Phuket-Ranong Visa-Run Van Flips Three Times In Phang Nga

webfact

Curiously the worst drivers in thailand are the "professional drivers". Except for fortuners drivers, the standard of driving for the rest of them is not that bad imho...

I do not know where you have driven in your life, but their standard of driving keeps me on the defensive like never before. I fear to take my eyes off the road for one split second for want of being able to avoid their idiotic, compulsive maneuvers. You are generalizing all Thais who operate internal combustion vehicles as "not that bad". I emphatically disagree. Say that anywhere in the company of other foreigners and you'll get some truth of what I am suggesting.

It's a natural cognitive bias. During a one hour trip, you will share the road with hundreds of vehicles. But you only need to witness two or three crazy drivers attempting a suicidal maneuver to deduct that the standard of driving is horrible. Actually, the vast majority of drivers are ok and just drive normally, you just don't notice them.

What makes thai roads very dangerous is this very small percentage of drivers who are totally insane.

FYI I drove a lot around Paris before, and while I would not say the average driver is "bad", the style of driving is quite aggressive there, so much that I feel it is more relaxing to drive in Phuket than in Paris.

Edited by pistachios
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defending myself and putting others in danger are 2 different things .. Whilst I don't question your driving ability when you slammed on your breaks you could not fully know the outcome. It worked out that time but it could have ended with other innocent bystanders getting killed.

Absolutely not! Defending yourself in any given situation where you aren't given an out is one and the same. Don't back down with on your side and leave me with the tough, split second decisions here.

How about you and all the rest of the concerned idealists begin telling me how bad this driver was, and how illegal and dangerous it was for him to single out an innocent driver in a pick up truck; namely, me? Why not berate those passengers, who let that maniac roll the van three times, for not yelling (I mean YELLING like we all had to do about 4 years back on the way back from Laos) to make the driver slow down or he'd get the crap beat out of him.

As far as I am concerned, if those passengers were aware of the behavior and said nothing, then they got what they deserved. You drive like that with me as a passenger and you'll pay hell for it.

Those "innocent people in other cars" include me, yes? So some asshol_e called me out on the carpet and didn't leave me an out and he got a bit of his own medicine. Read my posts. No out. Couldn't get out of his way because he was too close. Scared shitless he'd tap my right rear bumper and throw me into a spin. Yeah! I know about those things. It's like nudging someone over a bit so you can get through or get out of the way. So the person won't let you nudge and they persistently bully you. You weren't there. I was.

My point is the majority of Thai drivers (minivan drivers in particular) are worthless (Rule #3 to the Nth degree) and should have a hammer taken to their fingers and toes for what they do and get away with, simply because people like you and the other idealists and the rubber back-boned Thais back off and feed their little egos. Then they move on to the next sucker.

This is what the article is implying: Bad minivan drivers. Dangerous minivan drivers. Stupid passengers who sit there and don't warn him to slow down or else he'll get the crap beat out of him. I'll die fighting... not pissing myself as I allow someone else to cash in my chips, or try to at best. People who see there is something amiss and do not clear out or come to my assistance will be collateral damage.

I give a shit when my life is on the line. I'll deal out the idealistic chatter later when the dust clears. I see I got two more "likes" on my initial rant while telling you off. How do you like me now?

No split second decision at all, according to your post he was harassing you for quite some time.

You can defend it all you want, in my opinion your actions here were indefenceable.If true that is, because I seriously doubt your story.

Edited by stevenl

If operators were serious about making their vehicles safer they could fit a GPS and check the vehicles speed when they return. Excessive speed = driver not paid.

But first they would have to care about the safety of their passengers.

What a naive notion to fit vans with GPS. That would cause dirvers to lose face. Don't you know anything?

They only use mirrors to pick blackheads. I came out of a house and I had one using my motorcycle mirrors, because hers had none.

Vietnamese motorbikers since the beginning of time had always pointed their mirrors at themselves to see their own reflection while riding. Lately, there must have been some legislation about this because the pracitce has diminished markedly.

