Night Life In Kalasin

awayfoe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isn't any "Farang" type nightlife in Kalasin, but several / many Thai type clubs / bars / Disco.... Brand new club on the right hand side of the road as you come into Kalasin from the first exit coming from Yang Talat / khon kaen... Just a little past the entrance to the Rim Pao Hotel....

Plus the Clubs around the Bus Station as well...

Pianoman

You could also check out a little cluster of bars/suan ahaan quite near Tesco. Coming from Yang Talat (and ignoring the left turn leading to the City and the Rimpao) take a left turn a couple of hundred metres before you would pass Tesco on the right. You will see King Karaoke on the left and the food bars on the right, lit up with fairy lights. Be warned that the fare is of variable quality. I shall have to sample the new club near the Rimpao as I haven't been there yet. The hotel itself has a cellar bar with coyote dancers, but it does not get going until late and wasn't much good last time I went. I think there is also a disco near Kalasin Plaza but have never been there,

Thanks George. Apart from MV disco, the only one I haven't been to is this new club just past the Rimpao (which I hadn't noticed). I wonder if anybody can suggest any more? There must be the odd karaoke about. I did see one in a shack on the ring road towards Yang Talat, but it was dire.

There is a Karaoke behind the Entertainment Complex at the bus station, but I have never been in it.

Have been several times. Inside the place is big and very noisy (to the point that conversations become near impossible) with TV screens and soft chairs/sofas. I have yet to see more than a few customers at any one time. Interestingly I bumped into a karaoke girl I talked with there in one of the bars opposite King Karaoke (your Soi Pattaya) a few months later. You can park right outside but if on foot beware of the soi dogs.

Incidentally isn't the music bar that you like up the steps at the side of the bus station Tawan Daeng? They have them in most of the bigger Isaan towns now (next nearest to Kalasin is Maha Sarakham).

I quite liked Darra Bar when they had coyote dancers, and I think you had mentioned that you went from time to time (though you described it at the time of your posts as a go-go bar). However, last time I went there there was just a lounge with a couple of singers.

Am in the UK now so can't go on any fact-finding excursions for a few months,

P.S. I fleshed out what we know already from internet sources. For that reason this may not be 100% accurate but is something to check out.

MV Disco (near Kalasin Plaza)

Dara Bar (bus station)

[media]

[media]

Tawan Daeng (bus station)

This exceeds post size limit so please type'www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv92f5_aFcY'

Hi-Class Karaoke (behind Tawan Daeng near bus station)

King Pap Karaoke, 32 Thanon Pradit, about 1 km north of bus station on what is effectively a big roundabout with temple in the middle as you come from the Rimpao.

King Karaoke, Chai Sunthon Road – opposite sing song bars

SR Karaoke - follow Chai Sunthon Road on other side of 213 bypass (away from city near Tesco) on right circa 200 metres.

• 9 months later...

The new club is the L Club, and my 30 year old niece says the patrons are too young. On Wednesday Dec. 11/13 I went to the first bar on the left, coming from the opposite direction of the highway, on Soi Pattaya and it was good as usual, they always seem to have girls that can carry a tune. On Wednesday a girl who has been there before and then left was back. This girl can sing. She just blows me away, and she can sing English songs. I think she is better than anyone I have heard on Voice. It's worth a trip just to hear her.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...

kalasin my other half from there its as dead as a maggot that place

Different strokes for different folks. I find the nightlife in Kalasin is quite good. It has several singsong bars, a couple of night clubs, and in the High Class Complex across from the bus station one of the best rock in roll discos with great live bands I have ever been in. Per capital there are probably as many if not more entertainment places in Kalasin than any other town in Thailand. The one thing it is missing out on are good farang restaurants, other than for Amadeus, and to a lesser extent Frozen there really isn't anything. Then again most small cities aren't any better.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 months later...

How many people on this forum are from Kalasin City or Province?

My wife is from Kalasin, had a wedding at that big city convention hall not far from the hospital and city hall. We are in Canada now but I'm warming to the idea of heading over there.

I'm looking for information on Kalasin Real Estate, vacant lots, prices, what is and isn't available, what things I should know about. I'm considering options for going over there and retiring young, running businesses possibilities ranging from a tour company or setting up a retirement community for Farang.

Its funny reading this as there are a couple things I know about. My Canadian guests were staying at the Rim Pao Hotel for example...

kalasin my other half from there its as dead as a maggot that place

I have to admit that I don't know too much about Kalasin and what's going on there, but I'm pretty much sure that it's the same as in other small towns in Isaan. And in my hometown Maha Sarakham there is a lot going on. Day and night.

When other foreigners express this kind of feeling towards places in Isaan they normally do not know what they are talking about. Strangely they often think they are "experts" on Isaan after being there"once or twice" visiting the in laws.

