Phuket-Ranong Visa-Run Van Flips Three Times In Phang Nga

webfact

Phuket-Ranong visa-run van flips three times in Phang Nga

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A visa-run van returning to Phuket from Ranong with 10 Russian passengers flipped three times as it took a sharp turn at “high-speed” on the wet roads of Phang Nga yesterday.

newsjs

None of the passengers were seriously injured.

“On the way to Ranong the driver was going very, very fast. We understood that he was a professional driver, but everyone felt uncomfortable with the speed,” said Kristina Doran, a Russian expat who moved to Phuket last July.

On the return trip the driver slowed down somewhat, “like 110 km”, Ms Doran said. The passengers relaxed, and as it started to rain, Ms Doran fell asleep.

“That’s when the van flipped three times. I heard the road was wet and there was a sharp curve. People slammed into each other as the van was turning over,” she told the Phuket Gazette.

After the van came to a stop, the passengers managed to open a door and get out. Two women had trouble breathing and four people had back problems, but nobody appeared to be seriously hurt, Ms Doran said.

“It was really magic that everyone was okay,” Ms Doran added.

Immediately after the tour van passengers climbed free of the wreckage, a car moving at high-speed also flipped on the curve, Ms Doran said

“It was like a movie,” she added.

Six passengers from the tour van were taken to Bangkok Phuket Hospital.

“They had bruises, scratches, and some had rib pain, but no one was admitted to the hospital,” emergency room staff told the Gazette.

The hospital bill was covered by the visa-run company’s insurance, Ms Doran explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...-Nga-20245.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-15

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is: the drivers dont go on a visarun, they are one a formula 1 track and the competition is to reach the border or home base first. Last time I went the driver drove a max from 180 km/h.

Those russians were very lucky, though back problems may reveal themself later on, the visarun company gonna be responsable for that too ?

Better option: fly in the air, not on the road, but its a roughly a 10 k Bath more

• Like 1

If operators were serious about making their vehicles safer they could fit a GPS and check the vehicles speed when they return. Excessive speed = driver not paid.

But first they would have to care about the safety of their passengers.

Excessive speed = more trips = more money for both driver and tour operators.

I am surprised by how people from Europe consider some speeds excessive. Even though I understand that in Germany high speed driving is allowed on the Autobhan, at least it was back in the 1960's when I lived there. I will admit that 180 Kph is too fast for many of the places I have been in Thailand and I don't think many Thai drivers (if any) are competent enough to drive that fast! The last time I drove that fast was when I was given "high speed pursuit" training at a Federal Government training center, here in the United States.

Years ago in my mid 20's I did drive 153 and 161 Kph (95 and100 Mpg) on a regular basis, but that was the maximum speed limits on well maintained Interstate Highways in the state of Texas!

A little off topic, even though I think that American drivers, as a group, are better drivers than drivers in Thailand, most of them really do not know how to drive fast and safe here either!!! I am continuously surprised that more drivers don't kill themselves than do each month!

"We understood that he was a professional driver, but everyone felt uncomfortable with the speed,” said Kristina Doran, a Russian expat who moved to Phuket last July."

Kristina has been living in Thailand for half a year and still believes professional drivers exist? One has to wonder which rock she has been living under :-)

Anyway, FYI Kristina, it takes about a couple of hours to get a Thai drivers license, or 500 baht if you are in a hurry. No additional training or certificate is needed to become a minibus driver.

Good to hear that all are ok!

Immediately after the tour van passengers climbed free of the wreckage, a car moving at high-speed also flipped on the curve, Ms Doran said

The car driver probably hit the brakes too hard trying to avoid the out of control van spinning out of the curve losing traction and going out along with it - the amount of times I've had to break for vans taking corners too fast and slipping out into my lane is ridiculous.

Sorry, macho man, you forgot one tiny detail in your bravura, or was that road rage: you almost killed the van driver's completely innocent passengers and those of nearby vehicles when his two front tires blew out at speed. you lowered yourself to the stupid, selfish, disrespectful behavior you place on the Thais in your post.

I disagree, except for the macho part. It doesn't really suit me but the way you put it made me feel weird, but I kind of liked it. I can be very enraged and be quite calculating. What happened happened. I'd do it again, as I fulfilled the required measures to avoid the confrontation and was not allowed an out. Clearly you overlooked what he did and shat upon me.