Been back in the west for a few months and what amuses me is the driving. A lot of people suck at following limits and flow but nothing that gives you kill-worthy rages. Lots of scared driving but then we have the few Thai style drivers and as of today 100% of those have been men in really small automatic cars. (mini suzuki models/yaris)

We can come to the conclusion that tailgating and dangerous maneuver when faced with a red light 100meters ahead is a definite side effect of lacking manhood. What kind of real man would go with a yaris when he could just get himself an older bigger and better car for the same price? Only reason is high estrogen.

Excuse my language, but it is appropriate considering these scum who drive minivans.

I drive on the 7 and 36 a lot. The majority of minivans I see on these freeways are operated by a pack of idiotic, bullying, rude .... They speed in excess of 140 KPH and get right up on your rear bumper so you cannot see their headlights. Or they drive slow in the fast lane and will not move out of the way. They will cut in front of you suddenly without any directional indicators or safe space. It seems all the other Thai drivers in vehicles smaller than them avoid them like the plague. I see this behavior acted out against many innocent drivers time and time again.

I had a road run-in about three months ago where a van came up on me so fast I thought he would rear-end me. I was boxed in and could not pull over. He persisted and honked and flashed his hi-beams. The surrounding vehicles cleared out. I still could not safely get out of the way as he was so close on my rear, heavy-duty, stainless steel bumper. Needless to say, I dealt with it and he lost. I turned on my hazard lights and he stayed on my bumper. I slowed down gently and he stayed on my bumper. I sped up and he sped up. I said .... it; braced myself and slammed on the brakes. He slammed on his brakes and two for his tires blew out at about 130 KPH - bam bam. No contact. He barely made it to the side of the road and nearly got hit in doing so, as he swerved across three lanes suddenly and forced several vehicles to slam on their brakes. I kept on going with a shit eating grin and years of experience driving in these types of conditions.

I hate these ...... beyond belief and am prepared to retaliate with my 4000+ pounds of angry steel if they threaten my safety and do not allow me the courtesy of getting out of their way safely. I am aware of the fact that they are crazy and they are capable of doing anything, but if I am alone in my truck and this happens, then this happens and they'll go with me or they'll simply go. I am not ashamed of telling it, and I suspect there will be a few who do not condone what I did, but I give a shit. Put my back against the wall and I'll unleash whatever Hell I've got to give. The little ..... can die for all I care. I have no use for them. They shouldn't be allowed to drive anything. 16 year old princesses and minivan drivers: enough said! Every time I read a story like this I shake my head in disbelief at how stupid, selfish and disrespectful Thai people are towards others with the technology they have been blessed with. Flame off.

It's people like you that are equally responsible for the deaths of innocent people in minivans and other road crash fatalities

Read the bold piece and apply it to yourself

Yeah. I read the bold piece. I am considerate and a safe driver. I follow the rules of the road using a mix of common sense learned in the USA under all weather conditions, as well as the pure defensive driving skills needed constantly here. I have driven off-road for over 10 years in old, battered clunkers with no brakes and exhaust systems. Us kids used to drive like madmen off road and I put many a dent in alder ash and pine trees. The skills gained from that experience has given me the confidence to put my laurels on the table and challenge your skepticism. I have been driving for over 35 years. I have never caused an accident although others have ran into me. I have never been cited for being responsible for an accident. I would like to know how you arrive at your conclusion that I am responsible for deaths of innocent people. You are an idiot and a fool to assume what you do not know..

How can you be sure that you didn't cause a crash with vehicles behind the mini van, or be sure that you will not be the cause of an accident in the future to drivers who are further back in traffic. Totally innocent people who may die due to the idiocy of two aggressive drivers playing at being macho men.

