out the property and receive an income, whilst in gaol, from the very property he killed the Thai land owner of, for trying to defraud him out of.

In the past, it's been the foreigners killed to revert the property ownership back to a Thai. In this case, if the 30 year lease is in place, the foreigner gets to keep the use of the property, depite killing the Thai land owner.

Isn't there something in the 30 year land leases that a new Thai land owner doesn't have to honor a lease issued by a previous owner?

Dokset denies killing her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall.

I think that should read: "Dokset denies murdering her, saying that she died during an argument with him, when he pushed her and her head hit a wall."

Either way, he caused her death, intentional or not.

Murder - you had intent to kill.

Manslaughter - you did not intend to kill.

There is quite a big difference between the criminality of the two, but yes, either way, he is culpable, unless, she actually did fall down the stairs.

"Second degree murder is a murder that is not premeditated or planned in advance"

That's called manslaughter where I am from.

The American criminal judicial system is not much better.

You could be innocent, but the District Attorney offers you 5 years gaol for a crime you didn't commit, but if you plead not guilty, and go to trail, and lose, the District Attorny will seek the maximum sentence of 25 years.

What do innocent people do in The States - take the 5 years, purely because they do not want to gamble with 20 years of their life, despite being innocent.

Yes, not all people in gaol are guilty - and yes, not all people who are free were innocent.

You could be innocent, but the District Attorney offers you 5 years gaol for a crime you didn't commit, but if you plead not guilty, and go to trail, and lose, the District Attorny will seek the maximum sentence of 25 years.

What do innocent people do in The States - take the 5 years, purely because they do not want to gamble with 20 years of their life, despite being innocent.

Yes, not all people in gaol are guilty - and yes, not all people who are free were innocent.

Another good post NKM. If he had pleaded guilty to even 2nd degree murder at most he would get 10 years, reduced to 5 for guilty plea. He has done 1 year so at worst he would serve 4 years.

This is way off topic NKM. Stay with the original topic, thank you.

it's a bit off topic, but the thread is about him offering cash money as "compensation" to the victim's family to secure a lesser sentence, or no sentence at all.

A 30 year lease over property could easily be on the table as part of his offer of compensation.

The tilte of the thread is "Norwegian Stein Dokset Tried To BUY His Way Out Of A Trial" not "Norwegian Stein Dokset tried to BRIBE his way out of trial." It suggests some "mediation" is taking place and that mediation is all about the money and assets.

Edited by NamKangMan

Another good post NKM. If he had pleaded guilty to even 2nd degree murder at most he would get 10 years, reduced to 5 for guilty plea. He has done 1 year so at worst he would serve 4 years.

There's a few "hang'em high" posts on here, but picture yourself walking down Bangla Road one night and a Lady Boy approaches you. You know he will be trying to pick-pocket you, so after telling him to "<deleted> off" - he still tries to put his arm around you, so, you push him away but he stumbles back in his high heels, falls over and hits his head on the gutter and loses consciousness. He is taken to hospital and is in a coma and later dies.

Witnesses state you were having an argument prior to the assault, because they heard you tell him to "<deleted> off" and then they saw you push him over, causing him to hit his head on the concrete and die. Something like this could happen to anyone here, at anytime.

You are now in the same situation as Mr. Dokset.

There but for the grace of God go I.

• Like 1

<snip>

A 30 year lease over property could easily be on the table as part of his offer of compensation.

C'mon NKM, where do you think the 9.3 mill baht is coming from. We don't even know he had a legal 30 year lease. It's all pure speculation.

Well, he must have a quid, he "bought" land on Phuket and built a house for himself and 3 rental properties. There's quite a few million baht to start with.

Of course, you are right, it's just speculation, but, would you be surprised to read in the PG next week the headline:

"Family of murder victim accepts 15 million baht from Dokset as a sign of remorse - instructs police to drop charges."

Nothing surprises me in Thailand, you can expect the unexpected.

• Like 1

He should be able to pay his way out of this.

After all his father was responsible for Asian operations at the time the Norwegian telecommunications company Telenor acquired the majority of the shares in DTAC. Even if the father now are retired he should still have enough important contacts in Thailand to solve this.

• Like 1

He should be able to pay his way out of this.

After all his father was responsible for Asian operations at the time the Norwegian telecommunications company Telenor acquired the majority of the shares in DTAC. Even if the father now are retired he should still have enough important contacts in Thailand to solve this.

Really, then why has he been banged up for a year. Likely a few million baht bail bond & high level contacts would have saved him the year in jail.

<snip>

C'mon NKM, where do you think the 9.3 mill baht is coming from. We don't even know he had a legal 30 year lease. It's all pure speculation.

Well, he must have a quid, he "bought" land on Phuket and built a house for himself and 3 rental properties. There's quite a few million baht to start with.

Of course, you are right, it's just speculation, but, would you be surprised to read in the PG next week the headline:

"Family of murder victim accepts 15 million baht from Dokset as a sign of remorse - instructs police to drop charges."

Nothing surprises me in Thailand, you can expect the unexpected.

Any decision to drop the charges lies with the police &/or prosecutor. Regardless of compensation, which is a civil matter, he has already been charged with a criminal offence & in Thailand the two are entirely separate in law.

Sometimes family greed gets in the way.......

Let us see, Three children, maybe a devoted husband,

She in another relationship?

The money? Maybe to take care of his children.....

Can't say and can't judge...

Not there ...

didn't see,

don't know ,

do not think I want to.......

Thailand is surely funny this way,

But then,

all countries have good and bad.....

How many thai men have done this,

with no questions asked??????

Just a thought........

kilosierrawai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

LOS... Land of smiles? orLand of Sighs???????