'missing' Swiss Student Discovered In Ranong Prison Pleads Guilty

'Missing' Swiss student discovered in Ranong prison pleads guilty

Phuket Gazette

st.jpg

Ms Janisch pled guilty to a charge of theft in a Ranong Court and received a one-year suspended sentence. Photo: Travelfish

PHUKET: -- The Swiss student, who was thought to be missing for a month before being found in Ranong Prison, has pleaded guilty to the theft charges levied against her after she balked at an immigration overstay fine and stole an immigration officer’s camera.

newsjs

When Tscherina Nora Janisch, a 22-year-old Swiss exchange student, refused to pay a three-day visa overstay fine, she was arrested by Ranong Immigration officers (story here). While officers were processing her arrest, Ms Janisch picked up an immigration officer’s Canon PowerShot A640 and put it in her pocket.

At the time, Ms Janisch denied that she had stolen the camera.

However, Ms Janisch pleaded guilty in the Ranong Court on February 9, the Phuket Gazette was told by a court officer.

“She received a 6,000 baht fine and was sentenced to seven months in prison,” the officer said.

“However, because she pleaded guilty, she received a one-year suspended sentence,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ilty-20283.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would even risk what this woman risked. I know from time to time we have issues with Thai people That is the cultural devide but to try and steal a camera is stupid To try and steal a camera from an Emigration officer is moronic .

I would have been better to just pay the overstay and go Now she had to sit in prison and pay a 6,000 baht fine

Lady take a hard look in the mirror

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would even risk what this woman risked. I know from time to time we have issues with Thai people That is the cultural devide but to try and steal a camera is stupid To try and steal a camera from an Emigration officer is moronic .

It was an obvious 'fit up' get the idea?

Young women traveling alone are prey for all sorts of men and of trouble.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

So now she doesn't have to worry about visa extension and all? clap2.gif

Was thinking, that maybe she plead guilty so she could leave Thailand, i'm sure she was told she would only receive a suspended sentence.... I do think i would have done same thing is was in her shoes ;)

Shouldn't this be in the Krabi forum? as this concerns Ranong, and the Krabi Forum covers the Andaman coast.

Isn't Ranong a bit closer to Phuket than Krabi? Not sure, of the exact kilometers between the three. I just know that Ranong is on the Phuket side of the Phang Nga Bay. But yes, pretty stupid to be caught with an immigration officer's camera when she refused to pay an overstay fine...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1