There were no passengers, but you didn't ask, did you? You got right on my ass and honked and flashed your impressive assumptions. Ask before you assume.

The nearby vehicles had cleared out, as I stated. Do you drive like you talk? You didn't ask and didn't allow me an out to explain something I did not mention. Aren't you the clever boy to sift out my imperfections and pounce on them. Are you a detective who bullies people in little rooms with a light swinging from the ceiling? Boy, you sure don't know how to process what you read, do you?

Figuratively speaking, quit riding my ass and back off! I assure you that I am quite as objective and controlled now as I was then.

Excuse my language, but it is appropriate considering these scum who drive minivans.

I drive on the 7 and 36 a lot. The majority of minivans I see on these freeways are operated by a pack of idiotic, bullying, rude ...... They speed in excess of 140 KPH and get right up on your rear bumper so you cannot see their headlights. Or they drive slow in the fast lane and will not move out of the way. They will cut in front of you suddenly without any directional indicators or safe space. It seems all the other Thai drivers in vehicles smaller than them avoid them like the plague. I see this behavior acted out against many innocent drivers time and time again.

I had a road run-in about three months ago where a van came up on me so fast I thought he would rear-end me. I was boxed in and could not pull over. He persisted and honked and flashed his hi-beams. The surrounding vehicles cleared out. I still could not safely get out of the way as he was so close on my rear, heavy-duty, stainless steel bumper. Needless to say, I dealt with it and he lost. I turned on my hazard lights and he stayed on my bumper. I slowed down gently and he stayed on my bumper. I sped up and he sped up. I said ..... it; braced myself and slammed on the brakes. He slammed on his brakes and two for his tires blew out at about 130 KPH - bam bam. No contact. He barely made it to the side of the road and nearly got hit in doing so, as he swerved across three lanes suddenly and forced several vehicles to slam on their brakes. I kept on going with a shit eating grin and years of experience driving in these types of conditions.

I hate these ...... beyond belief and am prepared to retaliate with my 4000+ pounds of angry steel if they threaten my safety and do not allow me the courtesy of getting out of their way safely. I am aware of the fact that they are crazy and they are capable of doing anything, but if I am alone in my truck and this happens, then this happens and they'll go with me or they'll simply go. I am not ashamed of telling it, and I suspect there will be a few who do not condone what I did, but I give a shit. Put my back against the wall and I'll unleash whatever Hell I've got to give. The little.....can die for all I care. I have no use for them. They shouldn't be allowed to drive anything. 16 year old princesses and minivan drivers: enough said! Every time I read a story like this I shake my head in disbelief at how stupid, selfish and disrespectful Thai people are towards others with the technology they have been blessed with. Flame off.

I guess you were real proud of yourself weren't you.. Frankly what you did was just as bad as the guy on your rear bumper. Just luck that innocent people in other vehicles were not in an accident because of your actions. I shake my head at how stupid, selfish and disrespectful you were.
  • Like 1

I am surprised by how people from Europe consider some speeds excessive. Even though I understand that in Germany high speed driving is allowed on the Autobhan, at least it was back in the 1960's when I lived there. I will admit that 180 Kph is too fast for many of the places I have been in Thailand and I don't think many Thai drivers (if any) are competent enough to drive that fast! The last time I drove that fast was when I was given "high speed pursuit" training at a Federal Government training center, here in the United States.

Years ago in my mid 20's I did drive 153 and 161 Kph (95 and100 Mpg) on a regular basis, but that was the maximum speed limits on well maintained Interstate Highways in the state of Texas!

A little off topic, even though I think that American drivers, as a group, are better drivers than drivers in Thailand, most of them really do not know how to drive fast and safe here either!!! I am continuously surprised that more drivers don't kill themselves than do each month!.

It is somewhat different when you are carrying passengers.

"We understood that he was a professional driver, but everyone felt uncomfortable with the speed"

Got his lisence out of a Corn Flakes box that morning... if you're uncomfortable then yell at the driver.

I'm very happy my wife thinks they're always driving to fast and gives them what for, the unfortuange sad fact is another Thai's or farangs don't.

