2 Million Meth Pills, 50Kg Of Ice Seized In Chiang Rai Clash

webfact

2 million meth pills, 50kg of ice seized in Chiang Rai clash

By Digital Media

20130215120726.jpg

CHIANG RAI, Feb 15 -- Thai authorities seized 50kg of crystal methamphetamine, popularly known as 'ice' and 2.2 million methamphetamine tablets after a gunfight between Thai police and members of a drug syndicate on Mae Chan-Chiang Saen Road in Chiang Rai's Mae Chan district Thursday night.

Two suspected drug traffickers were arrested and taken into custody while another was seriously wounded and sent to hospital. The authorities seized two pickup trucks, one pistol and a hand grenade.

Pol Col Noppadol Nilmanond of Chiang Rai Narcotics Supression Bureau led police to stake out the Mae Chan-Chiang Saen Road after an informant reported that ethnic Hmong drug traffickers in Thoeng district would smuggle illicit drugs from Myanmar into Thailand at border of Mae Sai and Mae Fa Luang districts.

The reports warned that the drug syndicate may use Mae Chan-Chiang San Road to transport the shipment to avoid a checkpoint on the Mae Chan-Chiang Rai Road.

While monitoring the Mae Chan-Chiang Saen 'T junction', police found four pickup trucks driving from the border which looked suspicious.

The police asked the four vehicles to halt for inspection but they tried to evade and a chase along the road began. The suspected drug traffickers shot at the police car, while police shot out the tyres of two of the pickup trucks. The drivers attempted to escape, throwing a grenade at the police, but it failed to detonate.

The driver, wounded by police, and two other suspects in the pickup truck were arrested.

Two trucks eluded the authorities, but police are trying are trying to track down the escaped suspects. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-02-15

Crazy what some people do for a living? Is it worth getting shot? They must thinks so...

Risk/reward. Most don't get shot, as demonstrated by this being a newsworthy event. Most don't ever get caught. Heck, in Thailand, that's often by arrangement with the boys in blue. I'm not condoning drug trafficking for a moment, but yes, a lot of people do see the rewards as being worth the risk as the profits can be huge and accumulated in a short space of time.

Edited by pete66

wait, where are they taking the stuff? biggrin.png

kidding!! I dont do stuff. Left all that nonsense back in college.

The Boys In Blue will be out in your neighborhood, selling the stash, out the back of their pick-ups......lol

Thats a lot of stuff they confiscated. I wouldn't be surprised if not all of it make to the incinerator.

I recall back in the day, SDPD (san diego PD) made a huge pot bust a while back, the tiral was done and they were going to burn it in some undisclosed location. There was a picture of the police officials burning the bundles. Except i noticed, at least it looked like, all the officials were standing DOWNWIND! blink.png

Gotta hand it to SDPD. they're no dummies! :)

UPDATE:

Police kill 1, seize Bt600m worth of drugs in Chiang Rai operation

The Nation

CHIANG RAI: -- Police seized 1.97 million yaba pills and 20 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine and arrested three men, one of whom later died of gunshot wounds, following a clash in Chiang Rai, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday.

Acting on a tip-off, police set up road checkpoints on Mae Chan-Chiang Saeng Rd in Mae Chan district. The checkpoint was approached by a pick-up truck and three cars at about 9pm.

The vehicles ran the checkpoint, and when police gave chase, they noticed that the three cars tried to keep them from getting near the pick-up, said Pol Colonel Noppadon Nilmanon who headed the operation.

Two men in one of the cars opened fire on the police, prompting them to return fire. Officers shot the tyres of the pick-up truck, prompting both the car and the truck to stop. The other two cars managed to flee the scene.

Police said the driver of the truck lobbed a grenade at the police and tried to get away, but police shot and injured him. He was identified as Prateep Saeyang, 20. He later died at a hospital.

The two other suspects were identified as Sitthichai Saeyang, 35, and Salidet Saethao, 30.

Chalerm held a press conference at the Royal Thai Police Club yesterday to announce the arrests.

The seized drugs were worth about Bt600 million, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-16

RELATED:

Chalerm parades Hmong drug suspects in massive meth seizure at Police Sports Club

Crazy what some people do for a living? Is it worth getting shot? They must thinks so...

Traffic drugs or stand neck deep in **** cleaning the sewers on Silom. I know which one I would pick if I were that desperate!

Hot and smelly work though.sick.gif