Edited by I Like Thai
  • Like 2

the pity about all the needless loss of life is that it can all be stopped with a little logic , why cant an alternative be found to all these visa runs ? ,.....money talks very loudly in thailand , why not let them use a local immigration office instead of leaving the country , for the same cost, and then spend the huge profits of 3000b per month, per head ,on improving road safety and to straighten that nasty bend in phang gna for starters .overseas consulates closing forcing people to travel more doesn't help either,........ not to mention the 'green' issues !

the pity about all the needless loss of life is that it can all be stopped with a little logic , why cant an alternative be found to all these visa runs ? ,.....money talks very loudly in thailand , why not let them use a local immigration office instead of leaving the country , for the same cost, and then spend the huge profits of 3000b per month, per head ,on improving road safety and to straighten that nasty bend in phang gna for starters .overseas consulates closing forcing people to travel more doesn't help either,........ not to mention the 'green' issues !

If you plan a month ahead or even a year ahead when airasia offers their pay taxes only scheme you can do the visa runs by plane to SG/KL for 1500b or less. Last minute you can do HKT/SG for 3k~ we free movies @ the airport. Much better than 1300b to sit 8hrs next to a fat sweaty amulet wearing geriatric german on a deathmobile

Defending myself and putting others in danger are 2 different things .. Whilst I don't question your driving ability when you slammed on your breaks you could not fully know the outcome. It worked out that time but it could have ended with other innocent bystanders getting killed.

Absolutely not! Defending yourself in any given situation where you aren't given an out is one and the same. Don't back down with on your side and leave me with the tough, split second decisions here.

How about you and all the rest of the concerned idealists begin telling me how bad this driver was, and how illegal and dangerous it was for him to single out an innocent driver in a pick up truck; namely, me? Why not berate those passengers, who let that maniac roll the van three times, for not yelling (I mean YELLING like we all had to do about 4 years back on the way back from Laos) to make the driver slow down or he'd get the crap beat out of him.

As far as I am concerned, if those passengers were aware of the behavior and said nothing, then they got what they deserved. You drive like that with me as a passenger and you'll pay hell for it.

Those "innocent people in other cars" include me, yes? So some asshol_e called me out on the carpet and didn't leave me an out and he got a bit of his own medicine. Read my posts. No out. Couldn't get out of his way because he was too close. Scared shitless he'd tap my right rear bumper and throw me into a spin. Yeah! I know about those things. It's like nudging someone over a bit so you can get through or get out of the way. So the person won't let you nudge and they persistently bully you. You weren't there. I was.

My point is the majority of Thai drivers (minivan drivers in particular) are worthless (Rule #3 to the Nth degree) and should have a hammer taken to their fingers and toes for what they do and get away with, simply because people like you and the other idealists and the rubber back-boned Thais back off and feed their little egos. Then they move on to the next sucker.

This is what the article is implying: Bad minivan drivers. Dangerous minivan drivers. Stupid passengers who sit there and don't warn him to slow down or else he'll get the crap beat out of him. I'll die fighting... not pissing myself as I allow someone else to cash in my chips, or try to at best. People who see there is something amiss and do not clear out or come to my assistance will be collateral damage.

I give a shit when my life is on the line. I'll deal out the idealistic chatter later when the dust clears. I see I got two more "likes" on my initial rant while telling you off. How do you like me now?

No split second decision at all, according to your post he was harassing you for quite some time.

You can defend it all you want, in my opinion your actions here were indefenceable.If true that is, because I seriously doubt your story.

So be it. Thank you for your opinion.

Excuse my language, but it is appropriate considering these scum who drive minivans.

I drive on the 7 and 36 a lot. The majority of minivans I see on these freeways are operated by a pack of idiotic, bullying, rude .... They speed in excess of 140 KPH and get right up on your rear bumper so you cannot see their headlights. Or they drive slow in the fast lane and will not move out of the way. They will cut in front of you suddenly without any directional indicators or safe space. It seems all the other Thai drivers in vehicles smaller than them avoid them like the plague. I see this behavior acted out against many innocent drivers time and time again.

