BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

'missing' Swiss Student Discovered In Ranong Prison Pleads Guilty

This is what happens when you tug on Superman's cape. You get banged up over someone losing face and have to grovel for your freedom. The whole story is preposterous.

I think Maudid had it spot on. What really happened? A Smart Ass Swiss Girl steps on some Thai Toes and now must eat what ever humble pie that is served. It called "This is my country. don't forget it. And remember to smile."

In other words I don't trust the official account.

I would speculate that the real story is something like this: She overstays her visa and the Immigration guy tells her the fine and she gets angry and starts moving her mouth without much thought. She insults them, causes a commotion etc. She is put into a room to calm down. I don't think that a camera would be laying around the room. But maybe it was or maybe not. But she pissed off the Immigration people. And they took revenge. Then she is scared and she says she is sorry and they work out a deal to end the matter. There also might have been a sexual aspect to this and the camera incident is a smokescreen.

You are probably right that she pissed of the immigration officers by not paying what is required by law and written for all to see. The rest of your post is pure conjecture and a bit ridiculous! Have you ever been to the Ranong Immigration Office? It is very busy. They don't have time to deal with idiots. The over stay fines are very clear. Always have been. She acted like a twit and had to have her mom come and bail her ass out. She hopefully learned a lesson. I've been through that immigration many times years ago and never had any problem, as I abided by the law and did my visa run on time.

I went to Ranong for a visa run once. Before I went I was given the okay by immigration in Phuket on what day my visa would expire. (I was new here at that point.) The "officer" decided to read the visa differently, and took me for 3000 baht. Since then I went back to Ranong to visit TG's family. While I was there I had more than a few beers with the son of said immigration officer. I nicely recanted my story with his father. He told me "drink all you want" and they were probably drinking on my money anyway.

The son lived in Bangkok and was on the run for some red shirt stunt at the time. Red or yellow, it doesn't matter too me by the way.

The way I see it is, she got mouthy with the guy because she felt wronged for one reason or another. whistling.gif He lost what little face he had, decided on getting revenge and put a charge on her. Girls don't usually steal. Whether there was a sexual aspect or not, he clearly f'd her over.

• Like 1

Gonna make some man's life a real treat some day... haha

Yes indeed, she's got that crazy look in her eyes.

so over stay 3 days and steal a camera ...7 months prison for Farang ...

Kill a British couple on the road .... free on bail for a Thai

No need for explanation ...... that is called 2 speeds outrageous justice .....

Yet we can visit Thailand without prior visa, and Thais can't visit us. Not that I'm unhappy about it, on the contrary. The regulations are not tight enough yet for people like these.

yes you are right but you should think why the reciprocity is not working for Visa ... many Thais disappeared on tourist visa and end up working in Asian restaurant, massage parlors or bars all over Europe or the US , illegally.

(It means that if she doesn't commit any more offences in Thailand within one year, she will not go to gaol.)

how come the didn't just kick her out of the country ??

so over stay 3 days and steal a camera ...7 months prison for Farang ...

Kill a British couple on the road .... free on bail for a Thai

No need for explanation ...... that is called 2 speeds outrageous justice .....

Not really. It is called little to no justice. The LOS has one of the most dysfunctional justice systems in the world, according to some of my friends that have been in front of Thai judges. Nearly non-existent "justice". Just another area with the LOS is 20-40 years behind the developed world.

• Like 1

...you should think why the reciprocity is not working for Visa ... many Thais disappeared on tourist visa and end up working in Asian restaurant, massage parlors or bars all over Europe or the US , illegally.

Hmmm... as many as farrangs who end up working and staying here illegally I'd guess... Seems like perfect reciprocity to me!!!

Bottom line is that no one on this site has the slightest idea of whether she was guily or not.

If you recall they had detained her for some time without notifying her embassy which in itself is an illegal act.. Is it, in this contrived and corrupted country, not possible that she was fitted up fot this. It makes as much sense as the idiocy of the act of stealing a immegration officials camera.

In Thailand both the police and the justice system ensure that the moral high ground consumes so much time and money and emotional suffering thus rendering it out of reach to most, especialy tourists.

As to the guilty plea, that is a no brainer and any Thai counsel would advise that she should plead guilty as a plea of not guilty pisses these these people off and puts the accused in even greater distress. A guilty plea becomes damage control in such circumstances.

The authorities know that they can get away with almost anything with foreginers owing to the contrivance within the so called legal system. Simply put , it is beyond contempt.

What does a 1 year suspended sentence mean?

It means if you confess to anything they want, you get to go home straight away.

(You also have to withdraw any accusations of police sexual assault while you were held incommunicado)

You know more than others?

I never have read that there was a "An accusation of police sexual assault". blink.png

Lets hope we and other tourists now get to hear her side of the story.

Without the threat of repercussions, I'm very sure it will be different to the Thai version!

Yeah, I believe same different, than the Australian (good looking) "brats" own, "different" story, she told in Australia, who claimed,

she had been raped from TukTuk driver and others in Patong. rolleyes.gif

For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would even risk what this woman risked. I know from time to time we have issues with Thai people That is the cultural devide but to try and steal a camera is stupid To try and steal a camera from an Emigration officer is moronic .

It was an obvious 'fit up' get the idea?

Young women traveling alone are prey for all sorts of men and of trouble.

I know that Immigration office well, never witnessed any problem there, had never a problem there.

Paid myself overstay at that Immigration.

You can back up your claims? whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I would speculate that the real story is something like this: She overstays her visa and the Immigration guy tells her the fine and she gets angry and starts moving her mouth without much thought. She insults them, causes a commotion etc. She is put into a room to calm down. I don't think that a camera would be laying around the room. But maybe it was or maybe not. But she pissed off the Immigration people. And they took revenge. Then she is scared and she says she is sorry and they work out a deal to end the matter. There also might have been a sexual aspect to this and the camera incident is a smokescreen.

Ever tried to write novels and scripts? rolleyes.gif

So now she doesn't have to worry about visa extension and all? clap2.gif

Ha! Indeed! Well played Swiss girl!