Traditional Street Photography

fimgirl

This short piece about Bruce Gilden really is worth a watch . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBARi09je8

Watch the YouTube clip first then read this . . .

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/08/24/5-lessons-bruce-gilden-has-taught-me-about-street-photography/

NYC14506.jpg

Right, off to Walking Street to flash Russian tourists in the face. What could possibly go wrong...

Let us know how you get on.

Try and get shots of that big guy from NZ/Aus with all the tats, the bodybuilder with all the gold.

Remember this Rabbit. If your photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ Years ago in construction, the tea room was always the best laugh. I mean there was seriously funny blokes about then. Now. Silence. They sit equidistant apart all starring into telephones.

Sit on the train and every person on every platform is starring into a telephone.

Now to communicate in break times people send each other emails and texts. They're sitting next to each other!

This would make a good thread actually. Pics of whole groups starring into phones.

^^^ I'm gonna post you an email ditty I write occasionally....

it's all about this anti-social phenomena/behaviour exacerbated

in the 21st century by "Smart Phones". Back in the latter 20th

Century most anti-social behaviour was brought about by the

advent of the Walkman & it's plethora of variants; although on

long flights the Walkman had it's advantages...I owned a few

of em just for this purpose. Ahhhhh....that was yesterday....

^^^ I'm gonna post you an email ditty I write occasionally....

it's all about this anti-social phenomena/behaviour exacerbated

in the 21st century by "Smart Phones". Back in the latter 20th

Century most anti-social behaviour was brought about by the

advent of the Walkman & it's plethora of variants; although on

long flights the Walkman had it's advantages...I owned a few

of em just for this purpose. Ahhhhh....that was yesterday....

And before the Walkman . . .

ghetto_blaster.jpg

^^ Years ago in construction, the tea room was always the best laugh. I mean there was seriously funny blokes about then. Now. Silence. They sit equidistant apart all starring into telephones.

Sit on the train and every person on every platform is starring into a telephone.

Now to communicate in break times people send each other emails and texts. They're sitting next to each other!

This would make a good thread actually. Pics of whole groups starring into phones.

The offshore industry is the same mate. Use to have a great craick in the tea shacks and offshift. All changed now sad.png

Terrified of Street Photography? So Am I! Here’s How I Do It

http://digital-photography-school.com/terrified-street-photography-heres

Nice link.

I think most people start out a bit timid when doing street photography. When I started shooting some 47 years ago, I was a bit timid as well. My high school yearbook editor told me to get over it and turn in some usable people pictures or turn in my (the school's) camera. Well, I loved photography too much to turn it in so I sucked it up and just started shooting. Once I found out that most people were ok with it, the fear gradually subsided. I'm still a respectful shooter (no means no) but no longer timid about shooting.

To quote Paul Newman's summation to the jury in the verdict, "Act as if ye had faith... and faith will be given to you."

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice link.

I think most people start out a bit timid when doing street photography. When I started shooting some 47 years ago, I was a bit timid as well. My high school yearbook editor told me to get over it and turn in some usable people pictures or turn in my (the school's) camera. Well, I loved photography too much to turn it in so I sucked it up and just started shooting. Once I found out that most people were ok with it, the fear gradually subsided. I'm still a respectful shooter (no means no) but no longer timid about shooting.

To quote Paul Newman's summation to the jury in the verdict, "Act as if ye had faith... and faith will be given to you."

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I was timid with it before but I've gone a bit more Bruce Gilden, but without the aggression.

@MJP, please open the new topic soon. I took few photos already, which could fit to the topic :)

The realization moment just before first gig to a larger crowd. He did well, very well. Boy is 7 years old and there were few hundred people watching his performance.

2014-02-09_18-27-31.jpg

Nice link.

David

Missed that link before but just read it and is informative. Especially the comments after. I also am very shy about photographing others. However, when I was traveling in India I was taking a lot of 'street photography' without knowing what the term meant. I have some really good ones that I'm very pleased with that really tells a story about the people and the life around them. Maybe I need to be a tourist again, seems I'm a bit braver when doing the shots. In India I would raise the camera to my eye and see what the reaction was. If positive then would proceed with several shots, if not would just lower it and walk to somewhere else. But seems never ran into a situation where I received a negative response.

@MJP, please open the new topic soon. I took few photos already, which could fit to the topic smile.png

The realization moment just before first gig to a larger crowd. He did well, very well. Boy is 7 years old and there were few hundred people watching his performance.

2014-02-09_18-27-31.jpg

Oli, go ahead, make it your topic.

Nope, your idea, your topic. Just to nullify possible status quo, I come from a country where we are used to wait for months just to wait for the sun to rise after the polar night. :D

For the street photography. I was at the start quite put off by the definition as the genre should have been ironic or sarcastic. Somewhat negative feelings.

After a while I realized that, at least for me, the street photography is to capture the essence of the real life, most of the times before the people who are photographed realise the situation. The purity of life.

This weekend I tried to capture more of the kids, than I usually do. The reason was that they are showing their true feelings, as we adults are able to control our outlook better.

2014-02-09_18-44-18.jpg

Nope, your idea, your topic. Just to nullify possible status quo, I come from a country where we are used to wait for months just to wait for the sun to rise after the polar night. biggrin.png

For the street photography. I was at the start quite put off by the definition as the genre should have been ironic or sarcastic. Somewhat negative feelings.

After a while I realized that, at least for me, the street photography is to capture the essence of the real life, most of the times before the people who are photographed realise the situation. The purity of life.

This weekend I tried to capture more of the kids, than I usually do. The reason was that they are showing their true feelings, as we adults are able to control our outlook better.

2014-02-09_18-44-18.jpg

No time, flat out.

Archived