Kalasin is my favourite city in Thailand. It has little traffic, is small and a good portion of it is with walking distance. There is really no Farang type entertainment, but lots of Thai. It seems to be one of the few places left in Thailand, that has what I call "Sing Song Bars" places where ladies get up and sign. As a matter of fact many of these singers come from different parts of Isaan, because Kalasin is one of the only places they can get a job doing this. Unfortunately even Kalasin is losing these bars. My favourite live music venue in all the world is in Kalasin, across from the bus station. There is a restaurant that when it's open has fantastic European food at really good prices. A nice lake to walk around and it has gym, but I have never used it so don't know how good it is.

Kalasin is my favourite city in Thailand. It has little traffic, is small and a good portion of it is with walking distance. There is really no Farang type entertainment, but lots of Thai. It seems to be one of the few places left in Thailand, that has what I call "Sing Song Bars" places where ladies get up and sign. As a matter of fact many of these singers come from different parts of Isaan, because Kalasin is one of the only places they can get a job doing this. Unfortunately even Kalasin is losing these bars. My favourite live music venue in all the world is in Kalasin, across from the bus station. There is a restaurant that when it's open has fantastic European food at really good prices. A nice lake to walk around and it has gym, but I have never used it so don't know how good it is.

Do you know the name of this restaurant that "has fantastic European food". And where in Kalasin can I find it?

The name is Amadeus, the owner is Wolfgang, but I don't know where it is now, he was opening a new location, and don't even know if it has opened yet.

I know where he is now,

In Kalasin, coming from the Supak Hotel towards Kamalasai/Roi-Et, you will see the tennis courts on the left, Amadeus is on the right after the Tennis courts just before the traffic lights. If you go across the traffic lights you will see the Schools on the left, eventually coming to a roundabout, this is too far.

There is a sign outside which is easy to spot.

totster :)

My wife is from Kalasin, had a wedding at that big city convention hall not far from the hospital and city hall. We are in Canada now but I'm warming to the idea of heading over there.

I'm looking for information on Kalasin Real Estate, vacant lots, prices, what is and isn't available, what things I should know about. I'm considering options for going over there and retiring young, running businesses possibilities ranging from a tour company or setting up a retirement community for Farang.

Its funny reading this as there are a couple things I know about. My Canadian guests were staying at the Rim Pao Hotel for example...

You can dwell on the "Business-Opportunity" part later on. For now, you only have to focus on 2 things: On what long-term visa will you be staying and above all, you will have to look up the "work-permit-situation" for Farangs in Thailand. An absolute MUST.

Cheers.

The name is Amadeus, the owner is Wolfgang, but I don't know where it is now, he was opening a new location, and don't even know if it has opened yet.

I know where he is now,

In Kalasin, coming from the Supak Hotel towards Kamalasai/Roi-Et, you will see the tennis courts on the left, Amadeus is on the right after the Tennis courts just before the traffic lights. If you go across the traffic lights you will see the Schools on the left, eventually coming to a roundabout, this is too far.

There is a sign outside which is easy to spot.

totster smile.png

Thank you! Must try that place soon...

Toaster, is Amadeus open now and if so what days. I am thinking of a trip this week.

Amadeus is not only open again, but now open Monday thru Saturday, 8:30 am until 8:PM... But Wolfgang really doesn't show up until about 10: am, up until then it is just his wife and helpers who are serving mostly Thai items to teachers from the various schools in the area... The New location is very nice and they seem to be doing a lot more business since the move... Same good menu items and as usual multiple "Specials" listed on the large White Board... They don't really have a sign on the building, but look for their large "A" frame board sign in front listing Pizza's and such... It is next door to the "Alpha English School" which is a small one shop wide place...

Pianonman

You can dwell on the "Business-Opportunity" part later on. For now, you only have to focus on 2 things: On what long-term visa will you be staying and above all, you will have to look up the "work-permit-situation" for Farangs in Thailand. An absolute MUST.

Cheers.

I was thinking with the wife being a Thai National I'd be on a Marriage Visa for the first 3 years and then Permanent Resident after that. Seemed like they didn't want to recognize Dual citizenship so that would be out but Permanent Residence would suffice for me.

We'd wait till she acquires her Canadian Citizenship because from what I read she is allowed to be a dual citizenship and under the Canadian Constitution once you've got citizenship they can't take it away ever.

I suppose I should do a little more reading into the work permits. If you are the owner you still need a work permit?

SilverBeast, King Stephen just passed a law that takes away Canadian Citizenship, even from native born Canadians, if they have dual citizenship and are convicted terrorists. Although it is being challenged in the courts, and I doubt your wife is a terrorist.

SilverBeast, King Stephen just passed a law that takes away Canadian Citizenship, even from native born Canadians, if they have dual citizenship and are convicted terrorists. Although it is being challenged in the courts, and I doubt your wife is a terrorist.

Thank you for the first TV laugh of the day (I doubt...)

Archived