I had a road run-in about three months ago where a van came up on me so fast I thought he would rear-end me. I was boxed in and could not pull over. He persisted and honked and flashed his hi-beams. The surrounding vehicles cleared out. I still could not safely get out of the way as he was so close on my rear, heavy-duty, stainless steel bumper. Needless to say, I dealt with it and he lost. I turned on my hazard lights and he stayed on my bumper. I slowed down gently and he stayed on my bumper. I sped up and he sped up. I said .... it; braced myself and slammed on the brakes. He slammed on his brakes and two for his tires blew out at about 130 KPH - bam bam. No contact. He barely made it to the side of the road and nearly got hit in doing so, as he swerved across three lanes suddenly and forced several vehicles to slam on their brakes. I kept on going with a shit eating grin and years of experience driving in these types of conditions.

I hate these ...... beyond belief and am prepared to retaliate with my 4000+ pounds of angry steel if they threaten my safety and do not allow me the courtesy of getting out of their way safely. I am aware of the fact that they are crazy and they are capable of doing anything, but if I am alone in my truck and this happens, then this happens and they'll go with me or they'll simply go. I am not ashamed of telling it, and I suspect there will be a few who do not condone what I did, but I give a shit. Put my back against the wall and I'll unleash whatever Hell I've got to give. The little ..... can die for all I care. I have no use for them. They shouldn't be allowed to drive anything. 16 year old princesses and minivan drivers: enough said! Every time I read a story like this I shake my head in disbelief at how stupid, selfish and disrespectful Thai people are towards others with the technology they have been blessed with. Flame off.

It's people like you that are equally responsible for the deaths of innocent people in minivans and other road crash fatalities

Read the bold piece and apply it to yourself

Yeah. I read the bold piece. I am considerate and a safe driver. I follow the rules of the road using a mix of common sense learned in the USA under all weather conditions, as well as the pure defensive driving skills needed constantly here. I have driven off-road for over 10 years in old, battered clunkers with no brakes and exhaust systems. Us kids used to drive like madmen off road and I put many a dent in alder ash and pine trees. The skills gained from that experience has given me the confidence to put my laurels on the table and challenge your skepticism. I have been driving for over 35 years. I have never caused an accident although others have ran into me. I have never been cited for being responsible for an accident. I would like to know how you arrive at your conclusion that I am responsible for deaths of innocent people. You are an idiot and a fool to assume what you do not know..

How can you be sure that you didn't cause a crash with vehicles behind the mini van, or be sure that you will not be the cause of an accident in the future to drivers who are further back in traffic. Totally innocent people who may die due to the idiocy of two aggressive drivers playing at being macho men.

I do not have to be sure of anything when anyone, including you, attacks me. All I need to do is resist, avoid or end the action as quickly as possible, as the attacker deals me the cards. Since no one came to my rescue, I really give a shit for their butts. Were someone attacking you, I assure you I would be on their ass trying to pull them off, or putting my truck between them and you were I aware that you were trying to escape. I guess you would like me then, yes? I was raised that way, you see; to punch the bully in the nose and make society a better place for sheep like you. Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree.

It's not the standing up to the bully as such ... People like that deserve some comeback and normally I'd say nice job. But it's the fact that your action, whacking on the breaks, could have put people other than the "bully" at risk.... Then to these potential "other" people you then become the bully ....

Perhaps pulling over and letting him pass,then following him and letting him know your "thoughts" ... Less risks for others!

Anyhow. Peace out..

• 2 weeks later...

Pics or it didn't happen...cheesy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at doing a Visa run Phuket - Ranong anytime now up to 24th Mar .... Driving a near new fully optioned 4 door pickup... Years of exprienced driving in many countries, can even fly a plane.. lol... reading these horror stories.. I dont want to go to hospital! First 4 that contact me and we agree date can join...

thanks....

Anyone who travels in one of these death machines is suicidal.

How right you are. I wouldn't travel in one for free. You lot out there be warned. bah.gif