'missing' Swiss Student Discovered In Ranong Prison Pleads Guilty

webfact

This is what happens when you tug on Superman's cape. You get banged up over someone losing face and have to grovel for your freedom. The whole story is preposterous.

I think Maudid had it spot on. What really happened? A Smart Ass Swiss Girl steps on some Thai Toes and now must eat what ever humble pie that is served. It called "This is my country. don't forget it. And remember to smile."

In other words I don't trust the official account.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would speculate that the real story is something like this: She overstays her visa and the Immigration guy tells her the fine and she gets angry and starts moving her mouth without much thought. She insults them, causes a commotion etc. She is put into a room to calm down. I don't think that a camera would be laying around the room. But maybe it was or maybe not. But she pissed off the Immigration people. And they took revenge. Then she is scared and she says she is sorry and they work out a deal to end the matter. There also might have been a sexual aspect to this and the camera incident is a smokescreen.

You are probably right that she pissed of the immigration officers by not paying what is required by law and written for all to see. The rest of your post is pure conjecture and a bit ridiculous! Have you ever been to the Ranong Immigration Office? It is very busy. They don't have time to deal with idiots. The over stay fines are very clear. Always have been. She acted like a twit and had to have her mom come and bail her ass out. She hopefully learned a lesson. I've been through that immigration many times years ago and never had any problem, as I abided by the law and did my visa run on time.

I went to Ranong for a visa run once. Before I went I was given the okay by immigration in Phuket on what day my visa would expire. (I was new here at that point.) The "officer" decided to read the visa differently, and took me for 3000 baht. Since then I went back to Ranong to visit TG's family. While I was there I had more than a few beers with the son of said immigration officer. I nicely recanted my story with his father. He told me "drink all you want" and they were probably drinking on my money anyway.

The son lived in Bangkok and was on the run for some red shirt stunt at the time. Red or yellow, it doesn't matter too me by the way.

The way I see it is, she got mouthy with the guy because she felt wronged for one reason or another. whistling.gif He lost what little face he had, decided on getting revenge and put a charge on her. Girls don't usually steal. Whether there was a sexual aspect or not, he clearly f'd her over.

• Like 1

so over stay 3 days and steal a camera ...7 months prison for Farang ...

Kill a British couple on the road .... free on bail for a Thai

No need for explanation ...... that is called 2 speeds outrageous justice .....

Yet we can visit Thailand without prior visa, and Thais can't visit us. Not that I'm unhappy about it, on the contrary. The regulations are not tight enough yet for people like these.

yes you are right but you should think why the reciprocity is not working for Visa ... many Thais disappeared on tourist visa and end up working in Asian restaurant, massage parlors or bars all over Europe or the US , illegally.

so over stay 3 days and steal a camera ...7 months prison for Farang ...

Kill a British couple on the road .... free on bail for a Thai

No need for explanation ...... that is called 2 speeds outrageous justice .....

Not really. It is called little to no justice. The LOS has one of the most dysfunctional justice systems in the world, according to some of my friends that have been in front of Thai judges. Nearly non-existent "justice". Just another area with the LOS is 20-40 years behind the developed world.

• Like 1

...you should think why the reciprocity is not working for Visa ... many Thais disappeared on tourist visa and end up working in Asian restaurant, massage parlors or bars all over Europe or the US , illegally.

Hmmm... as many as farrangs who end up working and staying here illegally I'd guess... Seems like perfect reciprocity to me!!!

Bottom line is that no one on this site has the slightest idea of whether she was guily or not.

If you recall they had detained her for some time without notifying her embassy which in itself is an illegal act.. Is it, in this contrived and corrupted country, not possible that she was fitted up fot this. It makes as much sense as the idiocy of the act of stealing a immegration officials camera.

In Thailand both the police and the justice system ensure that the moral high ground consumes so much time and money and emotional suffering thus rendering it out of reach to most, especialy tourists.

As to the guilty plea, that is a no brainer and any Thai counsel would advise that she should plead guilty as a plea of not guilty pisses these these people off and puts the accused in even greater distress. A guilty plea becomes damage control in such circumstances.

The authorities know that they can get away with almost anything with foreginers owing to the contrivance within the so called legal system. Simply put , it is beyond contempt.

What does a 1 year suspended sentence mean?

It means if you confess to anything they want, you get to go home straight away.

(You also have to withdraw any accusations of police sexual assault while you were held incommunicado)

You know more than others?

I never have read that there was a "An accusation of police sexual assault". blink.png

Lets hope we and other tourists now get to hear her side of the story.