Would hate for the pathetic uneducated to lose face.

Do you think for the sake to human lives you can get your Thai wife, (I presume she is Thai) to tell all of her Thai friends to vigorously, aggressively and in an unrelenting way, tell these vermin to slow down and have some respect for the people that pay their wages, not to mention the others on the road. Ask her to tell all of her friends to tell all of their friends, and so on... If they hear it from their own people CONSTANTLY it may just have an effect. I could be dreaming also......

While I am on the soap box, could you lay it on thick to your wife about the scams and dual pricing crap?

Back to the dream sequence....

If operators were serious about making their vehicles safer they could fit a GPS and check the vehicles speed when they return. Excessive speed = driver not paid.

But first they would have to care about the safety of their passengers.

There is even a low tech solution that's been around for years. It's called a governor. You can push the accelerator all the way to the floor but the vehicle will only go as fast as the governor permits it to.

Rode up front with a driver not so long ago and he showed off his English-speaking skills by telling me that passenger safety was his first concern and he would never drive excessively fast.

After a few minutes of chatting together, he reached down for his newspaper, opened it up and spread it over the steering wheel as he was driving. He then proceeded to drive, read the paper, turn the pages, and make a few phone calls, all at the same time.

I guess he thought this was ok as we were doing only 100km.

My 5 cents.... I went last week to Ranong on a border run, and this time I rented a real motorbike (650 cc). Great fun! The road to Ranong is beautiful and it is relaxed driving, as I started early (before the minivans).tongue.png

On the way back, there were loads of minivans returning to Phucket (pronounce Phuck-it), and it was not so relaxed anymore. These minivan drivers were competing with each other like crazy, and they were even trying to crawl in my exhaust. I ALWAYS keep a safe distance from whatever is in front of me, definitely NOT thai style.... The acceleration and speed of a 650 Kawa is no match for a minivan, but I let 2 or 3 pass me, just because they were way too close to my rear to be comfortable. blink.png

They drive even faster than what I think is fast AND safe on the bike.... they deserve to have a (serious) accident, but it is the passengers that are really at risk! These guys do it every day, they know the road by heart, but everybody in thai traffic knows that ANYTHING can happen at ANYTIME. These guys have NO safety margins at all!!

Best thing would be if we all boycot the minivans....but that is not going to happen sad.png

My advice to any border runners: get a couple of guys together and rent a car! It is faster, safer, cheaper, more fun and you can have a bit of a day out on a boring visa/border run. On my next border run I will rent a bike again, little bit more expensive but a lot safer and I get to drive a real bike all day tongue.png

My 5 cents.... I went last week to Ranong on a border run, and this time I rented a real motorbike (650 cc). Great fun! The road to Ranong is beautiful and it is relaxed driving, as I started early (before the minivans).tongue.png

On the way back, there were loads of minivans returning to Phucket (pronounce Phuck-it), and it was not so relaxed anymore. These minivan drivers were competing with each other like crazy, and they were even trying to crawl in my exhaust. I ALWAYS keep a safe distance from whatever is in front of me, definitely NOT thai style.... The acceleration and speed of a 650 Kawa is no match for a minivan, but I let 2 or 3 pass me, just because they were way too close to my rear to be comfortable. blink.png

They drive even faster than what I think is fast AND safe on the bike.... they deserve to have a (serious) accident, but it is the passengers that are really at risk! These guys do it every day, they know the road by heart, but everybody in thai traffic knows that ANYTHING can happen at ANYTIME. These guys have NO safety margins at all!!

Best thing would be if we all boycot the minivans....but that is not going to happen sad.png

My advice to any border runners: get a couple of guys together and rent a car! It is faster, safer, cheaper, more fun and you can have a bit of a day out on a boring visa/border run. On my next border run I will rent a bike again, little bit more expensive but a lot safer and I get to drive a real bike all day tongue.png

Also rented a bigger bike last time i did. A beautiful ride. Even had time to go look at that real high waterfall just before Ranong. Much safer than those Yabba/M150 addict minivan drivers.

Was this by any chance the same company that crashed on a curve a few months back? The Penang run. Driver was overtaking on a corner if i remember rightly. Think they ended up in a field...