Without the threat of repercussions, I'm very sure it will be different to the Thai version!

Yeah, I believe same different, than the Australian (good looking) "brats" own, "different" story, she told in Australia, who claimed,

she had been raped from TukTuk driver and others in Patong. rolleyes.gif

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would even risk what this woman risked. I know from time to time we have issues with Thai people That is the cultural devide but to try and steal a camera is stupid To try and steal a camera from an Emigration officer is moronic .

It was an obvious 'fit up' get the idea?

Young women traveling alone are prey for all sorts of men and of trouble.

I know that Immigration office well, never witnessed any problem there, had never a problem there.

Paid myself overstay at that Immigration.

You can back up your claims? whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I would speculate that the real story is something like this: She overstays her visa and the Immigration guy tells her the fine and she gets angry and starts moving her mouth without much thought. She insults them, causes a commotion etc. She is put into a room to calm down. I don't think that a camera would be laying around the room. But maybe it was or maybe not. But she pissed off the Immigration people. And they took revenge. Then she is scared and she says she is sorry and they work out a deal to end the matter. There also might have been a sexual aspect to this and the camera incident is a smokescreen.

Ever tried to write novels and scripts? rolleyes.gif

I would suspect that she was quite rude and possibly threw off a few insults while refusing to pay the overstay fine.....

..... and was taught a lesson in the importance of Thai manners.

Wonder what evidence there was of the theft charge, besides the statements of the immigration officials on duty.... Now after your months and months in a Thia prison you can plead guilty and go home, or fight the case and be remanded back in prison while we delay the case... it's Thailand, up2u.

This is what happens when you tug on Superman's cape. You get banged up over someone losing face and have to grovel for your freedom. The whole story is preposterous.

I think Maudid had it spot on. What really happened? A Smart Ass Swiss Girl steps on some Thai Toes and now must eat what ever humble pie that is served. It called "This is my country. don't forget it. And remember to smile."

Not to trust that the official version is your right and opinion,

But, if you so suspicious of the Thai Immigration Offices, I would not dare to come near Thailand!

Everything can happen to you.

Even placing a Joint and some Ganja in your Backpack.

Would be more plausible for everybody, than that "camera story", No?rolleyes.gif

You are probably right that she pissed of the immigration officers by not paying what is required by law and written for all to see. The rest of your post is pure conjecture and a bit ridiculous! Have you ever been to the Ranong Immigration Office? It is very busy. They don't have time to deal with idiots. The over stay fines are very clear. Always have been. She acted like a twit and had to have her mom come and bail her ass out. She hopefully learned a lesson. I've been through that immigration many times years ago and never had any problem, as I abided by the law and did my visa run on time.

I went to Ranong for a visa run once. Before I went I was given the okay by immigration in Phuket on what day my visa would expire. (I was new here at that point.) The "officer" decided to read the visa differently, and took me for 3000 baht. Since then I went back to Ranong to visit TG's family. While I was there I had more than a few beers with the son of said immigration officer. I nicely recanted my story with his father. He told me "drink all you want" and they were probably drinking on my money anyway.

The son lived in Bangkok and was on the run for some red shirt stunt at the time. Red or yellow, it doesn't matter too me by the way.

The way I see it is, she got mouthy with the guy because she felt wronged for one reason or another. whistling.gif He lost what little face he had, decided on getting revenge and put a charge on her. Girls don't usually steal. Whether there was a sexual aspect or not, he clearly f'd her over.

Be more precise about your Visa-Overstay?-story and I tell you, who was in the wrong.

You needed an Immigration officer in Phuket, to read a date in your Passport for you?

You new to Thailand, but you could read, no?

You made a border run and than the problem must already have happened, you had an Overstay.

Same story with the girl, maybe you should not have payed the 3.000 Baht = 6 days since some years, or even 15 days with (200 Baht a day) some more years back and could tell us now more about the outcome! tongue.png

"Girls don't usually steal"? Yes, but crazy things happen!

They just booked, Tourist-Ladies - not so young! stealing in shopping centers.

http://www.pattayada...our fingertips)

http://www.pattayada...festival-store/

"he clearly f'd her over." ?

You can prove that, "clearly", ok, please enlighten me, with your prove!

I come to TH since 1990, I live here since 1998 many years in Patong, now in Isaan, have 3 children,

always some small discussions with the Authorities officials and state agencies regarding children and my Visas -

about TING TONG ridiculous laws.

I was in many Immigration offices,

Patong - Phuket town - Ranong - Bangkok head office - Korat-Nakhon Ratchasima - Khon Kaen - Udon Thani - Nong Khai

Had more than one traffic accident with police report ect.

But I cannot tell you one rip off scam story happening to me from Authorities! wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Not to trust that the official version is your right and opinion,

But, if you so suspicious of the Thai Immigration Offices, I would not dare to come near Thailand!

Everything can happen to you.

Even placing a Joint and some Ganja in your Backpack.

Would be more plausible for everybody, than that "camera story", No?rolleyes.gif

NO! I wouldn't think that any immigration officials would be carrying a convenient joint or some ganja to fit someone up with, a camera sounds much more plausible.

Think again about the meaning of plausibility. rolleyes.gif

I love your Thai drinking story...

I've exited and re-entered at least six times at the Ranong Immigration Office and never had any problem at all. Yeah sure, everyone is out to get you, especially if you don't know what you're doing!

• Like 1

NO! I wouldn't think that any immigration officials would be carrying a convenient joint or some ganja to fit someone up with, a camera sounds much more plausible.

Think again about the meaning of plausibility. rolleyes.gif

I thought before and "plausible" I was there many times in Ranong, know the place.

The Immigration office, officers in Ranong with extensive trade and smuggling going on between Ranong

and Kauwthung Victoria Point in Burma-Myanmar, is also responsible for checking any goods brought in from Myanmar.

Contraband, illegal substances, a lot!

I believe, they have always something in their "Contraband found" room,

including, "Amphetamine" ect.

But that, would be a bit harsh to use, I think! rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I love your Thai drinking story...

I've exited and re-entered at least six times at the Ranong Immigration Office and never had any problem at all. Yeah sure, everyone is out to get you, especially if you don't know what you're doing!

You're very correct, they will get you for what they can, if they think they can.

I went to the Phuket Imm office so I had an official rendering of my date. When the officer in Ranong decided to interpret it differently, I got a bit indignant too. He quickly went to, "your not going to pay?" which I read as, "get ready to go to jail". Leopards rarely change their spots...

I got some of my money back over the beers. :)

Maybe she did do it. Maybe she didn't steal the camera.

But if you are told, plead guilty and you'll get a suspended sentence and get out of this prison and plead not guilty and the trial could last for 2 years during which time you will be held in custody, what might you do?

Be like a Thai, once you get in serious trouble,deserved or not, with the authorities here, pay them off at the first opportunity. It is the Thai way.

The poster who said she has been in prison for 7 months is incorrect, it's 7 weeks.

Yep! Plea guilty and get a less sentence, it happened to a guy i know. He was given a lift in a stolen car (unknown to him) and they were caught by the cops. He wanted to plead not guilty as he did not know the car was stolen. But was told that if he pleaded not guilty he would probably get 7 to 8 years, so he had to

plead guilty and got 2 yrs reduced and deported...............THAI justice stinks !

Edited by oldsailor35

You're very correct, they will get you for what they can, if they think they can.

I went to the Phuket Imm office so I had an official rendering of my date. When the officer in Ranong decided to interpret it differently, I got a bit indignant too. He quickly went to, "your not going to pay?" which I read as, "get ready to go to jail". Leopards rarely change their spots...

I got some of my money back over the beers. smile.png

Please, try to be more precise.

I am interested in that Ranong problem you had, everybody, can learn from that and can avoid incorrect interpretations,

if you aware what you have to look for.

You went to the Phuket Immigration office in Phuket town or Patong? Patong got downgraded some time ago,

No extensions for Tourist Visas and extensions of stay of Visa exemptions, there, since some years.

Something you got there, depends on the year, can be invalid.

Visiting, the Phuket (Patong) Immigration, you had in your Passport, what kind of permit to stay in TH, Tourist Visa? for extension of a month?

Non Immigrant -O- Visa? or 30 (15) days visa exemption stamp?

The Phuket Immigration, gave you an extension for how many days? Asked for how much money?

You had than a new date stamped in your Passport, at which you had to leave TH and on that date or before that date you visited the Ranong Immigration-border control?

<snip>

Edited by soundman
Baiting.

I have removed a number of posts from a multi-person bickering session. Please try to keep it civil without getting personal and name calling.

I noticed this is not the first time in this topic that posts have been removed for bickering. If you cannot refrain, please do not post.

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would even risk what this woman risked. I know from time to time we have issues with Thai people That is the cultural devide but to try and steal a camera is stupid To try and steal a camera from an Emigration officer is moronic .

I would have been better to just pay the overstay and go Now she had to sit in prison and pay a 6,000 baht fine

Lady take a hard look in the mirror

bad advice.even with a soft look in the mirror she would faint